Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need A Bow

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    I’ve got a Mathews switchback ready to hunt with case and all you can get for $350. It’s in new condition. PM me if interested and I will shoot you some details.
    Buy this man's bow!

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    Heavy FOC isn’t a trend. Its been part of traditional archery for years. It’s just now catching on more in the compound world.
    Some of us were FOC before it even had a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Some of us were FOC before it even had a name.

About 7-8 years ago I done my own little "study" with different weight arrows. I used brass inserts and plastic arrow weight tubes. I don't have the exact numbers anymore, but it was interesting to see what weights got the best penetration vs whenever the arrow got too heavy and actually penetrated less.

I’ve got a Mathews switchback ready to hunt with case and all you can get for $350. It’s in new condition. PM me if interested and I will shoot you some details.
    What is the draw length?

I bought this same bow for my first bow. I got it tuned with new cam and I enjoy it a lot. I’d take it

I'd see Bud at the Archery Shop in Summerville. He is a legit guy. He will help you and won't sell you anything you don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by acebasinman View Post
    I'd see Bud at the Archery Shop in Summerville. He is a legit guy. He will help you and won't sell you anything you don't need.
    Don't know Bud, but as suggested, I think it is a good idea to find a local shop to shoot different options. You could call ahead of time and give them your draw length and budget so they could have some ready as well.
    Last edited by Ghetto; 07-13-2020 at 10:49 AM.

You can come out to the farm and try my bows. The draw length might be a bit long. I think one is about 28" but if you are going on what a chart says, it might fit. One is a Switchback XT and the other is a Drenaline, I think. You could try one hunting to help you figure out what you like and don't like. Give me a shout the day before you think you will be nearby and I'll throw them in the truck. I'm there most weekends and occasionally during the week. PM me if you don't still have my number.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    You can come out to the farm and try my bows. The draw length might be a bit long. I think one is about 28" but if you are going on what a chart says, it might fit. One is a Switchback XT and the other is a Drenaline, I think. You could try one hunting to help you figure out what you like and don't like. Give me a shout the day before you think you will be nearby and I'll throw them in the truck. I'm there most weekends and occasionally during the week. PM me if you don't still have my number.
    Whenever you ready to sell that switchback xt back to me let me know

Sent you a PM

I worked for bud for 6.5 years. Daily we would help guys who had never shot a bow before and get them into something they were happy with. Take PB up on his offer and shoot those two. Outback, Switchback XT, and Drenalin are my all time favorites from Mathews.

And the Z7 platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not going to preach here, but know this...if you don’t get a bow that fits you, you’ve wasted money. If you buy a bow with junk strings and cables, your peep will rotate, and you’ll limit your accuracy. If you get a set up with a crappy sight, you will most assuredly have a state record standing broadside at 20 yards and won’t be able to see your pins....and I could go on and on...which backs up the earlier post referencing cocaine. If you buy a bow from any of the quality companies from the last 12-15 years, you will have a great bow. Just keep your mind open about going in and getting it set up right with a quality sight, and good string and cables. You don’t have to spend 1000+, but if you spend 300 on something that doesn’t fit you and dosent have quality components, you will be pissing away 300 and wounding a bunch of deer.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Here's another thought. It sounds like you have a place where you are limited to bowhunting and want to hunt...but don't want to deal with the fairly expensive and complex bunch of this and that that comes with modern bowhunting. If you want to keep it simple and fairly inexpensive and bulletproof while getting the most enjoyment and excitement out of the experience, pick yourself up a decent re-curve (a new Jeffery-Archery hunter will run you ~ 500 last time I checked and you can get some really incredible bows for less than that used). You won't have to fret over draw length, peep twist, sights, releases, stabilizers, arrow rests, etc. All you have to do beyond buying the bow is choose the right arrow with the right spine for the tip weight you want to shoot, buy a dozen, and start walking through the woods with some judo-points flinging arrows at stumps, pine cones, squirrels, rabbits etc. You'll be surprised how quickly you can hit what you are shooting at out to 20-25 yards, and the first time you have a puny doe walking in...well, its the best drug on the planet.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

If you had good sense, you’d buy this bow quicker than a cat can lick its ass and then you’d own likely the best hunting bow ever built. Figure out your draw length and then buy the correct cam off archery talk. You can typical get them from $20-$40. With the 7” brace height, it’s extremely forgiving for beginners. Won’t win any races, but will kill deer dead.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    If you had good sense, you’d buy this bow quicker than a cat can lick its ass and then you’d own likely the best hunting bow ever built. Figure out your draw length and then buy the correct cam off archery talk. You can typical get them from $20-$40. With the 7” brace height, it’s extremely forgiving for beginners. Won’t win any races, but will kill deer dead.
    Sent him a couple PMs, never heard back.

I have a Bear Motive 6 I'd sell set up ready to hunt. I've just never fallen in love with bow hunting.

Bowfin, what is your draw length and budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    Bowfin, what is your draw length and budget?
    I’m 5’9”, I did the online calculator thing and it looks like I should be 27” or so. I’d like to keep it under $500 for something completely set up and ready to hunt.

You can probably find numerous used bows on archerytalk that would fit what you need that are complete packages. Good chance they already have good aftermarket strings on them too. It ain't rocket science and as long as you buy one that is in your draw length range, it can be adjusted to fit you.