Thread: Another set up question 24’ Crest

Default Another set up question 24’ Crest

A buddy just bought a hammer new 24 or it may be 25’ Crest pontoon with a 300 Merc Verado. He knows nothing. But dealer or factory has this thing set up wrong. He’s only able to turn 4500 rpms. Anyone running one of these or something very similar? Would like to know prop pitch you have. I also think they’ve got the motor mounted waaaay to low. Amount of water kicking up off back of this thing while running looks like you’re pulling a board sideways through the water. Never owned a pontoon, but I see similar sized and powered pontoons hauling ass around the lake on the last third of the tritoons. Thoughts? Tks.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

If it was brand new, I'd be pulling it back to the dealer and telling them to figure it out. Who did he buy it from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

He is. But as you know, he’s still gotta deal with the dealer. He doesn’t even know the terminology or what to say/ask. So he’s totally at dealer mercy. Trying to help him understand that dealer saying growth on pontoons from sitting in water doesn’t have shit to do with the issue. Strickland’s. They’ve said they’d come pick it up. We’ll see.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Ha! 300 Verado on a pontoon. People are funny.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    He is. But as you know, he’s still gotta deal with the dealer. He doesn’t even know the terminology or what to say/ask. So he’s totally at dealer mercy. Trying to help him understand that dealer saying growth on pontoons from sitting in water doesn’t have shit to do with the issue. Strickland’s. They’ve said they’d come pick it up. We’ll see.
    Gotcha, sounds like they saw him coming.....
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Tell him they need to raise the motor and likely put a lower pitch prop on.

Also the thought of someone with a 300 on a lake with no idea how it works is pretty scary.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Also the thought of someone with a 300 on a lake with no idea how it works is pretty scary.
    Yeah but he damn sure ain't alone in that. You been on Murray lately?

Hook the toons and install a Vance kick-n-jack.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Yeah but he damn sure ain't alone in that. You been on Murray lately?
    Yes, many times.

The things I see people do on the water are pretty terrifying.

If it is brand new, the motor might still be in "break-in" mode and it will not allow higher RPMs

Could be. He says dealer told him they broke it in? Who knows. I betting too low in water and prop.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Ha! 300 Verado on a pontoon. People are funny.
    With too much money
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I don’t know if you’ve looked close lately Dr but every other pontoon I pass seems to have a 200-250 and up. Hell some pass me when I’m easing along running 30ish. It’s crazy. Because most can’t drive worth a shit and do NOT know the rules of the road.