Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Afro...

Default Outdoor Afro...

Anyone familiar with this organization? I had never heard of it until the founder, Rue Mapp, was on Rinella's podcast this past week.

https://www.themeateater.com/listen/...t-conversation

https://outdoorafro.com/

I'm about 2/3 of the way through this PC now but it has generated a lot of questions in my head they have yet to ask and answer so my asking them here may be premature. Regardless I'd still like to get the thoughts of folks here.

What are the barriers of entry for black Americans into hunting?

Are they they same as the ones for all Americans or in your observation are their more obstacles depending on your race?

Are there groups of minorities who want to hunt and fish and cannot or don't feel comfortable because of these barriers? Or is there not as much interest among minorities and honkies alike?

I think the problem for all people who never experienced or are having trouble getting into the outdoors is urbanization.

The urbanization point: As a rural small town man who has lived here my entire life, I have lots of places and opportunities to hunt. The reason is because I have lived here my whole life and developed contacts. If you grow up in an urban environment, you don’t know anyone with land, hunt clubs, etc. You can’t develop those contacts because you are far removed from them. Even for people who grew up in a rural area and moved to an urban setting for work then moved back, you have lost your contacts from the past. People aren’t just going to invite someone to hunt and fish. They have to get to know you first. It takes years for someone to get comfortable enough to allow you to access their property. If someone wants to start getting into the outdoors, you have to move to a rural area and be a good person. Once you prove yourself to others, doors will open.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 07-24-2020 at 08:25 AM.

My earliest hunting memories include black men on the hunt. They were well respected and empowered with the same authority to keep us young bucks in line and safe as any other men there. Hunting was more of a community thing back then. Somewhere along the line it changed to let me get mine and be the emperor of my own little kingdom. The financial implication of that cut the black men out with the quickness...

Durrell Smith does a nice job with pointers and dog training. https://www.instagram.com/thegundognotebook/?hl=en https://projectupland.com/category/p...trial-podcast/ He has addressed some of this recently due to how much its been in the news.

X2 on the urbanization. Most folks are stuck hunting public land (myself included) and the opportunity for a successful hunt require a strange mix of weekday vs weekend, perfect weather, and a location most folks aren't willing to walk to.
    Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Tater
    Y’all don’t know shit about fuck.

I am fortunate enough to be able to afford to lease ground, join clubs and own my own place to hunt. I have hunted since I was six. I don't have any barriers to hunting, except time off from work.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Glenn, I am disappointed. I was hoping to see your new ‘hairs-did’.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ndbrown213 View Post
    I am fortunate enough to be able to afford to lease ground, join clubs and own my own place to hunt. I have hunted since I was six. I don't have any barriers to hunting, except time off from work.
    Thanks for weighing in. I miss your input around here.

Take me huntin'.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    Glenn keeping up with Trey Gowdy?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    If only. My hair left me a long while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    My earliest hunting memories include black men on the hunt. They were well respected and empowered with the same authority to keep us young bucks in line and safe as any other men there. Hunting was more of a community thing back then. Somewhere along the line it changed to let me get mine and be the emperor of my own little kingdom. The financial implication of that cut the black men out with the quickness...
    mine were, Spainard, Rabbit, and Bootie.. I still talk to some of their kids and grandkids.. one of them came out to one of the old ORs at 2ths. He's more into fishing. I know a few, but they grew up with it in their family, kinda like we did. One of my buddies deer hunts a good bit, but rabbit hunting is his main thing.

I'm surrounded with black people whom own land with plenty of deer in their backyard. Nothing holding them back but desire. I think there are plenty of those such scenario throughout the south.
    I watched a young black kids YouTube video of his deer driving club which appears to be all black. Same shit we done when I was in one, just different skin color.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Thanks for weighing in. I miss your input around here.

Take me huntin'.
    You welcome to come anytime.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If only. My hair left me a long while ago.
    I know. That’s why I was interested. Thought you were repping Keeps now.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

I've hunted with lots of black people. I don't remember a single one of them acting as if there were barriers.

Barriers exist but they are colorblind.

Since hunting is largely male dominant I'd say the large scale absence of black fathers in the home is the reason for the decline in black hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Since hunting is largely male dominant I'd say the large scale absence of black fathers in the home is the reason for the decline in black hunters.
    Among other things. The same is happening with all races when the parents are too involved in their “stuff” and don’t take time with their children.

I would agree with sportin. If you don’t grow up hunting with family you usually don’t ever hunt. It’s just not something you really get into if someone doesn’t take you under their wing and take you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Agreed.

Plus, the gold teeth and chains reflect light, which spooks the animals...

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Agreed.

Plus, the gold teeth and chains reflect light, which spooks the animals...
    That and the sights are on top of most hunting guns instead of the sides.

This site always produces