Thread: Corn in a forklift tote...??

Default Corn in a forklift tote...??

20200725_101149.jpg

Serious question, for real.....

Got a couple hundred or so of these forklift totes left from the farm...Got a couple hundred acres of deer corn that has made mighty well this year with all the rains.

So, to maybe solve 2 problems.....

I'm thinking about cutting the tops out of these totes, washing them out, and filling with corn - shelled or cob...That would make use of the totes and eliminate a little bit of bag handling ( I hate palletizing bags )...I could stack these filled totes at least 3 high in the building...I've actually been putting my personal supply of corn up for years in totes and wrapping the tops in shrink wrap so I can fumigate it...Works great for me, but I've got the equipment.

Question is......Do you think enough "Average Joe Deer Hunter" guys would be able to handle a forklift tote to make it worthwhile for me to fill these...?? What's out there...??

If deer hunters thought they were getting a deal you could put it in damn near anything and they’d jump all over after trying to get another 5$ off..........

I think you would have a ton of guys who think its a great idea but very few that actually have the equipment to be able to get it to their property. If you offered some type of delivery service I bet they would be lined up out the door, but don't know if you want to open that can of worms...
    Formerly DM88

Add a slide door like a grain cart where the nozzle is and you’re in business.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

How many pounds of corn does one hold? Personally, I buy corn by the barrel and even if I had the equipment I don't think I would buy corn in one of these. They just take up too much room and seems like compared to a barrel would be harder to work with.

My cousins in NC fill em with peanuts and make bear feeders out of them.
    I will look for some pics I have of the bears eating out of them

I use one of these for shelled corn. I have it on blocks so I can put a 5 gallon bucket under the spout. Never had a moisture issue.
    I agree with other posts on people would prob want to have one but being limited with equipment to unload or move it at there residence would prob be issue.

On another note what kind of price you thinking for tote filled with shelled corn? And where are you located?

I’ll bring a dump trailer for you to fill up.

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop 13 View Post

On another note what kind of price you thinking for tote filled with shelled corn? And where are you located?
    When we start picking, I'm going to fill one up and weigh it...Although I've used some for myself like that, I've never checked the weight...I'll price it out at a good deal because it will save a lot of bagging labor.

I'm in Saluda, row crop farm is in Johnston area.

I'm curious about your fumigation process and would like to talk to you sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by tsigmon View Post
    I'm curious about your fumigation process and would like to talk to you sometime.
    Easy.......Aluminum Phosphide tablets, nothing lives through it...Restricted use though.

I'll shoot you a PM later and we'll get together.

Following this. Did you figure out your price yet. I know some guys that may be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Following this. Did you figure out your price yet. I know some guys that may be interested.
    I have not, got to pick or combine some fresh and weigh it...It WILL be a good deal compared to bagging it....

I WILL have plenty for sale....

I'll post it up when I get it figured out.

My grandfather rigged one up that'll fit in the back of his Polaris Ranger. Fabricated a dump nozzle and a lever system he can operate from the cab. Back up to feeder, pull lever, chute opens and corn dumps. It works well. He can fill close to 15-20 feeders in an afternoon.

Thanks

Waiting to hear price from you as well. TIA