Thread: Reduced recoil load or???????

Default Reduced recoil load or???????

Long story short, one of my favorite people to hunt with is having some medical issues and I’m on the fence as to what to do to help him continue hunting. I have a 243 that’s fantastic recoil wise but it’s got a brake on it and a short barrel and I worry about the muzzle blast as even with ear protection it’s offensive and might aggravate his head. I’m sure a suppressor would be the ticket but the timeframe to acquire one is an issue at this point, I want this man hunting as soon as the weather allows. So do I load some reduced recoil 308? Anyone have a recipe they like? Also considering another 243 with a longer barrel, got a great load from Saltydog and I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a grande buck with it.

I got the 700 with a 26” barrel still. It’s heavy though.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got the 700 with a 26” barrel still. It’s heavy though.
    That’s the issue, I would absolutely love a reason to buy that thing.

I had a little 308 I set up for my son when he was little. It would stack the Hornady Reduce recoil Load at 200 yards. Zero recoil

9A06CC5A-C557-4380-9D8D-D48CD5640B52.jpgMy 6yr old shoots the Hornady reduced recoil in a 7-08 savage. Accuracy is plenty good for his abilities.
    Last edited by SCWOODROW; 07-12-2020 at 07:07 PM.

if he isn't shooting past 100yds or so get him a cva 44 mag single shot. A 44 mag rifle hammers deer and very quiet and low recoil. I have a ruger 77/44 and its one of my go to deer rifles.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I have a savage 30-06 that I shoot the Hornady custom lite reduced recoil in and love it. It’s more accurate than I am and will drop a deer no problem. I’ve had shoulder surgery and it doesn’t bother me at all

Hodgdon H4895 and 125gr nosler BT. This powder can be loaded to 60% of max load. Look it up on their website and if you need a few bullets to load let me know and I will send you some.

.308 125grn nosler BT is great in reduced loads. Designed to open at reduced velocities. It is very popular in the 300savage

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by pccutter View Post
    Hodgdon H4895 and 125gr nosler BT. This powder can be loaded to 60% of max load. Look it up on their website and if you need a few bullets to load let me know and I will send you some.
    Just what I’m looking for, thanks!

H4895 with a 125 Sierra or Nosler or 110 Vmax. I’ve shot all those out of a 308 bolt and gas gun with good results.
    I’ve also used Benchmark and H322 with those bullets. Fast powders and light bullets equal light recoil. Benchmark is the most accurate light bullet 308 powder I’ve used. 125 Sierra over Benchmark is a light recoiling laser out of my Model 7. Lots of kids have killed their first deer with that rifle and load.
    Last edited by FLS; 07-13-2020 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    I have a savage 30-06 that I shoot the Hornady custom lite reduced recoil in and love it. It’s more accurate than I am and will drop a deer no problem. I’ve had shoulder surgery and it doesn’t bother me at all

Its actually because your soft. Dog.

I’ve got some IMR 4895 and see the data for that powder in the nosler book. I’m not seeing the h4895 data.

Go to Hogdon Data it will have both.

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    Its actually because your soft. Dog.

Listen here, dog, you're just mad that I don't buy ammo from you but you have to keep it in stock for me to buy it

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    9A06CC5A-C557-4380-9D8D-D48CD5640B52.jpgMy 6yr old shoots the Hornady reduced recoil in a 7-08 savage. Accuracy is plenty good for his abilities.
    Very strong shooting for a 6 year old! Dont think a lot of grown men can shoot that good prob including myself.
    every expert was once a beginner