Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deer hunting from the ground

I use this chair with a few mods done to it. I added back packing straps on one side and attached a fleece backpack to the other side that hold several pieces of camo burlap, cord, limb shears and a thermo cell.. Throw in some home made shooting sticks and I'm good for long sits in comfort.
    It folds up flat and is easy to slip around in the woods with.

867.jpg

I'm about to be relegated to ground hunting shortly through a knee replacement. I will set up several ground blinds around the club and go at it. Other than the projected bullet bath, I'm a little concerned about red bugs and ticks.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

you need to freaking go to sleep.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    This works great! Used one in TN 3 years ago with the muzzleloader. I shot 5 deer anywhere from 20 feet to 150 yards. Very solid.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    I believe you are correct sir
    I've got one like that in my wife's ground blind. Solid as a rock. The blind itself is of the pop up variety and a rather cheap model. She's killed deer and hogs out of it. My aging uncle killed his first ever hogs out of it. He's a long distance shooter and he really admired the Caldwell shooting rest.

But my bride has killed even more deer and pigs from just a turkey chair, using a knee or thigh as an elbow rest, blasting animals inside 60 yards.

When we hunted public land, we sat on stumps or leaned against trees in areas away from roads. We parked next to a gate but we always found an entry to a spot away from the road itself. We never had to shoot farther than 50 yards to kill deer or pigs.
    Last edited by w33kender; 07-23-2020 at 10:02 AM.

[QUOTE=scatter shot;2768469]I use this chair with a few mods done to it. I added back packing straps on one side and attached a fleece backpack to the other side that hold several pieces of camo burlap, cord, limb shears and a thermo cell.. Throw in some /QUOTE]

Nice.

I quit using a chair like that, though, because I couldn't turn and shoot animals coming from the "wrong" direction. LOL. I just stand or lean against a tree now when gun hunting from the ground.

Thanks. I hunt WMA and don't use that chair all of the time. Usually only when I'm on a really good spot that I've found while slip hunting.
    When I'm slipping I usually carry a 3 legged dove stool slung over my shoulder with a long cord.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 07-23-2020 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Find a good tree to lean against and use your knee. One of my favorite ways to deer hunt. I’m confident in my safety to take safe shots and have made with both shotgun and rifle sitting on ground. Be sure of your target and what’s beyond it. Not that complicated.

Attachment 57580
    Attachment 57581
    My first Clemson deer was from that exact same cove. Small 8 point crunching through the leaves 2 hours before dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Gobbler lounger is nice with a small set of shooting sticks. Can get pretty solid if you are pointed the right direction and don't have to squirm.
    Yep, I do the same.

But where was your first raccoon from ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Wonder if kids in school these days still pull the whistle prank with with coon dicks?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Wonder if kids in school these days still pull the whistle prank with with coon dicks?
    I know people who have carried them as good luck charms (they were from Ware Shoals) but don’t know about any pranks with them
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I know people who have carried them as good luck charms (they were from Ware Shoals) but don’t know about any pranks with them
    You tell people it’s a whistle and to try see if they can make it blow. Then when they put it up to their lips you laugh out loud and tell them they just put dick in their mouth! Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    My first Clemson deer was from that exact same cove. Small 8 point crunching through the leaves 2 hours before dark.
    Good eyes. It’s a good cove. Easy spot to slip into that gets overlooked.
    Last edited by FULLCHOKE; 07-23-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Yeah ommm....my wife would freak out if I brought her ironing board back home like that.
    I wonder if it makes that squeaky noise when you collapse it?

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    I wonder if it makes that squeaky noise when you collapse it?
    That is a problem but I have them greased down so they don't squeak.

I have more than one. One stays set up on a stand. I didn't steal my wife's board. If you keep your eyes open, they are often pitched to the curb when people move. I passed one up just the other day.

They really do work pretty well for a portable bench. The height is adjustable. The pointy end lets you get behind it. It's ambidextrous. It's pretty durable. I've had one set up in the woods for years.

You tell people it’s a whistle and to try see if they can make it blow. Then when they put it up to their lips you laugh out loud and tell them they just put dick in their mouth! Lol!
    That's a real knee slapper there, Farva.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    The first upstate coon death I was witness to was a cinder block off a 2nd story balcony in Clemson Place lol. Lucky that one didn't have the documentation of the bass shoot or your 4 wheeler jumps

Really Right Stuff tripod with a Picitinny or ARCA adaptor is by far the most stable I’ve shot from, but it’s expensive.
    This tripod is pretty damn good for a fraction of the price. If you’re serious about actually hitting a deers kill zone at 400 you’re going to have to get stable and practice. All you bullshitters claiming you can do it from a lawn chair with shooting sticks, I got a $100 Bill that says you can’t.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087PHXNTN...s_api_i_BwUgFb
    Last edited by FLS; 07-25-2020 at 08:16 AM.

When I hunt from the ground it is because there is no long range shot, usually 50yards at most. Buckshot or 30-30 off hand.