Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: School district decisions.....

I don't care either way, just playing devil's advocate here...

For those that support going back to school like normal, what's the proposed contingency plan if/when covid creeps in and starts running thru the school, teachers and students?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 07-11-2020 at 09:20 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Same as when there has been an outbreak of something in a school in the past. I’d think you could revert to online/remote easier if you are already running a full time curriculum.

Feet,
    I wasn’t criticizing you on emails, more a friendly cautioning and beyond that it’s none of my business. There’s plenty I don’t agree with too but some battles are better fought elsewhere than the internet.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post

For those that support going back to school like normal, what's the proposed contingency plan if/when covid creeps in and starts running thru the school, teachers and students?

You sick you stay home. Simple and easy
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

We have a Board workshop scheduled this Tuesday for Anderson 5 Right now plans, as they have been all summer, to return 8/18 with a virtual option for students/parents that want it However they can not flip flop from virtual to in class attendance

Naturally a lot of it is based on this metric that is out with the cases

If I am correct all districts were to come up with 3 different scenarios depending on how the conditions are

I have a 26 yr old daughter that is a elementary teacher so she unloads on my all the time LOL, I understand the concerns but keep this in mind, IF kids do not go back good chance paychecks may start being as a result from what I am told (furloughs ) Everyone is 10't and bullet proof as long as they are getting paid , however most of us are back to work to make sure we get paid

I will be glad to share details when we get them all handed to us , I am seeing plans all over the place

The ones I feel for are those w daycare aged children, this will pose a problem if schools are not in every day

Busing is the main or biggest concern at this point so I can see multiple routes run by bus drivers If I am correct majority of elementary kids get to school in cars in am but ride buses home in pm

We have staggered start times so bus can run two routes. My daughter will go to school from 9:30 to 4:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have enough data to make educated decisions. Data shows the population of students in high school and below are virtually unaffected. The same population of students also do not spread the virus. Other countries opened schools and no great spike was seen...... Teachers and staff members are Americans and have the right to make an educated choice and either go back to work or find another job. Those that are high risk should take same precautions they would during any normal flu season. It's a virus and a virus will do what a virus does and spread........ Not a dang thing we can do about that.....
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

From the responses in this thread looks like I'm in the minority that would prefer to err on the side of caution. From all my days involved with and managing safety programs in the military we are trained to make calculated risk decisions. But under no circumstances are we to accept any unnecessary risk. And in my eyes sending my kids back to school while new cases are still surging is an unnecessary risk.

We have the immense blessing of having both the means and the willingness to keep our kids on track in their education while teaching them at home. I'm not saying they'll never step foot in a school again, and I completely understand the value and importance of social interaction and classroom learning. I'm just saying not right now. Not until shit calms down.

SC set yet another new record that of new covid cases and oh yeah, a 5yo died from it. https://www.wltx.com/article/news/he...e-b9104f012da4

My son is about to be 7 and daughter is going on 9. I'm just not willing to put them risk of 'potentially' exposing them.

And to Chuck, my response to the seemingly simple concept of "if you're sick stay home": we all know parents knowingly send their kids to school sick. A friend of the family got exposed and their whole family is covid positive cause another parent made a dumb call. There was a super small birthday gathering at a neighborhood pool in a Columbia suburb. Like 3 kids and a parent per kid. Kid 1 had a hi temp, mom gave him Tylenol, his temp went down and just sent him right on the birthday party like nothing was wrong. Threw all caution to the wind. 3 days later kid 1 tested positive, and subsequently everyone that attended the party as well, some as long as 10 days later before symptoms were prevalent. The family close to ours, the husband is a doctor. Had to close his practice and quarantine for 2+ weeks. All cause that one mom figured her son was fine.

My point is, parents make dumb decisions and by the time a kid shows symptoms it's too late. Everyone they've been around had already been exposed. So in my opinion, your "simple" plan is flawed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 07-11-2020 at 01:15 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Other countries opened schools and no great spike was seen... Not a dang thing we can do about that...
    Wrong and wrong.

While some countries have opened schools back with little surge in covid spread, South Korea didn't fare so well. They ended up closing the vast majority of em down yet again.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52845015

And yes, there is something I can do: keep my kids at home.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wrong and wrong.

While some countries have opened schools back with little surge in covid spread, South Korea didn't fare so well. They ended up closing the vast majority of em down yet again.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52845015

And yes, there is something I can do: keep my kids at home.

That is your choice!!!! I'm glad you made that choice and no one else is making that choice for you!!
    Last edited by darealdeal; 07-11-2020 at 01:38 PM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

As far as I know preschools are business as usual and pretty much have been the whole time. Doesn’t make much sense to me either way.

This might be the sign the nation needs- all responsible people revert back to the 1950 lifestyle- The Cleavers, and Andy had it right. We need more Mayberry- not what we have now.

Open them up. If there are teachers that don’t want to work then they can move on.

So not arguing points you’ve made but it does seem you care one way more than the other

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

You right. My comment was misleading. I do care.

What I really meant was, y'all do what y'all want. For that I don't care. I'ma do me. Y'all do y'all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I care too. Don’t think otherwise

In October 1918, 200,000 or 2% of the total population died from the Spanish flu. Schools didn’t close down and Carolina and Clemson played football that November. Things have changed a lot when it comes to our risk tolerance.

We don't have a decision yet. My hope is they will go back full time, but I doubt that happens. If there happens to be a spike in corona cases once the kids are in school, I would hope it would be handled just as a spike of the flu or anything else. Schools go through this EVERY year on some level. This is not something new except for the name of the virus and the MSM pushing their agenda.

We are considering homeschooling altogether. We may not be opposed to a hybrid system...I think we would at least try it. But if the kids have to go back to school and are separated by glass or have to wear mask, those are deal breakers and homeschool it will be.

My kiddos are still in elementary school.
    Last edited by reeltight; 07-11-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    So not arguing points you’ve made but it does seem you care one way more than the other
    I was thinking the same thing....

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    We have a Board workshop scheduled this Tuesday for Anderson 5 Right now plans, as they have been all summer, to return 8/18 with a virtual option for students/parents that want it However they can not flip flop from virtual to in class attendance

Naturally a lot of it is based on this metric that is out with the cases

If I am correct all districts were to come up with 3 different scenarios depending on how the conditions are

I have a 26 yr old daughter that is a elementary teacher so she unloads on my all the time LOL, I understand the concerns but keep this in mind, IF kids do not go back good chance paychecks may start being as a result from what I am told (furloughs ) Everyone is 10't and bullet proof as long as they are getting paid , however most of us are back to work to make sure we get paid

I will be glad to share details when we get them all handed to us , I am seeing plans all over the place

The ones I feel for are those w daycare aged children, this will pose a problem if schools are not in every day

Busing is the main or biggest concern at this point so I can see multiple routes run by bus drivers If I am correct majority of elementary kids get to school in cars in am but ride buses home in pm
    Furloughs? Are folks being excused from paying taxes?