Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need A Bow

Default Need A Bow

I’m not a bow hunter and have never had any interest in it. But I’m going to be hunting somewhere now that I’ll need one. I need something decent and ideally ready to hunt. I’m not really interested in going somewhere and trying out a bunch and trying to find something perfect. I also don’t want to go to an archery website and wade through a bunch of used bows I know nothing about. I think I’d like a whisker biscuit and would probably prefer sights with three or less pins. According to the online calculator, my draw length is around 27” or so. Not too concerned about high speed and don’t need one that takes a winch to pull back. I’m pretty strong but my shoulders ain’t what they used to be. Also not looking to spend a mint. I’ll pay for quality but don’t want to drop $1000 on something that I’ll only use a few times a year.

Anyone have anything that meets the criteria?

You can get a mission bow set up and ready to go for well under $1000, I might have $600 in mine. They’re made by Matthews and carry the same warranty. I’m on my second one and been pleased with both. Started out with the the craze and eventually upgraded to a newer model after a few years to one that was a little bigger and more suited to someone my size
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Trading post has a few good ones at great prices

Where are you located? Several great shops.

Lowcountry- The Archery Shop in Summerville.
    Midlands- Jeffreys
    Florence- Irby st
    Upstate- No one worth a shit lives there

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    You can get a mission bow set up and ready to go for well under $1000, I might have $600 in mine. They’re made by Matthews and carry the same warranty. I’m on my second one and been pleased with both. Started out with the the craze and eventually upgraded to a newer model after a few years to one that was a little bigger and more suited to someone my size
    Where’d you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Where are you located? Several great shops.

Lowcountry- The Archery Shop in Summerville.
    Midlands- Jeffreys
    Florence- Irby st
    Upstate- No one worth a shit lives there
    Lowcountry. Is the Archery Shop off 78 in Jedburg? Do they sell used setups?

Quote Originally Posted by BowfinClassic View Post
    Where’d you get it?
    Hunters Headquarters in Greenwood

Go now if you’re serious about it, they get very busy the closer it gets to season.
    I used the sight and stabilizer off my original bow so that did keep the cost down on my 2nd one, but you should still be well under $1k for a complete set-up
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Tried to send you a PM but your full.

This is what you’re looking for. Ready to hunt.

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...hells-clothing

Let me know if you have any questions. Text is seven - oh - four 661-8685

John

Find somewhere other than Jeffrey's. That place is back to the pooper. It's a shame.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by BowfinClassic View Post
    Lowcountry. Is the Archery Shop off 78 in Jedburg? Do they sell used setups?
    Yes sir Bud does.

Be fully prepared - Bow hunting is more expensive than cocaine and twice as addictive.

Buy good arrows when you land on a setup. I’m an Easton man because they are American made, but black Eagle makes a .003 straight product that is damn good for the money - check out the carnivore. Gold tip has went to shit since they moved to Mexico IMO, others may disagree, but they are wrong.

I’m 95% sure That PSE short mag listed has rotating mods, so you can easily set to to your draw length.

Archery talk is a very good outlet if you want to learn new stuff. Beware much like here sometimes you have to read through the bullshit. Read enough post and you will know the ones who know what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    I’m 95% sure That PSE short mag listed has rotating mods, so you can easily set to to your draw length.
    It does. Will go 25-30” draw

I’d recommend keeping an open mind towards selecting your bow and setup. Especially if you are in the beginning stages. Saying that, I would recommend changing your mindset of not shooting a bunch of different bows. Shoot as many as possible to find a bow that fits you. Forget the brand loyalist folks. I’ve shot Mathews, PSE, Hoyt, and now Prime and enjoyed them all.

Listen to your pro shop guy or someone you trust and don’t cut corners.

I’d recommend a bow with mods on the cam where you can easily adjust your draw length. Also let off adjustment is real nice.

There is a trend for arrows with heavy weight up front, which makes sense to me, but don’t go too overboard there to start with.

I would ask the shop you buy from for an hour or so of coaching lessons. That can go a long way.

Archery is a deep dark hole of endless possibilities, and options, and can get pretty addictive, and frustrating at times. All in all shooting can be pretty therapeutic in my opinion and is a good way to pass the time and focus on the task at hand.
    Last edited by Ghetto; 07-12-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    I’d recommend keeping an open mind towards selecting your bow and setup. Especially if you are in the beginning stages. Saying that, I would recommend changing your mindset of not shooting a bunch of different bows. Shoot as many as possible to find a bow that fits you. Forget the brand loyalist folks. I’ve shot Mathews, PSE, Hoyt, and now Prime and enjoyed them all.

Listen to your pro shop guy or someone you trust and don’t cut corners.

I’d recommend a bow with mods on the cam where you can easily adjust your draw length. Also let off adjustment is real nice.

There is a trend for arrows with heavy weight up front, which makes sense to me, but don’t go too overboard there to start with.

I would ask the shop you buy from for an hour or so of coaching lessons. That can go a long way.

Archery is a deep dark hole of endless possibilities, and options, and can get pretty addictive, and frustrating at times. All in all shooting can be pretty therapeutic in my opinion and is a good way to pass the time and focus on the task at hand.
    Heavy FOC isn’t a trend. Its been part of traditional archery for years. It’s just now catching on more in the compound world.

I’ve got a Mathews switchback ready to hunt with case and all you can get for $350. It’s in new condition. PM me if interested and I will shoot you some details.

I agree, Strutt. It is trending up right now with the general public, with the Ranch Fairy getting hyped up, and the Hunting Public guys giving it a go.

I shoot 26.5” Victory VAP TKOs with a 95 grain stainless insert/outsert up front so I am a believer as well.
    Last edited by Ghetto; 07-12-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    I’ve got a Mathews switchback ready to hunt with case and all you can get for $350. It’s in new condition. PM me if interested and I will shoot you some details.
    This is a good deal. I have a Mathews 60 lb S2 and a Z7 Extreme......and I wouldn't sell either one for that.

You have found your bow.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    had same approach as op a few years ago and this is what i picked up from someone here....no complaints