Thread: Fit for the mountains

Default Fit for the mountains

Heading to Wyoming in October and have been training for last few months. Heavy pack hiking and jogging mainly with some stair mill thrown in. For those that have been, how did you prepare for the altitude and steepness of the terrain? Lots of info on the 'net, but not much from guys who are used to 80' above sea level
    Last edited by bbhntr48; 07-11-2020 at 05:16 PM.

I can’t speak to it personally as I’m sure my butt will be worn out when I finally get out there. I workout with a guy that plays football for the broncos. He uses an altitude mask. Not sure if you want to take it to that extreme but they are out there.

Something like this

https://www.trainingmask.com/trainin...ning-mask-2-0/

Oxygen deprivation masks. Wear one 24/7. (Month prior to going). Guide out there told me his secret to endurance on a strenuous hunt. Camelbacks. Get 2. Wear one front ways and the other back ways. Fill them both completely with mustard.
    Good luck and take lots of pictures.

Stair master - get to where you can run up it

Unfortunately nothing can prepare you for altitude. Try to arrive several days before the hunt. How high are you going?

I'm heading out in 3 weeks to scout a little bit. Do a ton of Squats. It usually takes me 2 days to get acclimated. I spent 29 days between Colorado and montana last year and was running up hills by the time I left.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Unfortunately nothing can prepare you for altitude. Try to arrive several days before the hunt. How high are you going?
    Starting at 5600 with tallest peak reaching 9600ish. Depending on weather hopefully staying lower on the mountain

Quote Originally Posted by teal74 View Post
    I'm heading out in 3 weeks to scout a little bit. Do a ton of Squats. It usually takes me 2 days to get acclimated. I spent 29 days between Colorado and montana last year and was running up hills by the time I left.
    Good info thanks, I will add more squats and box steps with pack on for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Oxygen deprivation masks. Wear one 24/7. (Month prior to going). Guide out there told me his secret to endurance on a strenuous hunt. Camelbacks. Get 2. Wear one front ways and the other back ways. Fill them both completely with mustard.
    Good luck and take lots of pictures.
    He left out his real secret. Make sure to have a little pouch mounted to your front mustardback to hold your superboost powder. Take a bump every mile, for Rocky level stamina.
    Last edited by wskinner; 07-11-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    Starting at 5600 with tallest peak reaching 9600ish. Depending on weather hopefully staying lower on the mountain
    That's not terribly high. Time to acclimate is your only fix. Lots of squats.

Try walking/running with a weighted backpack in a really sandy area if available. That unstable surface will help condition your legs to use many of the stabilizing muscles you won't activate on a flat, firm surface.

Ride a mule.

Hiking with some weight on your back 2-3 times a week does more for me than anything. Your not going that high, so altitude sickness shouldn’t be an issue. It’s dry so take chapstick and more water than you think you will need.

That's not that high, just get in shape. Drink a ton of water the week before you head west.

I’m headed to New Mexico in October myself. From my research, the only way to combat altitude sicknesses is to stay hydrated.

Im letting my beer belly offset the weight of my pack.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Take a couple trips to the mountains in NC or upstate SC. Altitude isn’t the same, but you can get a good workout in.

I just walked in the house from a solo trip last night. I had about 30lbs on my back give or take, 4 miles in, 4 miles out. I’m ready for a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    Go hunt, that altitude level is of zero concern.

N95 mask while running
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung