Thread: deer feeder and protein pellets

Default deer feeder and protein pellets

Does anyone use them instead of corn? How well do the deer feed on them and how long did it take for them to do so?
    Any negative issues? Cost -vs- corn?

I’ve used protein feed with gravity feeders with very good success. Never tried it in an electric feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

What brand and type pellets are you using?

I don't use them, but they will start feeding on extruded pellets very fast when mixed with corn as a starter.
    They will eat your wallet dry too and in my area, they will eat it about as fast as you can put it out.
    Either use a trough or gravity feeder though....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I’ve had good success with running 16% commodity blend pellets from Newberry Feed and Farm. Same feed I use for cattle. Run it through gravity feeders but gets costly. Even when buying it by the ton.

Used both at the same time. Protein in gravity and corn in spinners. Of course year round is the way to do it but it is expensive. Antler growth, post rut and spring Are the times that are crucial for both sexes.

Once deer find it, keep an eye on it. With a healthy herd they can hammer 300 lbs in a week. We find that it’s better to stretch it out and only give them so much a week.

Does anyone know the current prices?

By the bag and also by bulk?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

We’re running 4 of the 1200# boss buck feeders with antler xtreme feed at my place. We run 100% pellets April-September then 50/50 corn pellet the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    What brand and type pellets are you using?
    Orangeburg Milling Company...is what I was using. The property I manage now does not feed protein. I may try a couple feeders this coming spring to see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.