Thread: University/College/HS Athletics Circling the Drain, are the Institutions Next?

Default University/College/HS Athletics Circling the Drain, are the Institutions Next?

The Ivy League has canceled all of their fall sports, The Big 10 is about to announce a 5-6 game conference only fall season and AD Ray Tanner now says that 15,000 is a max target for football fans at Willy B this fall with "good social distancing" practices this summer. There are simply too many economic strings attached to cancel the season now. There is a great line in The Godfather when Don Corleone says, "Why don't you tell me, what everyone else already seems to know..." I think that is where we are right now for large crowd gatherings for the remainder of 2020. The only good news is that athletics for the VAST majority of universities is revenue negative, so canceling the season or an entire program is positive for the bottom line.

As many of you know, I work at an institute of higher education and I can safely say that most everything will look very different this fall and that a tremendous amount of energy is being spent by very talented people to design spaces and contingencies to accommodate having students being on campus in real lectures with real professors. I have seen and reviewed those plans and can tell you that as amazing as those plans are, it will take some luck to pull it off. Having said that, I have not seen anything that will allow for large gatherings. Selfishly, my son is an incoming freshman this fall and many, many of the touchstones of the matriculation process have already been lost forever for his class.

As an institution, I am very proud and thankful that we have zero debt on any of our academic facilities and are in the best shape possible to weather this storm. Unfortunately, we really stand alone among the public and I can only assume private colleges and universities around the state and country. If something does not change soon, it will be more than athletics that are closed during this crisis. If you care about your alma mater or higher education in general, consider giving to the SCHOLARSHIP fund because students will be suffering the most. PM me if you have no preference and I will help match your gifts with a like-minded institution with no apologies for the bias of my own. MG

(PS I came here from a two-year school in SC and yes they have a tremendous role to play and not everyone should or needs to go to a four-year school. I also know that you can be successful without a college degree or certificate, hell Bill Gates and Steve Jobs both were dropouts. Also, I have seen Travis Pastrana jump out of an airplane without a parachute but I would not recommend it. Nothing is a better predictor of financial mobility than a formal education.)
    Dum Spiro Spero

I don’t see the need to do anything different this fall for class education other than temp checks, require face masks, and hand sanitizing entering and exiting the classroom. No need to limit class sizes, crazy construction, etc. The hell with athletics. That’s not what schools are for anyway.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 07-09-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    If you care about your alma mater
    The more woke they get, the less we will care. I have heard of millions coming off the board in potential giving in the last month alone. Large donor families done. Forever. Never thought that I would see it. Could see it.

It may be all for the best. The serious liberal indoctrination starts right there. It is past time to quit being lulled by college sports and do something meaningful with our children's education and futures...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    It is past time to quit being lulled by college sports and do something meaningful with our children's education and futures...
    giphy.gif

Military schools are about the last bastion of tolerance remaining, ironic isn't it. Respect for authority, they truly are the last foothold.

One of the fundamental parts of education is acquiring critical thinking, that is literally being taught right out of higher education now. The burden will now be on the parents...
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 07-09-2020 at 06:35 PM.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    Military schools are about the last bastion of tolerance remaining, ironic isn't it. Respect for authority, they truly are the last foothold.

One of the fundamental parts of education is acquiring critical thinking, that is literally being taught right out of higher education now. The burden will now be on the parents...
    You serious Clark? Have you seen some of the woke bs coming out of the AF academy over the last 10 years?
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Can yal quit saying woke. I'm not sure I know what it means

That's not very woke of you.

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    Can yal quit saying woke. I'm not sure I know what it means

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...?term=wokeness

woke: The act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue

wokeness: Self-righteousness masquerading as enlightenment.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

The more woke they get, the less we will care. I have heard of millions coming off the board in potential giving in the last month alone. Large donor families done. Forever. Never thought that I would see it. Could see it.

It may be all for the best. The serious liberal indoctrination starts right there. It is past time to quit being lulled by college sports and do something meaningful with our children's education and futures...
    This right here! Colleges have become liberal indoctrination camps. Let them "readjust".

Fortunately, we never relied on sports to leverage giving. Nor do we have families that routinely give us millions, or even close. We are still averaging over 45% first-generation college students in our incoming freshman each year. Our student body reflects the diversity of our state and 98% of our underclass is from SC. So while we do not benefit from out of state tuition, we do enjoy knowing that we are giving SC taxpayers a great return on investment. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Can we just go ahead and nuke China... Maybe everyone will get woke!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Fortunately, we never relied on sports to leverage giving. Nor do we have families that routinely give us millions, or even close. We are still averaging over 45% first-generation college students in our incoming freshman each year. Our student body reflects the diversity of our state and 98% of our underclass is from SC. So while we do not benefit from out of state tuition, we do enjoy knowing that we are giving SC taxpayers a great return on investment. MG
    And does your campus promote free speech?

Yes make sure we indoctrinate another class of radicals
    Bluetick

I worked with a recently graduated Citadel graduate. He was the woke, liberal, activist loudmouth in our little team. One day he was pontificating about how the military is the biggest chunk of the US budget and that we should cut our military spending drastically. He showed me charts from the internet. I let it soak a day or two and then told him he might be getting misled a bit. I explained the difference between the discretionary budget and the total budget. The discretionary budget is the one Congress argues about but never gets around to passing. It's comprised of the budget increases and new allocations of money. The total budget includes already committed fund and the added shit from the discretionary budget. Then I showed him charts of the total budget. Social programs are by far the biggest chunk. He admitted that he learned something and quit arguing with me after that.

I was talking to a Washington and Lee alumni yesterday and he said if they pass the name change most alumni would be cutting the funds off. I don't see how universities think it's going to end well for them in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    And does your campus promote free speech?
    As a public university, our campus has the same policies that any public space would have. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I worked with a recently graduated Citadel graduate. He was the woke, liberal, activist loudmouth in our little team. One day he was pontificating about how the military is the biggest chunk of the US budget and that we should cut our military spending drastically. He showed me charts from the internet. I let it soak a day or two and then told him he might be getting misled a bit. I explained the difference between the discretionary budget and the total budget. The discretionary budget is the one Congress argues about but never gets around to passing. It's comprised of the budget increases and new allocations of money. The total budget includes already committed fund and the added shit from the discretionary budget. Then I showed him charts of the total budget. Social programs are by far the biggest chunk. He admitted that he learned something and quit arguing with me after that.
    They don’t like fighting grown ups.....mentally or physically.