Thread: MacBook Air for students

Default MacBook Air for students

Anyone's high school age kids use a mac? My youngest starts high school and wants one.

For a little more $ get the MacBook Pro. It will last through college if taken care of.

I have a MacBook Air that went with me through college and is still with me. It’s been a good computer. I’m replacing it with a Pro soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

My MacBook Pro lasted me through college and just died a few months ago. I think it made it about 7 years.

I bought a mid 2012 MacBook Pro I while back for $400 bucks or so. Spent $200 on a new battery, ram upgrade, and a new ssd hard drive. Mid 2012 was the last year Apple made them where any knuckle head that can work a screw driver can fix them up. It runs like a scalded dog. A little effort and a hour or so of research saved a pile of money. Them MacBooks ain’t cheap

I got a Macbook Pro in the summer of 2010 to take to Clemson. I'm using it to type this response right now if that tells you anything.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

My question is...Is this good for a high school freshman to so school work on.

I know they are great computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathook View Post
    My question is...Is this good for a high school freshman to so school work on.

I know they are great computers.
    In my opinion, there is a bit of a learning curve. That being said once you get the hang of a Mac it’s smooth sailing. I’m not a very technical person and it never hindered my ability to do school work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

You may have to get Microsoft software to go on it to do homework like Xcel, PowerPoint, outlook for emails. Most high schools in Greenville give kids laptops. But I imagine th wines that don’t are not using Apples at the schools. I’m no Apple wiz so these things may be nonissues. But I’d be more concerned about a rising 9th grader being able to use it from a compatibility standpoint.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    In my opinion, there is a bit of a learning curve.
    Yes I explained that to him. I used a Mac years ago for packaging design and graphic design so I can probably remember enough to get him started.

I did just learn the reason he wants a Mac is to start creating music. I can fully support that as music is his passion and he is very talented. Prior to my wife just telling me that, he would only say he wanted a Mac "because".

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    You may have to get Microsoft software to go on it to do homework like Xcel, PowerPoint, outlook for emails. Most high schools in Greenville give kids laptops. But I imagine th wines that don’t are not using Apples at the schools. I’m no Apple wiz so these things may be nonissues. But I’d be more concerned about a rising 9th grader being able to use it from a compatibility standpoint.
    students can download the Office365 for free for Mac's. That is true for any computer though. I have thought about something being non-compliant with something on the school sites.

I know I am late to the party but MBA was made with three things in mind: 1. weight, these are incredibly light, 2. Size, so incredibly thin, 3. Battery
    Life, they are made to go all day, yes all day on the battery. It seems more and more that Apple is allowing the iPad Pro replace them as there has not been a new model in some time.

Unless he is doing video editing, Illustrator, or similar, I think MBA is a better tool than MBP for a student. There is an added benefit of them not getting hot. Good luck, MB
    Dum Spiro Spero

Yeah too late. I let the group convince me to spend an extra $700 and get a pro. Came in Friday and he took it to the grandparents today. Hopefully they get him a mouse, case, etc!