Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2020 CFB season

With the start of sports for public schools in South Carolina in question because of the coronavirus, the state’s independent high schools remain on track to begin their seasons.

South Carolina Independent Schools Association athletic director Mike Fanning sent an email to its member schools that they still plan to begin the first official fall sports practice date set for July 30.

“We are still moving in that direction and still hoping for football to begin on Week 0 with slight modifications in place,” Fanning told The State on Thursday. “We are progressively moving forward.”

Fanning said he has been happy with the way schools and coaches have approached workouts and the safety measures in place, and how they stressed the importance to the athletes about staying safe away from the playing fields.

SCISA schools began Phase 1 of summer workouts June 1 although several schools chose not to begin until June 8 or later. They are currently in Phase 2 of workouts with Phase 2.5 set to begin July 16.

During Phase 2.5, groups can be expanded to 15 players per pod and will allow for 7-on-7 intrasquad for football. Basketball and volleyball teams can also do intrasquad scrimmaging.

Fanning said he has been happy with the way schools and coaches have approached workouts and the safety measures in place, and how they stressed the importance to the athletes about staying safe away from the playing fields.

SCISA schools began Phase 1 of summer workouts June 1 although several schools chose not to begin until June 8 or later. They are currently in Phase 2 of workouts with Phase 2.5 set to begin July 16.

During Phase 2.5, groups can be expanded to 15 players per pod and will allow for 7-on-7 intrasquad for football. Basketball and volleyball teams can also do intrasquad scrimmaging.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/high...#storylink=cpy

this will be an interesting situation to follow.
    I dont do social media but my wife says there is a lot of push-back from some teachers to even OPEN school in the fall.

I dont see much of a choice. Start with the basic premise that schools will open and figure it out from there....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Yea a lot of teachers realized sitting around the pool for 6 mos. and getting a paycheck is a lot cooler than herding rats for 180 days for the same pay... Who woulda thunk it?
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

I ordered all of my "optional" deer tags...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

So the yankee transplants on the coast gonna call the shots!!!

SC high school sports season unlikely to start on time after coastal district decision

One coastal school district is pushing back the start of summer workouts to August, a move that all but assures that South Carolina’s fall high school sports season won’t start on time.

Beaufort County School District announced Monday that workouts won’t begin until at least Aug. 10. The district originally hoped to start workouts July 20.

The first official date of public school practices around the state is July 31 with the first football games scheduled for Aug. 20. Most coaches and athletic directors around the state believe starting on time is unlikely at this point.

“We are supposed to play Wilson on Aug. 21 and I don’t think that happens,” Hilton Head High coach BJ Payne said. “We have to have time to get the kids ready. I haven’t seen my team since March. But we don’t even know if school will be open yet either. We have to figure that out. We have to do whatever it takes to protect the health and safety of students and faculty.”

South Carolina public schools got the go-ahead to begin summer workouts June 8. But since then, many districts have stopped or delayed the start of those activities because of the increase in new COVID-19 cases. Gray Collegiate and Kershaw County schools are the only Midlands public schools still conducting workouts.

Districts such as Beaufort, Richland 1 and Richland 2 haven’t even started those summer workouts. Richland 1 and 2 haven’t said when a potential start date would be. Lexington 1 stopped its sports workouts but announced they will resume Wednesday.

Coaches have said they need four to six weeks of workouts and practices to prepare for a season. Important practices for heat acclimation typically take place in August.

The South Carolina High School League will hold an executive committee meeting at 8 a.m. Wednesday to discuss possible scenarios or plans for the upcoming sports year. The league sent out a survey to principals, superintendents and athletic directors throughout the state last week to get input about the 2020-21 athletic calendar.

It’s possible the committee could vote on proposals Wednesday or give the SCHSL the authority to choose the best option for the upcoming season.

“We will try to come up with multiple proposals that will give us flexibility in case we have to make changes,” SCHSL commissioner Jerome Singleton told The State last week.

Only a few states have announced their official plans to begin fall sports. New Mexico announced it was going to move football to the spring.

“If the High School League comes back Wednesday and says we will play a region-only schedule and start practicing after Labor Day, everyone would be on the same page,” Payne said.

The S.C. Football Coaches Association board of directors met a few weeks ago to discuss possible alternatives for the fall season should there be a disruption because of the spike in coronavirus cases around the state.

The group’s four suggested options include playing a normal season as scheduled; starting later with fewer games played; moving some low-risk sports from spring to the fall and high-risk sports from the fall to the spring; and holding off on all sports entirely until January, if necessary. Payne said he would be in favor of a spring sports season for football.

The S.C. High School Soccer Coaches Association met last week and submitted a proposal to the S.C. Athletic Coaches Association to keep that sport in the spring.

“The SCHSSCA appreciates its parent organization, SCACA, for inclusion on this task as we work our way through the best-case scenarios for our student-athletes and coaches. It is our hopes and wishes that a full spring prep athletics season will come to fruition in 2021,” Gray Collegiate coach and associate chairman Kevin Heise wrote in a statement.

With the start of sports for public schools in South Carolina in question because of the coronavirus, the state’s independent high schools remain on track to begin their seasons in August.

South Carolina Independent Schools Association athletic director Mike Fanning sent an email to its member schools that they still plan to hold the first official fall sports practice July 30.

“We are still moving in that direction and still hoping for football to begin on Week 0 with slight modifications in place,” Fanning told The State on Thursday. “We are progressively moving forward.”

It ain't Beaufort, it's Greenville.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

If they start, the season will be over in less than 4 weeks.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Just heard tonight that IF there is high school ball, May be varsity only. No C nor D teams. Very questionable on JV.

And might be moved to spring.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I got 1 slot open on a private place if you want to kill a deer and come's with a YOU WILL KILL ONE or money back. Just saying
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"