Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't (Completely) Fill Boat's Gas Tank

Default Can't (Completely) Fill Boat's Gas Tank

As the title states, I can usually add only a few gallons to the tank before it appears to be full. However, I know it's nowhere near full. I'm guessing there's some kind of blockage or venting issue, but I'm not sure. What should I be checking? Is this a common issue? And is it something I can fix on my own? Thanks in advance for your input.

There should be a vent, put your hand over the vent hole when fueling and you will feel air coming out. If not it’s blocked and you will have to clean it out.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

I've had that problem with every boat I've ever had. I've always figured some liquid gas splashes up into the vent tube when the boat is moving or being trailered. Once that liquid gas is pushed out of the vent tube I can usually get between 2 and 7 additional gallons in the tank (depending on the boat).

I really think the vent tube pushes liquid gas once the tank is full. The additional gas is just being stored in the hose between the tank and the gas cap. I like leaving the hill with as much gas as possible, though.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

You've got dirt dobbers in your vent
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I have had dirt dobbers clog up a pee hole as well.

Would not be surprised at all to see them in a vent.

What tier boat is it?
    Dirt dobbers love lower tier fuel vents

Airlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    What tier boat is it?
    Dirt dobbers love lower tier fuel vents
    Or spiders....
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 07-13-2020 at 08:57 AM.

try putting the gas in the tank instead of the rod holder.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

What is it and year?

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    What is it and year?
    This would be a great thing to know. Newer boats have non-vented fuel systems and are a pain in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    try putting the gas in the tank instead of the rod holder.
    It'll never get full in the rod holder, unless your bilge pump isn't working.

If it has a carbon canister its easy to bypass. That being said, my old pioneer 197 had a kink in the fill tube that needed fixed once, it was a pain in the ass.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 07-13-2020 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    What is it and year?
    2002 Florida Skiff with a Mercury 90HP ELPTO, same year. Low-end skiff made by the same guys who make Shearwater, Blackwood and a few other high-enders. But mine's like their 7th-tier boat.

Try to take any slack out that might be in the vent line between the fill port and the tank. Just cutting off an inch or two could make a huge difference, this happened to me in my Triton that I had.

I'd be willing to bet that your fill line/hose has deteriorated and is impeding the flow of fuel from the pump. They will basically come apart from the inside and the metal reinforcement will rust and swell which will cause the fuel to back up and shut off the nozzle. The filler hoses from that era are not E-10 rated. Had to replace one doing the exact same thing several years ago....would take 2-3 gallons at a time before it backed up enough to turn off. Picture pouring gas out of a 5 gallon jug into a small funnel. You can pour faster than it can dispense out of the other end of the funnel. I could pour out of a 5 gallon can all day and have no problems since the it could handle the volume of fuel coming out of the can, but yet not of the the volume coming from the pump. Mine was a pain in the nuts because the fuel filler hose was encased in foam running down the gunnel.....wound up pulling the thing out with the forklift at my shop.

If the vent line is blocked, it would "normally" draw your primer bulb down flat and starve the motor of fuel.

Thank y'all for the replies.

It's similar to the one in the picture, so I'm guessing the vent is connected to the gas cap? Is replacing the lines a pretty straight-forward process, or is it extremely labor-intensive, generally speaking? Thanks again.

perko-0540dpgchr-gas-fill-vent.jpg

These are pics I pulled off the innerwebs but looked exactly like what I dealt with on my inshore rig.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Thank y'all for the replies.

It's similar to the one in the picture, so I'm guessing the vent is connected to the gas cap? Is replacing the lines a pretty straight-forward process, or is it extremely labor-intensive, generally speaking? Thanks again.
    My boats have a separate hull fittings for the tank vent. One boat spits gas all over my feet when the tank gets full before the fuel nozzle kickes off. It's like a built-in practical joke. I don't understand how the one you posted vents while the gas cap is on.

Replacing the lines depends on how reachable your tank is. If it's an under-deck permanent tank, usually you can reach some of it through hull deck hatches. My flats boat has extremely little access. Replacing the fuel gauge sender required double jointed elbows, mirrors and lots of cuss words. Recently, the tank started leaking and I had to take it a fiberglass guru to cut the deck and put in a replacement tank. This little gizmo was invaluable:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It also comes in handy checking the bluebird box for eggs and looking for shit that rolled under the refrigerator.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 07-13-2020 at 06:17 PM.

The primer bulb fills when squeezed, so that's a good thing. Does this narrow the list of stuff I need to be checking?