Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rainwater collection systems

haha

I have access to "city" water; however, I still use 100% well water from a shallow well. My brother (water professional) checks it every couple of years to see if it has problems and he is always surprised of the quality. I love the fact that when there are boil advisories or pipe bursts resulting in low or no pressure, I have a seemingly unlimited supply. Of course I am not in the mountains and would certainly like the ability to have a ready supply. Cisterns are readily available, the bigger question would be how to treat water to make it potable later. GLWS, MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I am intrigued at how they are keeping water in a damn grain bin though...
    Flex Seal

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    I have access to "city" water; however, I still use 100% well water from a shallow well. My brother (water professional) checks it every couple of years to see if it has problems and he is always surprised of the quality. I love the fact that when there are boil advisories or pipe bursts resulting in low or no pressure, I have a seemingly unlimited supply. Of course I am not in the mountains and would certainly like the ability to have a ready supply. Cisterns are readily available, the bigger question would be how to treat water to make it potable later. GLWS, MG
    Bleach to disinfect and clean, then a small amount in the water to prevent algae- it's what was used aboard Navy ships before desal units

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Flex Seal

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

two pages and not one single mention of flouride.

I am truly disappointed.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

flouride

it's the reason I put in a well, ain't no soylent green happening up in my house

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

I collect rain in every bucket, lid, upside down frisbee, and tractor seat I own. You need advice on how to do this?
    I've got an inflatable pool in the back yard that does pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    it's the reason I put in a well, ain't no soylent green happening up in my house
    This is where tooth will tell you about natural fluoride and then not be able to tell you why it needs to added it if it's in there anyway.
    Last edited by Glenn; 07-13-2020 at 03:50 PM.

it needs to be added to a certain ppm designated by people who science stuff.

and, apparently, Hitler.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

If you want a potable water backup to prep for "dooms day" then a manufactured package is the only way that I would go, but of course you would also need solar and batteries for dooms day.

If you are looking to irrigate then:

1 - Estimate monthly or quarterly rainfall using historical data: Monthly/Quarterly Rainfall depth x 0.80 x Impervious Area draining tank = Volume Rainwater Stored (monthly/quarterly)
    2 - Select tank size for monthly/quarterly rainfall volume.
    3 - If you are using drip line for irrigation, then your flowrate can be estimated based on the amount of line your using and the psi from the pump. If you are using sprinklers, the energy equation can be used, but there is probably a chart that will estimate the flowrate based on the number of sprinkler heads, pump head, and pipe material & diameter Then just multiple by the time the pump is running to get a volume of irrigation per watering cycle.
    4 - Volume of rainfall stored/irrigation needs per cycle. Then set timers.

Use filters to prevent the tank from filling up with grit and sediment.
    If you bury the tank, consider anti-floatation.
    emergency pump cutoffs
    ' '
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 07-13-2020 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    it needs to be added to a certain ppm designated by people who science stuff.

and, apparently, Hitler.
    Hitler be sneaky.

for f'n sakes, Nazis

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I knew an indian named rainwater. They need to change the name of ...Rain water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    I knew an indian named rainwater. They need to change the name of ...Rain water.
    We will look into it. Currently we are working on Andre Cold Duck...

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    I did too- the Rainwater family lived down the road from me when I was young

We’re any of the Rainwaters named Marvin? If so he was probably always looking for blue birds.

Schedule a concrete pour and set out a bucket.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

JB,
    What I failed to mention is what a very, very large coastal water system uses for its water storage (hint it is not above ground.)

It seems as though most of the coastal systems cannot keep up with summertime demand so they begin pumping and storing water at the first of the year to supplement their above-ground tanks and wells. So where is it stored? Glad you asked. It is pumped into an old underground aquifer that has long since been depleted. That's right they use a big, natural hole in the ground that used to have a natural source of water as their surplus storage. that blew my mind for many reasons; however, think about how perfect it is. First, it is natural, so the best engineer that there ever was built it and it has survived everything over the past millennium, including us. Two, the piping already existed since it was put in place to originally using that source in the first place. Third, and maybe the coolest (pun intended) is that it stays nice and cool underground unlike a water tower would be. Last, it takes up absolutely no surface acreage that is very expensive in this coastal areas, in case you have not heard.

One other consideration that we can all hope never becomes an issue is safety. The bad guys cannot climb the tower to add ___________ to our water supply. I have purposely avoided using the name of the coastal town so as not to reveal any secrets. I am sure they did not invent this practice, but I thought it was too cool not to share. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero