Thread: xenophobe

Default xenophobe

E5FB187D-EF2A-4330-8022-CDA588D810FA.jpg

Every year I shop the new bows and toy with new accessories. Im not brand loyal in any way, and try to give my money to the companies that bring the best product to market. This year out of curiosity I wanted to see if you could assemble a 100% American made package without sacrificing anything. That goal was accomplished and I have to say, I’m pretty happy with this ‘un.

Bow: Mathews VXR 31.5
    Sight: HHA
    Rest: Hamskea
    Peep: RAD
    Stabilizer: b-stinger (this was bought before gold tip bought bstinger and moved them to Mexico)
    Shafts: axis
    Inserts and shock collar: iron will
    Vanes: AAE
    Wraps: onestringer
    Broadheads: Iron will wide
    Release: tru ball
    Quiver: tight spot
    Case: plano
    Last edited by wiz18; 07-16-2020 at 03:40 PM.

Awesome set up !

Almost my identical setup other than the sight and bow color. The vxr 31.5 is a sweet shooter.

What about the vxr 28? I am VERY close to liquidating my 2 current setups and buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    What about the vxr 28? I am VERY close to liquidating my 2 current setups and buying one.
    I liked the 31.5 a lot better. I’m 29.5” draw on this bow. The 28 left no room to serve in a peep, felt less stable at draw, and the string angle was brutal. Still dead in the hand at the shot though. It’s all preference, as you well know. Go shoot both head to head. The draw cycle is stiff on the front end, just a heads up. If you’re used to the last few cam offerings from Hoyt that were butter smooth it’ll take a few shots to settle in.

To be fair this is the first sub 33” ata bow I’ve had in 5+ years, so a 31 already felt tiny.

All in I’m pleased with the vxr. I hope the next gen cc cams from Mathews are a little softer on the front end, but that’s being critical. Zebra strings are crap, either be prepared for a ton of peep rotation or go ahead and order a set of customs. My new threads should be in next week.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    I liked the 31.5 a lot better. I’m 29.5” draw on this bow. The 28 left no room to serve in a peep, felt less stable at draw, and the string angle was brutal. Still dead in the hand at the shot though. It’s all preference, as you well know. Go shoot both head to head. The draw cycle is stiff on the front end, just a heads up. If you’re used to the last few cam offerings from Hoyt that were butter smooth it’ll take a few shots to settle in.

To be fair this is the first sub 33” ata bow I’ve had in 5+ years, so a 31 already felt tiny.

All in I’m pleased with the vxr. I hope the next gen cc cams from Mathews are a little softer on the front end, but that’s being critical. Zebra strings are crap, either be prepared for a ton of peep rotation or go ahead and order a set of customs. My new threads should be in next week.
    My only real complaint are the strings. I can't seem to find a spot for my peep. Keeps moving. Other than that. The bow is awesome.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Pretty cool, man. If you don't mind my asking, how much do you have into the total build?

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    My only real complaint are the strings. I can't seem to find a spot for my peep. Keeps moving. Other than that. The bow is awesome.
    Look up Matt carter - phantom custom bowstrings on FB. He is building some of the finest strings I’ve seen in years right now. It’s well worth the money spent to have string problems go away IMO. Just sucks dropping that much coin on a bow that needs new strings immediately.
    Last edited by wiz18; 07-17-2020 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Pretty cool, man. If you don't mind my asking, how much do you have into the total build?
    A little over $2k. Bow is $1k. Rest is $200, sight $350, stab $80, $200 in arrows between shafts and components, release $100.

What's the brace height on that monster? It seems like on every new bow model I see, the brace height gets less and less.

Congrats on going all American too!
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 07-17-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    What's the brace height on that monster? It seems like on every new bow model I see, the brace height gets less and less.

Congrats on going all American too!
    6” brace. I’d prefer 6.5”, but I’ve yet to see any quirks from it being 6. And thanks for the love on American made. I’m sure I add zero to the end game, but if everyone I know that shoots Chinese made broadheads like rage and slick trick would switch to American made products, maybe another worker or 2 would gain a job.