Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Must have gear for western hunts

i lived in MN for two years and survived without sorel boots...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i lived in MN for two years and survived without sorel boots...
    Haha, I agree with you

i bought the black onyx merino base layer before my NM trip two years ago. I got the lightweight one and wore blue jeans over it and a thin shirt with a fleece vest while walking. Threw a puffy goose down old browning liner in my bag. I never got cold and it was around 10 in the morning and 30's in the day. I plan to wear basically the same in Colorado this year. Boots and pack are more important. I bought meindl boots from cabelas and been happy with them. I had a badlands pack and sold it to buy a mystery ranch pintler. Toted it around last oct during bear season and liked it alot better.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    i bought the black onyx merino base layer before my NM trip two years ago. I got the lightweight one and wore blue jeans over it and a thin shirt with a fleece vest while walking. Threw a puffy goose down old browning liner in my bag. I never got cold and it was around 10 in the morning and 30's in the day. I plan to wear basically the same in Colorado this year. Boots and pack are more important. I bought meindl boots from cabelas and been happy with them. I had a badlands pack and sold it to buy a mystery ranch pintler. Toted it around last oct during bear season and liked it alot better.
    Thanks for info, I have a Mystery Ranch metcalf I really like. They make good packs for sure.

Get a pair of Schnee's boots from Bozeman, MT and don't look back. I worked for an elk outfitter outside of West for a few years back in the 90's. All the guides wore them. My boss bought me a pair when I started with him, as I was a poor, broke college student. Packers couldn't afford them, so they wore sorels. I've only needed to wear mine a handful of times since living in SC. https://schnees.com/
    Last edited by hickory; 07-20-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hickory View Post
    Get a pair of Schnee's boots from Bozeman, MT and don't look back. I worked for an elk outfitter outside of West for a few years back in the 90's. All the guides wore them. My boss bought me a pair when I started with him, as I was a poor, broke college student. Packers couldn't afford them, so they wore sorels. I've only needed to wear mine a handful of times since living in SC. https://schnees.com/
    I purchased a pair of Kenetreks a few months ago, so I have the boots covered.

Speaking of that I have a used pair of Zamberlan 960 Guide GTX RR size 10.5 I will put up for sale if anyone has an interest.

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    I purchased a pair of Kenetreks a few months ago, so I have the boots covered.
    i read good things about the kenetreks but couldnt find any anywhere close by to try on first. I did buy a pair of kenetrek gaiters but didnt use them in NM. I may get the chance in CO for second rifle though
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

2th wears sitka and keeps a handkerchief in his back pocket just for style.

You can line mustard packs on the exterior of a jacket to make it water proof

Know which way the wind blowing and you can wear what you want. You’ll get your elk.

I wore Nomad Syncrate pants and pullover for 40 miles over 5 days going through the nastiest scrub oak in western Colorado you can imagine. It held up. No rips or tears.

Wore Salomon boots.

I did have a Sitka backpack that carried my rifle and water bladder, food, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    I have good mountain boots, will probably upgrade the binos and definitely purchase good base layers. Some many fanboys on the Sitka/Kuiu bandwagon. I know it is good and if I lived out there and could hunt regularly I would not have an issue purchasing it. But when your 1500- 2000 miles away and the way points are, hard to plan on more than a yearly trip.
    I’m assuming you’re hunting first rifle. Last year it was in the 60s when we left the trailhead where we parked the truck at about 7000 feet. There was snow up top at 10000 feet. It was nice during the day and cold as hell at night. I didn’t wear long underwear. I had a T shirt, fleece pullover and a Gore Tex shell on top to cut the wind. I started the mornings chilly but warmed up quick cause we were always moving. If you want high tech clothing, look at the hiking and mountaineering stuff. It’s as good as or better than the fanboy hunting brands. You’re paying for branding and camo patterns that don’t matter, cause you wearing a BLAZE ORANGE vest and hat during the gun seasons in CO.

Good rain gear, good boots. Whatever base layers fit your budget.

Get in shape.
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 07-20-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I’m assuming you’re hunting first rifle. Last year it was in the 60s when we left the trailhead where we parked the truck at about 7000 feet. There was snow up top at 10000 feet. It was nice during the day and cold as hell at night. I didn’t wear long underwear. I had a T shirt, fleece pullover and a Gore Tex shell on top to cut the wind. I started the mornings chilly but warmed up quick cause we were always moving. If you want high tech clothing, look at the hiking and mountaineering stuff. It’s as good as or better than the fanboy hunting brands. You’re paying for branding and camo patterns that don’t matter, cause you wearing a BLAZE ORANGE vest and hat during the gun seasons in CO.
    So true. Yes first week of rifle. Going with friend who is a resident and hunts every year. He is a huge sitka fan, but I would have to hunt more out there to spend that kind of money.

The Kuiu Attack pants are worth the money. The first lite thermals are as well. I like the Kenetrek mountain guide boots because of the stiffness in the ankles. I killed a bull in Colorado and it was about 88 degrees. I also killed a muley in montana and it was -14. The Sitka blizzard parka is a definate for me on all late season trips. People can bash all the fanboy gear they want to but good shit is good shit.

It’s all polyester and it’s all made in China. First Light is merino , but it’s still made in China.
    Smart wool sells the same stuff at a fraction of the price. I just don’t see the magic.

The Kuiu catalog that came with this months NAW is a $20 publication. They have a marketing budget.

Agree on all the boot comments and breaking them in. KUIU is the best and most functional hunting system out there. Get layers of it. Pants, jacket, stocking cap, and a base layer. Although you can wear what you buy (Verde color) around here, glad they have a new color that might actually work in SC.

Look at it this way, if you have the proper gear you can hunt hard and get it done. If you don't have the proper Rexcraft hootletoot call, this whole thread is pointless. Bugles are not all equal. Thread closed.