Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer hunting from the ground

Prone position and a good bipod.

86483DF8-7ED5-4215-AEA4-EF16517BF5EB.jpeg
    First deer i ever killed was out of one of these that someone at camp had sat in and broke the back legs. They were about 1/2 normal length. I put a camo poncho over the chair and sat on one ridge of our gasline and shot a 3 point 220 yards away on the other ridge. I was only 7 or so but that was the most comfortable setup and blended in well with the surrounding grass, just crossed my leg and propped up on my knee to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    First deer i ever killed was out of one of these that someone at camp had sat in and broke the back legs. They were about 1/2 normal length. I put a camo poncho over the chair and sat on one ridge of our gasline and shot a 3 point 220 yards away on the other ridge. I was only 7 or so but that was the most comfortable setup and blended in well with the surrounding grass, just crossed my leg and propped up on my knee to shoot.
    Word! That’s how you kill wood goats!

I killed my best deer ever hunting from a folding lawn chair using a walking cane as a rest. At 40 yards, safely shooting downhill into a low place. He was a sure nuff bossman.
    Hunting outside the box

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Me? I get out a lot - that's part f the problem. I do a lot of long distance hiking and a lot of birding...rifles shot from ground level scare me more than anything.
    Yes, you. Congrats on your long distance hiking and birding. I hike for a living and the vast majority of SC is far from flat once you step off a road.

Depends if you are right handed or left handed.. if left handed the driver side of any pick up with an old jacket tucked in the crease is deadly. if right handed the passenger seat of any pick up will do as well. I would bet that this rest has put more whitetail buck deer in the dirt than any other.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Yes, you. Congrats on your long distance hiking and birding. I hike for a living and the vast majority of SC is far from flat once you step off a road.
    My apologies. You're completely right, of course, about everywhere that's not green...

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

You can’t be that dense. Can you?

WTH? Sandhills, Piedmont, Mountains, a bunch of the PeeDee.

South of I-20 in Aiken country......pretty damn flat by your standards....

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    Back before I was ashamed to kill a deer with a gunpowder I killed several dozens crossing dirtroads in a lawn chair with tree step as a brace. Now I like to give them a chance to smell me. But bow hunters are using electronic gadgets so they can forget the wind. Kind of like watching soccer then put ketchup on tenderloin. You are still eating red wild meat but a helluva of way to get there.

Default Deer hunting from the ground

Care to guess where this is?

I’ll give you a hint, start looking well south of Columbia....
    Last edited by Tater; 07-22-2020 at 05:34 PM.

Ground blind and a saw buck right outside the window. Cushion your rifle with mustard packs

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Ground blind and a saw buck right outside the window. Cushion your rifle with mustard packs
    Are you using the mustard packs before or after you snort the mustard out of them?

Build a solid, wood ground blind with Windows and solid shooting rests for the appropriate lane(s), and then put it up on a 4x6 or 5x8 trailer you can haul around with your truck or ATV.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I hunt from the ground with subsonic rounds. Even on flat ground, if I miss, the bullets will hit the ground within 200 yards. The bullets I use are designed to expand at low velocity so the ricochet risk is reduced.

If I'm shooting a regular high powered rifle round, I shoot from elevation or know my background. I make the assumption that nobody is trespassing.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 07-22-2020 at 06:35 PM.

This is what I use for night hunting hogs.

https://www.boghunt.com/pods/tripods...3.html#start=1

Find a good tree to lean against and use your knee. One of my favorite ways to deer hunt. I’m confident in my safety to take safe shots and have made with both shotgun and rifle sitting on ground. Be sure of your target and what’s beyond it. Not that complicated.

EF63B344-C548-478D-A91A-B7D27066F655.jpg
    119E48AA-DA30-4E0C-B9D8-BD763581B38E.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Are you using the mustard packs before or after you snort the mustard out of them?
    Leave em full they cushion the rifle. When you gotta drag a deer out bust em all open and snort/drink the mustard. How the fuck else you gonna get hydrated?

Gobbler lounger is nice with a small set of shooting sticks. Can get pretty solid if you are pointed the right direction and don't have to squirm.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles