Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada 2020

Default Canada 2020

HUNTING
    Canada’s Border is Closed to American Hunters Due to COVID-19 (and It Could Cost Many Outfitters Their Livelihood)
    The border is expected to stay closed until July 21, but it could be longer

Joe Genzel
    By Joe Genzel
    July 10, 2020

American hunters on horseback through the Yukon
    There likely won’t be any trips in the Yukon like this one for American hunters in 2020.Sloane Brown/YETI

For many of us here in the U.S., an annual hunting or fishing trip to Canada is a longstanding tradition. And Canadians, particularly those in the more remote western provinces, depend on American tourism dollars to bolster local economies. But the U.S.-Canada border has been closed since March and will remain so until at least July 21. There is also a 14-day quarantine rule in place that will stay in effect until Aug. 31. That means anyone who does come into the country must self-isolate for two weeks. In most cases, Canadian citizens are also not permitted to drive or fly from province-to-province without quarantine.

A recent poll showed 81 percent of Canadians don’t want the border to open to Americans, mainly due to the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19 surges in the U.S. That’s bad news for outfitters in Canada. Of course, the safety of both countries takes precedence over the financial hit the hunting and fishing industry will endure. But an unfortunate outcome of the pandemic is that some guiding businesses won’t make it through.

It’s a bitter pill to swallow, but when the U.S. is seeing spikes in positive COVID-19 tests (though deaths have tapered), it’s difficult for Canada to open its border and safely allow Americans into the country, though it is possible once the U.S. makes it through this second surge. Iceland has broken through as a shining example, hosting international travelers since June by using a rigorous testing program, saving its tourism industry from financial peril. There have been pleas made by Canadian Travel and Tourism, which generates $74 billion and employs 1.8 million people, to allow healthy Americans into Canada, as U.S. citizens make up two-thirds of international tourists in Canada. But so far Prime Minster Justin Trudeau hasn’t budged.

There is no public plan or procedure in place for opening the border, only a projected date that keeps getting moved back, which has been a serious frustration for outfitters. It has left them in limbo, unsure if their outfits will continue to tread water with pre-COIVID profits, or ultimately drown. Alberta’s Professional Outfitters Society reported guides in the province have lost $68 million in revenue since the pandemic began in March. Two thousand people are also jobless due to the lack of clients.

To find out how outfitters across Canada are coping with the border closure, I talked to four Canadian guides. We wanted to know how they are navigating these strange and difficult times, and if they expect their businesses to survive the pandemic.

More at-

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/hu...e-to-covid-19/

I know my buddy is damn glad he sold out last year. As for the guy that bought him out probably not so good
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    I know my buddy is damn glad he sold out last year. As for the guy that bought him out probably not so good
    What’s the status of your trip? We are on wait mode
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Watch and wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe we will get to see some birds in the states this year. They normally get thinned out pretty good before crossing the boarder!

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    What’s the status of your trip? We are on wait mode
    Not going this year but will for sure next year but it won’t be with Hubbard. Y’all have tickets already? I know as of right now there are none available
    Last edited by Duckman#1; 07-12-2020 at 07:17 PM.
    80-20 Genaration

Been going for 26 years. This may be the year it doesn't happen. I'm starting to worry about fall in Montana and Wyoming as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Not going this year but will for sure next year but it won’t be with Hubbard. Y’all have tickets already? I know as of right now there are none available
    We do not. I'm skeptical
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

You can go anywhere you want after 11/03/2020---BUT be prepared
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Still planning on it but if it doesn’t happen it doesn’t happen.

Going to be a nice crowd in North Dakota this year.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Hope picking flights the first week of November to go up there pays off

I have flights booked for an elk hunt in September.

I'm assuming I'm going to get a flight credit at this point and put it towards 2021 plans.

Delta canceled our flights into Saskatoon last night

Did they say why

why ask why
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

It would seem to me that the 14 day quarantine could be modified with testing on arrival. The 14 days came about when there weren't tests available. Now that testing can be done, why wait the full 14 days?

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    why ask why

this will be the first year in over 30 years that no one from our group will be making the trip.

gonna miss the taste of those molsons while watching ducks cyclone into a slough at dusk...
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Did they say why
    No sir. Just canceled. It happened several times during turkey season as well. Cancel with no explanation or potential solution other than credits.