Thread: Tohatsu tach questions

Default Tohatsu tach questions

I have a 2018 Tohatsu MFS50A. I haven't had a tach on it since I got it, and am wanting to add one. I have been told there is a "tach wire" on the main harness, but can't find any schematics online. Anybody done this? Can you use a tiny tach? I have a tiny tach, with the spark plug wrap connection, but it seems this motor needs something different.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    I have a 2018 Tohatsu MFS50A. I haven't had a tach on it since I got it, and am wanting to add one. I have been told there is a "tach wire" on the main harness, but can't find any schematics online. Anybody done this? Can you use a tiny tach? I have a tiny tach, with the spark plug wrap connection, but it seems this motor needs something different.
    I have the new 2020 Tohatsu MFS60 AETS short shaft tiller steer and I installed a tiny tach with the spark plug wire wrap and it seems to register spot on. I wrapped the wire around the spark plug wire 5 times and taped it and grounded the other wire to a bolt head nearby. I set the tach to 1 spark per revolution and at idle it registers 950 rpms on the dot. I can use the idle mode and reduce it all the way down to 650 rpms and it registers it spot on also. I figured as good as it was registering why fool with buying a factory one.

Good to know. I’ll fool with it tomorrow. Buddy has the 30hp model. Think it would also be 1 spark per rev?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    Good to know. I’ll fool with it tomorrow. Buddy has the 30hp model. Think it would also be 1 spark per rev?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It should be just the same 1 spark per revolution