Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crabbing

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Regardless of WNM’s answer I’m curious to hear your reason for asking the question. I haven’t (knock on wood) had a trap taken at Edisto. I’ve had them taken from North Inlet, but there have been times I’ve wondered if someone emptied my trap before I got to it.
    Carry a bag of zip ties with you and zip tie the trap closed. It won’t really stop the theft but it at least helps answer the question of whether you’re getting robbed or just throwing them in a bad spot.

I started using zip ties on my traps, then they just got stolen.

Georgetown area...

They make timed release zinc straps so you can strap the float to the weighted trap and the float pops up when the zinc corrodes. That makes them vulnerable to thieves and renegade crabbers for less time.

http://neptunemarineproducts.com/gal...imed-releases/

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    They make timed release zinc straps so you can strap the float to the weighted trap and the float pops up when the zinc corrodes. That makes them vulnerable to thieves and renegade crabbers for less time.

These are genius. If I crabbed more than once a year I’d get them in a heart beat.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

THIS is why I stick around this forum. Those are cool gonna have to give them a try.

Evidently they are thick right off my lift at GLM from the number of pots that SOB is throwing down there.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 07-27-2020 at 04:18 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Where did you have them set and at what time did you set them?
    Near the Spanish mount, afternoon high tide on the 2nd, maybe 6:30. I’ve never even suspected they’ve been emptied by anyone before. It was a big tide that weekend, but I’ve never had them drag bottom more than 25 yards. I spent 3 hours looking.

I had a pot emptied by someone within a hundred yards of that spot a few years back.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Evidently they are thick right off my lift at GLM from the number of pots that SOB is throwing down there.
    There are laws regulating how close pots can be soaked near a private dock FYI
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Near the Spanish mount, afternoon high tide on the 2nd, maybe 6:30. I’ve never even suspected they’ve been emptied by anyone before. It was a big tide that weekend, but I’ve never had them drag bottom more than 25 yards. I spent 3 hours looking.
    I can tell you with almost certainty that trap was carried out by the tide. It was 7+ those days. I've had a dozen people tell me that the commercial guys cut pot lines up there. The only problem with that is we are the commercial guys. Stealing crab and traps is something we don't do or tolerate. However if you set your traps right on top of mine and they get tangle, I may or may not move them over.
    What happens is that trap tumbles and wraps your line up leaving you less and less scope. Then it just heads on down the creek never to be seen again. We have 90ft of line on our pots and this still happens. I have seen them get pulled a 1/4 mile. I watched a pot bobbing up and down go by the shrimp dock last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

And just because you don't have crab doesn't mean they were stolen.
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.

Also my favorite is when people set their traps at low tide in a spot that their line isn't capable of handling the depth at high tide.

I can tell you with almost certainty that trap was carried out by the tide. It was 7+ those days. I've had a dozen people tell me that the commercial guys cut pot lines up there. The only problem with that is we are the commercial guys. Stealing crab and traps is something we don't do or tolerate. However if you set your traps right on top of mine and they get tangle, I may or may not move them over.
    What happens is that trap tumbles and wraps your line up leaving you less and less scope. Then it just heads on down the creek never to be seen again. We have 90ft of line on our pots and this still happens. I have seen them get pulled a 1/4 mile. I watched a pot bobbing up and down go by the shrimp dock last week.

If you put a big eye swivel connecting your line to the trap that won’t happen....... commercial guy. :smiliethingy:
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    There are laws regulating how close pots can be soaked near a private dock FYI
    Yep, I had buoys 20’ off my lift. It’s a big enough PITA to get the boat on it with an incoming tide, throw in pots every 20-30’ and it’s a real challenge. Not sure if the marina got him, DNR or the Coast Guard but they were gone Saturday. Dude had pots 50’ off the USCG pier and boat.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    If you put a big eye swivel connecting your line to the trap that won’t happen....... commercial guy. :smiliethingy:
    I have seen that before. Seems like it would keep the line from twisting as bad but fail to see where it would keep the trap from tumbling due to to much current, and not enough weight and scope.

I’m not accusing commercial guys of anything. There were no other traps within sight. I’m sure it was some trash in town for the weekend. I know you have been making a point to show that you are the Bogster of all things Edisto, but I have trouble believing 4 traps got wrapped up and disappeared on their own over two bends and a 400 yard stretch. Like I said, I know it was a big tide, but they happen every month and I’ve never lost a trap before.

how in the world can an average human be bad at catching crabs in a trap?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

how in the world can an average human be bad at catching crabs in a trap?