Thread: Radio required

Default Radio required

I can’t find anything online. When are you required to have a radio on boat your boat in salt water? Is it so many miles out? I fish mainly inshore and jetties. I always have cell reception in my small bay boat.

No requirement just smart to have one along with other safety stuff

Almost like saying you are required to have a paddle in a boat.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

NO but YES if you can afford one.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Im gonna just stick with the cell phone. It’s not like I know anyone on the radio anyways. I just don’t want a dumb ass ticket!

Buy this. Great backup unit too. $50 rebate also.

Coworker just ordered one and we set up the mmsi info and played with the very basic GPS function the other day. Very nice for the price.

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Standard...ack-P5683.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Im gonna just stick with the cell phone. It’s not like I know anyone on the radio anyways. I just don’t want a dumb ass ticket!
    Get a nice used ICOM handheld VHF off ebay, channel 16 is the Coast Guard and other boats monitor it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    You may need to know you can MAYDAY on channel 16 and have USCG plus any other boaters and or rescue workers in the area come look for you in an emergency.... just a thought.

I know you said you will mostly be inshore coastal but it is a small investment towards overall safety gear. Get a waterproof floatable handheld if nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d get one just for safety sake. Radios don’t die...cell phones do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

SC Ducks should not be your go to source for USCG requirements

Radios not required- but if you have one by rule it's supposed to be on and monitoring 16 unless using on another channel- flares are required once outside the inlet

If you are fishing coastal waters, it's a good idea to have especially if close to an inlet on outgoing tide....

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Radios not required- but if you have one by rule it's supposed to be on and monitoring 16 unless using on another channel- flares are required once outside the inlet
    Flares are required in coastal waters not "outside the inlet"