Thread: Stocking a pond, crappie ???

Default Stocking a pond, crappie ???

Looking at re stocking a pond at Son in Law/Daughters farm. 1-2 acre pond

Has bass in it but not sure what else, been neglected for few years

Going to add some grass carp but was also wondering about adding crappie

I have heard some say to never put crappie in a pond but others say they do well

Kind of new at this and would love to have a place to go catch crappie when in the mood for some

You better have a lot of bait
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Don't do it in a small pond especially not knowing the stocking condition of the bass and panfish.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

We added some to our 2 acre pond probably 25 years ago. It had some crappie in it prior to doing this but not many. It did have an excellent base of bream and bass prior to putting them in there. Best I remember it was only 100-200 we put in there. We noticed an increase in crappie over the next few years but never anything that got out of hand. We may have got lucky based on what I've read/seen over the years since then. I've got a friend that did the same thing and the crappie took over. His pond is around 8 acres.

Thanks

I have fished it once for a short time and caught few decent bass, one around 4lbs.

Next question, is there a better time to stock than others or does it really matter.

Saw couple companies in SC that you can buy fish from or have them deliver

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    You better have a lot of bait

I do see a lot of small minnows swimming around in shallows so I assume plenty of bait

My pond biologist said it takes a big pond to keep crappie in balance. I don't have them in any of my ponds. My biggest is around 12 acres.

Be careful with the carp too. I put ten in a five acre pond and they have pretty completely denuded it of weeds. Not sure how many survived but I know at least six did and they are probably ten or twelve pounds now. When it gets cooler, I may try to catch a couple and move them to another pond. The biologist prefers to deal with weed with fertilizer and herbicides because he says carp is an all or none proposition.

Just because you have millions of little minnows doesn't mean your bass are going to be well fed. Bigger bass need bigger prey. They can't afford to spend all day eating tiny minnows. The effort put into catching them burns too many calories to make it worth while. A health pond has a good balance of different size prey fish.

Stocking is better in cooler weather because of the stress on the fish during transportation. On a brand new pond, I stocked bream in November and then added the bass in March.

Georgia Giant Bream.

I removed grass carp from my 4 1/2 acre pond. 5 years in with fertilizing in spring and haven’t missed them. I caught 25lber chasing a streamer, they eat more than veg. Imagine a vacuum cleaner on beds in a 2 acre pond.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    I removed grass carp from my 4 1/2 acre pond. 5 years in with fertilizing in spring and haven’t missed them. I caught 25lber chasing a streamer, they eat more than veg. Imagine a vacuum cleaner on beds in a 2 acre pond.
    This pond has a lot of lily pads, will they help with that

SIL said years ago it had grass carp in it and apparently they died and that is when lily pads seem to start taking off

While y'all are helping I assume need to make sure there are catfish in this pond as well

Honestly like to get a decent fishing pond for my 5 1/2 yr old grandson as well as the 6 week old one as well

I know it will take time but just looking on where to start

I did buy a bag of the aquacide pellets and tried on a small area a couple weeks back Have not had time to go back and see if that is working , planning on doing that on way home today
    Last edited by tprice; 07-11-2020 at 10:23 AM.

No clue on Lilly pads and carp. I wouldn’t assume catfish are good, direct competition for bass. You are welcome to bring him and fish my pond.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    No clue on Lilly pads and carp. I wouldn’t assume catfish are good, direct competition for bass. You are welcome to bring him and fish my pond.
    Thanks man appreciate it , this 5 yr old LOVES to fish .

Going to take him few times, have a john boat over there we use, and let him catch some bass

Guess if I fish it a little I will get an idea on what is in there

I keep the small fish we catch and throw them in the neighborhood pond. It’s full of bass bream and crappie and has been that way for years. All three seem to be pretty well balanced but I don’t pay much attention to it besides fishing it on random afternoons.

In my limited experience Carp do not help with lily pads.

Speaking of ponds, I need somewhere to take my girls near Travelers Rest/Upstate. We typically don't keep any unless we are told to. My youngest has been after me to find a place to take them since we moved back.

Sorry to hijack TPrice.