Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wasps

Always nice to hit a while nest bush hogging. But I tolerate wasp and yellow jackets stings better than fire ants bites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Always nice to hit a while nest bush hogging. But I tolerate wasp and yellow jackets stings better than fire ants bites.

Not exactly sure what their proper name is, but we grew up calling them cicada killers....ran over some with the tractor 15-20 years ago. I heard them come up over the sound of the little diesel. Wound up giving them the tractor, but got lit up about a dozen times before I bailed out of the seat.

Cicada Killers weren’t what they were. We have those at our lake house. They burrow out of the dirt this time of year, fly around and find cicadas and go back in their hole. I’ve killed a pile of them and never once ever felt threatened with a sting

A yellow jacket sting takes me days to get over. Got lit up using a push mower a few years ago on the 4th oh July. Wearing shorts and a tee shirt. I ran about a 4.1 forty across my back yard. Fastest I’ve run in years. Still got hit about 10 times. Hurt like crazy.
    Last edited by UPSTATEWATERFOWLER; 07-10-2020 at 08:40 PM.

No joke if you're stung rub your mustard pack on the bite. Then run.

We’ve got a hunt club work day tomorrow, Definitely not the thread I want to be reading the night before
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Fuck you better take a whole bottle of french's

I got one of the worst whippings of my life that I remember because of some wasps. Me and my two brothers were in my aunts barn, had a huge wasp nest on the inside of the old metal roof near the front, I had a hand full of green muscadines and my older brothers were both at the back. I threw a few of those muscadines up there and smacked it dead center. I was out the door without a scratch, they lite my brothers up. Think they both got stung 10-15 times. My dad wore me out with his belt, looking back now might have been worth it for all the times they locked me in the laundry closet of the the mill house We grew up in. The good old days-LOL.
    Last edited by Otter 1200; 07-10-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Fuck you better take a whole bottle of french's
    I laughed

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    My grandma would taken some Copenhagen out of her lip and packed it on. A can used to last granny 5 dips. Bigger than most men chew. Then granny would have kicked me in the rear and told me to get back to work
    Yep.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Damn you got some fugly hands.
    Pray yours look like that one day Brother
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    Poking wasp nests was a sport for me when I was younger. A lot better than guessing the color of the next car to come down the road like me and my sister used to do when we were young kids. Of course, getting stung was part of the game. They don't hold a candle to bald faced hornets though as far as aggression, or at least they don't have the range. Unknowingly hit a nest hanging in a plumb bush with my tractor and I was still getting hit 40 yards away after I jumped off.
    This thread jinxed me. I was bush hogging today. It became dark so I cut the light on because I only liked about a 1/2 acre to finish. Got the tractor stuck and felt “leaves” from the bushes falling on me. Except I noticed it wasn’t leaves. It was the big yellow and orange European Hornets. I cut the tractor of and leaped off into the dark. Forgot to turn the lights off so had to go back and do that. So I called the wife to drive my old Jeep down with the KC lights so I could see to get to the tractor and cut the lights off. The dang things swarmed the Jeep and she freaked out and left. What I’ve been reading is that those type of Hornets typically don’t build nests exposed, they are generally in hollow trees. I don’t know if any trees within 30 yards or so of where I’m at. Anyone have any experience with the things? Trying to come up with a game plan on how to get the tractor tomorrow but want to know where these things are nesting so I can kill the majority of them first to reduce my risk of pain and suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Those things love to make nests inside zipped up bimini tops.
    We had a nest in some old clothes in the attic. Ask me how I found out... I think my life passed before my eyes... I cane down the steps passing the Boxer, she decided really fast I had a great idea... she only got one on the nub.... I had 4 on the hand.
    Benadryl and Moonshine...

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    A salt gun is risky for wasps. The electric fly swatter (Executioner Pro) kills them dead instantly.

