Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Service Battery Charging System" Message

Default "Service Battery Charging System" Message

Have this message (and battery light) appearing periodically with no rhyme or reason. I've replaced the alternator and both batteries within the last year, so don't think they're the culprit. What else should I be checking? Auto Zone scan said "#3253 12V CHARGE ALT REG FAILED CODES (?) PASSED". Vehicle in question is a 2007.5 Silverado 2500 with the 6.6, FYI. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I don't remember the code but i had something similar in an 06 2500 with 6.6. 6 month old battery went bad, was replaced under warranty. Did they test the batteries? They unhooked mine and load tested each one to find it.

Didn't have 'em test the batteries because they were practically new. Mistake of omission.

I recently had a practically new battery go bad. It happens.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

take this to the vehicle forum and the genie known as KRT just might appear and provide you with the answer,

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    take this to the vehicle forum and the genie known as KRT just might appear and provide you with the answer,
    Haha Thanks Rick.

Test each battery individually, make sure the CCA’s are where they need to be. If they are good, check to see if your alternator is putting out 13.8 volts with a load (a/c on, high beams, wipers). If it’s good then you have a bad battery cable. I’d have to walk you through that but I’d start with replacing the negative cable(s) if I were going to throw something at it. Make sure you have no corrosion.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Will do. Thanks for the replies.

It’s a GM and a hunk of shit. Pour gasoline in the interior, strike a match and burn it. Call insurance company and go buy a Ford or RAM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    It’s a GM and a hunk of shit. Pour gasoline in the interior, strike a match and burn it. Call insurance company and go buy a Ford or RAM.
    Unfortunately, I don't have rapper money like you, Marcus. I live on da OTHA side of da tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    And I thought harbored hate and disdain for SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't have rapper money like you, Marcus. I live on da OTHA side of da tracks.
    You could always walk or get a bicycle, same thing as owning a GM except you’re more mobile most of the time.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I love my gmc and the last one tooooo, had zero problems
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I love my gmc and the last one tooooo, had zero problems
    Mines been in the shop since April 11, I cleaned that POS out, got my plate, hired an attorney and told them to piss up a rope.

Just had Auto Zone test the charging system. Each battery was at 12.7 volts, and the alternator is good. However their scanner pulled code #3742-Voltage Regulator. How involved a process is this?

It’s built into the alternator

What’s your cold cranking amps on each battery? Battery’s can have good voltage but drop amps

What’s your voltage at each battery with truck running? Should be 13.8 volts
    More fuel = more boost!!

sound like your onboard cpu is racist
    (joke)
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 07-09-2020 at 08:47 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Just had Auto Zone test the charging system. Each battery was at 12.7 volts, and the alternator is good. However their scanner pulled code #3742-Voltage Regulator. How involved a process is this?
    you have to have it tooted before you can replace the voltage regulator

tooted?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    sound like your onboard cpu is racist
    (joke)
    The truck is white, so...

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    tooted?
    yes, its a service Kevin provides. See if this video helps explain it. KRT will not only be remembered as
    a master mechanic but also an award winning cinemaphotographer/marketing expert.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 07-09-2020 at 11:12 AM.