Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for CO fishing guide

As a side question, say I do catch the bug for fly fishing.. do you use the same rod/reel for the river trout as you would for inshore marshes? Keeping size of fish constant of course.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    As a side question, say I do catch the bug for fly fishing.. do you use the same rod/reel for the river trout as you would for inshore marshes? Keeping size of fish constant of course.
    Probably not. Its cool to catch a spottail on a 5 or 6 weight, but bad for the fish when the water is as hot as it is right now. However, small spotted seatrout on a 5 weight can be a hell of a lot of fun when they are schooled up.
    DILLIGAF

Fly fishing differs from casting with conventional fishing rods in that with conventional, the weight of the lure or bait carries the line. With fly casting, the line carries the lure. You can cast a fly line with no lure or fly attached.

Fly rod sizes are based on the size line they handle and are called "weights". They range from 2 wt. to around 12 or 14, which is the size you'd use for sailfish or tarpon. The line matches the rod's weight. Sometimes it is helpful to use a different weight line than what a rod is rated for, called "overlining" or "underlining", but that's for specific circumstances and beyond beginner stuff.

For bream, I use a 4 wt. For spottails, I use an 8 wt. The rods are not sized according to the size of the fish you want to catch but rather the size of the fly you will be slinging. A 4 wt. line isn't heavy enough to carry a big fluffy bass fly or heavy weighted clouser fly. Similarly, an 8 wt. is a bit heavy to try to throw a dry fly the size of a city mosquito.

Palmetto makes good points. Especially on scaling the line weight to the fly and not the fish(in most cases). Bream fishing on fly is a blast and a great place for anyone to start.

I would not buy a rod specific for this trip and just use the guides equipment unless you plan to continue to freshwater fish around here with it. Fly gear can get pricey.

An 8 weight is a good place to start for inshore fishing here.

You don't need a high dollar rod and reel to bream fish. Neither do you need one for fishing for tailing fish. Until you get to serious sight fishing that requires long casts into the wind like bonefishing, you don't need a rocket launcher rod and stupid expensive reel. Some of the starter kits by Redington or Cabelas are economy priced and quite functional enough until you decide if you like it and get to the point that you are limited by your equipment. Temple Forks Outfitters makes some of the best rods for the price of any I own.

Ok good to know. I’m not going to buy anything now, just curious about it. I started looking at gear online and your right, this stuff gets very pricey! I hope I don’t enjoy it haha.

Very hard to beat a TFO 3wt rod loaded with 4wt shooting taper and a cheap but decent reel for bream and small bass.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

TFO runs a more moderate action even on their “fast action rods” which makes them easier and more forgiving than others. Kicker being they tend to fall apart when overlining or using heavy front tapers.

Y’all and your fancy lingo.
    Well I am booked for next month. Headed out near Breckenridge. We will see how this goes! I appreciate the help, I’m sure it will be fun at the least. The guide is trying to get on some private access so that will be a little nicer than stumbling around in front of everyone else. I have no clue what equipment we are using but I’ll be sure to take it all in.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    Y’all and your fancy lingo.
    Well I am booked for next month. Headed out near Breckenridge. We will see how this goes! I appreciate the help, I’m sure it will be fun at the least. The guide is trying to get on some private access so that will be a little nicer than stumbling around in front of everyone else. I have no clue what equipment we are using but I’ll be sure to take it all in.
    go and have fun

i dont worry about all that stuff they are talking about. I have a something weight that I bream fish with and another something-else weight that I have taken to the coast. both have whatever weight line on them and sometimes it takes me a while to get the feel of it. after some time, i can cast shit where i want to
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.