I've got a connex box that has a shielded hasp to prevent crackheads from using bolt cutters on the lock. Wasps find it irresistible. It sucks to reach up into a metal box and grab a whole nest.

My preferred method for wasps is a can of starter fluid and a propane torch.
    I sat down beside the wife last summer, we were on the boat dock bench seat, and as I wrapped my fingers around the back of the seat I landed in a nest about the size of a hockey puck.
    Straight to Dollar Gentral for a couple of cans of wasp spray, the next on the list was my torch set. Thank God the spray worked, she would have been pissed when I burned down the boat dock.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I went to cut my battery charger on the boat and a whole family attacked. Got bit at least 9 times. I fell on the driveway trying to get away. I didn't have a shirt on. Scraped up and bleeding all over besides the swelling.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Holy cow, how do you feel today?

I got popped a few years ago blindly reaching into a battery compartment of an old case tractor when I was changing a dead battery. For a split second I thought I got popped by a rattle snake on the hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Wife and I rented a chalet in Pigeon Forge for our anniversary one year. It was after the fires and our chalet was the only one around as the others burned down on that side of the mountain. Being one with nature we were observing the surroundings in the nude while out on the deck. That's when I felt lighting strike me directly in the head of the dick. A quick glance right before I smacked the head I caught glimpse of a yellow jacket. I'm not sure if he bit or stung but she hurt. Not allergic to them so no wanted swelling, just stinging pain.
    Low country redneck who moved north

This is one of my favorite things.

383C31F8-5801-47F9-8577-D07AB7CB5B77.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by ducksmoker View Post
    This thread jinxed me. I was bush hogging today. It became dark so I cut the light on because I only liked about a 1/2 acre to finish. Got the tractor stuck and felt “leaves” from the bushes falling on me. Except I noticed it wasn’t leaves. It was the big yellow and orange European Hornets. I cut the tractor of and leaped off into the dark. Forgot to turn the lights off so had to go back and do that. So I called the wife to drive my old Jeep down with the KC lights so I could see to get to the tractor and cut the lights off. The dang things swarmed the Jeep and she freaked out and left. What I’ve been reading is that those type of Hornets typically don’t build nests exposed, they are generally in hollow trees. I don’t know if any trees within 30 yards or so of where I’m at. Anyone have any experience with the things? Trying to come up with a game plan on how to get the tractor tomorrow but want to know where these things are nesting so I can kill the majority of them first to reduce my risk of pain and suffering.
    I had a hollow tree in my back yard that got full of those things. I discovered it as I was under a truck one night welding, and the crazy things would fly straight into the arc and burn up. I had one buzz around and get under my welding hood with me. My buddy said it sounded like somebody was playing drums under the truck, but that was my head bouncing off the frame as I was trying to get out of dodge. About a week later, I was cutting grass and went by the tree they were in and apparently the sound of the mower set them off. I got tagged on the elbow by one and another one tried to get my wrist but got my watch band. I told my buddy about it, and after he questioned my manhood proclaimed that he'd come"take care of it." He walked up near the tree and one of the hornets came out. He whacked it with his hat and turned around and gave me the thumbs-up and attempted to say "I got this," but between "got" and "this" his eyes got as big as hubcaps and he hit his knees. One got him on the back of the neck, and another one got him on the back of his ear. After we healed up, we got a case of beer, some lawn chairs, and some bb guns, and as the hornets would stick their heads out of the hole in the tree we'd shoot (at) them. We actually hit a few, but it became more drinking beer than hornet hunting. A few nights later, I was awakened to my dogs going crazy, and when I went to investigate, I saw a coon's tail hanging out of the hole in the tree where the hornet nest was. He cleaned the entire nest out in one night, and I cut the tree down so they wouldn't come back.
    Last edited by Pcole; 07-11-2020 at 06:44 AM.

Unless the bug-a-Salt has tripled their muzzle velocity, a salt gun is the worst Idea ever for wasps!
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!