Thread: Burning Browntop Timing

Default Burning Browntop Timing

For those that have had successful hunts burning browntop fields, how far in advance of your anticipated shoot do you burn? Also, do you spray it with roundup a week or two before burning? Thanks.

I’d spray it with Gramoxone in order to torch everything. Then burn sections a week or so before hunts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Close.

IMO, within the week you are going to hunt it. Its kinda like how doves will show up when you are discing or turkeys get into a stand of still smoldering pines. I wouldn't burn on a Friday and shoot Saturday, but i don't think burning on Monday or Tuesday to shoot Saturday is too close. It also depends on if you have birds there prior to burning. Heck if you already have a good number of birds using the field then you burn it, I would think a few days before the hunt would be fine. In my experience burned millet field hunts are zero or hero type deals. If you get the timing right, you could have the best dove hunt you've ever had. Get it wrong and you come home with a sunburn and a couple of birds.
    Formerly DM88