Thread: I built a custom rifle.

Default I built a custom rifle.

About 3 or 4 years ago I started researching the perfect gun I wanted for backpack hunting. I really wanted a custom rifle. I don't just buy guns to buy them. I own a few guns and each of them have a specific purpose. I've actually sold guns because I wasn't using them. All the guns I found that were exactly what I wanted were $6,000-8,000 and that was just for the gun. No bipod, scope, rings ect. I don't make a ton of money. I afford to hunt all over by saving money. I couldn't afford a custom gun without saving for 3 or 4 years. So just like everything else I started doing my research. I came to the conclusion that I could build a gun myself and it would be EXACTLY what I wanted. On top of that I could save myself many thousands of dollars. I absolutely love my other Tikka so thats where I started. Below are the specs.

Bought a new Tikka T3 300WM off Gunbroker - I striped it down. I sold the barrel and stock to recoup some of my build cost.
    Carbon6 Barrel - Custom carbon fiber barrel. 1/8 twist 22". Straight Jacket side baffel brake.
    Mesa Precision Arms Altitude Stock - Custom carbon fiber for a Tikka with my barrel contour. Alpine paint job.
    Bolt fluting by longrifleinc.
    Bolt handle from glades armory.
    The reciever is Cerakoted in tungsten.
    Aluminum bottom metal from Atlasworxs.
    DNZ one piece mounts.
    Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44.

The gun weighs 9lb 6oz. That is fully decked out just like you see it in the pics (mounts, scope, bipod ect). The gun weighs exactly 7lbs bare. I'm really really proud of this gun. I researched for over 3 years. Saved for a year and a half and ordered parts/built the gun over the course of a year. I haven't shot it yet bc my ammo hasn't come it yet, but I have total confidence it is going to be a tack driver.

I realize that a gun like this isn't for everyone. I also realize you don't have to have a gun like this for backpack or any type hunting, but I really wanted a super nice gun. So I decided to build one.

A574B96F-A85F-471D-8EB5-553564F2472D.jpeg
    ADD9BC1D-649E-4C0D-BB70-2BFB577AE1F3.jpeg

That’s sweet! Hope it drives tacks for you.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

That looks sweet. Congrats on a job well done. I assume you went back with a .300WM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Very nice! What caliber and what bullet are you shooting?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Very nice. I have a very similar setup for a do it all backcountry hunt. Let us know what grain/bullet combo you end up shooting!

Nice!!

I’ll be posting my build shortly when I get her completed.

I like it
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Keep us posted on the grouping, really nice job.

Looks great. Nice work. If you dont mind me asking how much do you have in the total setup?

Good looking gun.

Looks nice, been eyeing the Carbon6 barrels myself, got a tikka .243 that is long in the tooth.

Keep us updated on it!

That's a great looking rifle. Crazy similar to the one I just built, will try to post a pic. I also built a lightweight backpacking rifle for out west. The only thing I used a gunsmith for was chambering and fitting the barrel. My build:
    6.5 PRC
    Mesa Precision Arms Summit Titanium action
    Proof Research 24" light sendero barrel, no brake
    Graphite black cerakote
    Manners EH3 Scorched Earth Elite Tac stock, which I bedded with pillars and Marine Tex
    Flavio Fare trigger
    Hawkin bottom metal
    Talley lightweight mounts
    Exact same scope: Leupold VX5-HD 3.5-15x44

I totally agree that you don't need a gun like this but it sure is fun to build one, and it will last forever (that's what I tell my wife), and by the time it's done it's one of a kind.
    Anybody can do it, and since you are buying the components over a 6-12 month period, it's not like you pay for it all at once.

Very nice.

Sporty.

Carbon 6 has been making some great barrels. Have a friend that has several prefits from them and everyone of them is a 1/4 min barrel

Well done.

Looks great

Very nice!!

She gonna be loud...
    Last edited by Drylok; 07-14-2020 at 01:36 PM.