Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for CO fishing guide

Default Looking for CO fishing guide

I have a small trip to Denver planned next month and want to take me and buddy out on a half day out. I won’t be able to bring any poles so I would need a good recommendation for a guide with gear. I have never used a fly rod so unless they are willing to teach me I need to stick to non-fly. I’m open to other fishing besides trout, not sure what’s big to fish for out there in August.
    Any recommendations welcome.

Call the Orvis shop nearest your destination. They can put you with someone trustworthy that can cater to whatever you need...

I've never fished with him in Colorado, but there's a high end drift boat company down the road from my house. One of the owners (Les Vance) of the company splits his time between North Carolina and Colorado, he guides all spring and summer for Duranglers. I had them do some work on my drift boat a few months ago, good guys that put out an amazing product when it comes to boats. I've heard good things about him as a guide, and he definitely has pictures to back it up.

If I ever get really serious about fly fishing, I'm probably going to buy one of their boats. They make my Hyde drift boat look like garbage. https://highcountryboats.com

Normally I'd tell you to hit up my buddy Jamie Roth with Anglers Covey in Colorado Springs, south of Denver. We were stationed in Germany together and deployed to Kosovo together.

Jamie got out and began guiding and caught some damn pigs on the reg.

Jamie 2.jpg

Inexplicably, Jamie, like several other of my veteran buddies, took his life on April 9th of 2017.

And I hate to dick up your thread, 'cause I know you didn't ask for it, but it made me think of him and reminded me to always check on your buddies no matter how good it looks like they got it.

My apologies and carry on.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I've never fished with him in Colorado, but there's a high end drift boat company down the road from my house. One of the owners (Les Vance) of the company splits his time between North Carolina and Colorado, he guides all spring and summer for Duranglers. I had them do some work on my drift boat a few months ago, good guys that put out an amazing product when it comes to boats. I've heard good things about him as a guide, and he definitely has pictures to back it up.

If I ever get really serious about fly fishing, I'm probably going to buy one of their boats. They make my Hyde drift boat look like garbage. https://highcountryboats.com
    I second this guy. I fished the Holston in NC with Les' Partner Matt, who told me about Les. Fished with him two years ago out west. a) they build the best Drift Boat I have ever been in b) both of them are as patient as the day is long. Great guys, great fishermen.

https://troutsflyfishing.com/

PalmettoDuck & I used these guys last year. They provided everything (Made it super easy), we fished a couple of different rivers. Had a fantastic time, caught a bunch of fish, would book them again for certain.

Take a day and float the green....

I'm going to guess that your opportunities will be very limited for non-fly fishing. A lot of the streams are likely to be fly only. You've got time before your trip to learn enough to get by. Check with your local tackle shop for any classes or seminars. Around here in Charleston, the shops are always having classes for different styles of fishing. I wouldn't wait and try to learn to handle a fly rod during the charter. You could always pick up an inexpensive little 4 weight rig, do a little internet research and start wearing out the bream for practice.

thanks everyone. I have noticed now that I have looked more, that most rivers are fly rivers and every guide is a fly guide. I thought about trying to get into fly fishing and learn before going, but I am not sure that I would really every pick up again to justify taking the time to learn for one trip. And I don't want to get out there wasting my time fumbling around. I have thought about floating a boat but I'd really like to do some wading.

Most of the guides out there are used to working with new fly anglers. Often they will get anglers that have not picked up a rod before.

I would talk with a guide before you fully write it off.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Most of the guides out there are used to working with new fly anglers. Often they will get anglers that have not picked up a rod before.

I would talk with a guide before you fully write it off.

Yea I will do that. I just don't want them to say something because its what I want to hear. I want to know if they are actually a good teacher and can help me have a good time. I don't expect to catch monsters every cast, I just don't want some guy pissed off cause he got someone from the beach fumbling around ruining his time.
    Last edited by duckz; 07-13-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    thanks everyone. I have noticed now that I have looked more, that most rivers are fly rivers and every guide is a fly guide. I thought about trying to get into fly fishing and learn before going, but I am not sure that I would really every pick up again to justify taking the time to learn for one trip. And I don't want to get out there wasting my time fumbling around. I have thought about floating a boat but I'd really like to do some wading.
    I took my wife on a guided fly trip in Tennessee a couple of years ago, she had maybe touched a fly rod one other time in her life. She caught around 5.

It's really not that difficult of a learning curve out of a boat.
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 07-13-2020 at 10:05 AM.

If you're around the MtPleasant area I'll be happy to teach you what little I know about casting a fly rod.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Once you catch a few bream, you'll probably be hooked on it. It's an elegant and artful way to fish. There's a reason why there are so many fly fishing poets.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Learn to fly fish. You will love it. Not only is it fun but at times can be considerably more productive than spinning gear......especially for bream. One of the toughest things For a traditional bass fisherman to learn is that you don’t cast with a fly rod like you do with a spinning or bait casting rod. Everything for basic casting is 10 o’clock to 2 o’clock. It is the line that does most of the work, not the rod. Resist the temptation to cast and point the rod horizontally like you do with other gear. I fish with a 5wt rod a good bit on Murray. Lots of fun.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Yeah, don't let that slow you down. A good guide can have you catching fish on a fly in no time. It really isn't all that much more technical that cane pole fishing once you look past the bullshit...

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateAngler View Post
    https://troutsflyfishing.com/

PalmettoDuck & I used these guys last year. They provided everything (Made it super easy), we fished a couple of different rivers. Had a fantastic time, caught a bunch of fish, would book them again for certain.

Well I may have to give this a go. That website looks very nice, which rivers did you fish? I was looking at the Private rivers, they say they stock them. Which I am not apposed to since this is my first time out, it may be better to ensure I have more fish to catch and learn with. We are staying with friends so I wonder if you can keep anything from the Private access or not, i'd like to take a few back to cook up that night.
    The more I look, the more I may do the fly thing.

Skrimp, I appreciate that offer. I may end up hitting you up. I am in MB, but could always make a trip down with the boat and do a little combo inshore and fly day with ya if your up for it.

hmmm.. $100 rod fee to fish their private access if you don't want to fish public. and no matter what option you choose, you cannot keep fish, even on public water.

I am not saying no yet, but any other recommendations ?? I would like one or two to take home.

if you want to take a fish home, you're not gonna fit in the fly fishing culture at all.

and who wants to freeze a fish from Colorado, ship it home, and eat it? its a trout. it tastes like, well, trout.

Now, I wasnt gonna comment earlier but now that you have my attention, if you have any eye-hand coordination, you should be able to pick up a flyrod and make it work. Its not that difficult and once you get the feel for it, you should be able to present a fly well enough to get a bite. ie, dont let the "fly fishing only" part keep you from experiencing it.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    if you want to take a fish home, you're not gonna fit in the fly fishing culture at all.

and who wants to freeze a fish from Colorado, ship it home, and eat it? its a trout. it tastes like, well, trout.

Now, I wasnt gonna comment earlier but now that you have my attention, if you have any eye-hand coordination, you should be able to pick up a flyrod and make it work. Its not that difficult and once you get the feel for it, you should be able to present a fly well enough to get a bite. ie, dont let the "fly fishing only" part keep you from experiencing it.

No not at all, I didn't mean to take home as in bring back to SC. I am staying with family so I am not freezing or shipping anything, Just want to have a fresh fish that night after fishing. It isn't a deal breaker, just more of a hopeful wish.

I am convinced that I am going to do the fly route. We had plans to do other stuff while out there but it seems like a lot has been canceled due to everything going on. So this is a good excuse for me to take up a new addiction! ha