Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Running in the summer heat

Quote Originally Posted by BCR3 View Post
    I drink this stuff called BANA that was developed by an ER doc in Charleston a few years ago. It's basically an IV in a bottle. Not the best tasting thing in the world but you will not cramp and it keeps you hydrated. Here is a link to the website - https://banadrink.com/
    I know quite a few people who swear to the effectiveness of this product when it come to preventing/curing hangovers. Drink a bottle before bed and you're good. Drink two quickly when you wake up with a hangover and you're good is what they say.

Drink a lot of water days before and run at high noon. Don’t let weather or terrain dictate your habits. And when it is cold run in shorts and a t shirt. No one ever froze to death in SC while running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You wake up ill and then just progress to unbearable as the day goes on?
    Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Drink a lot of water days before and run at high noon. Don’t let weather or terrain dictate your habits. And when it is cold run in shorts and a t shirt. No one ever froze to death in SC while running.

I dont know?!?! What time did I post that?

and led is right. drink water and stop being a wussy.

Now, y'all hush and let me finish this doughnut.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Back when I was cool I would run with Powerade gel packs and take a hit every three miles or so. No clue if it worked but in 2005 that was the thing to do. I don’t run far enough now that I need to rehydrate on the run. Anything under 5 miles and you should be prepared based off of hydration 24-48 hours prior.

Shady routes, avoid the sun, lots of water. I'm sure you're doing that already. What's your heart rate on your runs? I've dialed back my easy runs to 8:40-9:10 just to keep my HR in the 125-135 range, that's close to 3:00 slower than 5k pace. I have a friend that runs ultras and uses some kind of ice packs, he said they were a big help on one of his last hot races.

As long as you stay hydrated and get the needed electrolytes, your body will adjust to the hotter temps and humidity if you consistently train in it.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by swamp fox View Post
    Shady routes, avoid the sun, lots of water. I'm sure you're doing that already. What's your heart rate on your runs? I've dialed back my easy runs to 8:40-9:10 just to keep my HR in the 125-135 range, that's close to 3:00 slower than 5k pace. I have a friend that runs ultras and uses some kind of ice packs, he said they were a big help on one of his last hot races.
    I dont monitor HR. Just pace and distance with my phone on an armband.

I started this thread looking to see if anyone was using any kind of ice pack accessories etc.

I am going to keep chugging at 3 miles/3 days a week for now and try to find cooler times to do it.

Right now though I am in quarantine.... test tomorrow AM.

Dont feel real sick but dont feel great. Persistent headache kind of light headed at times, slight runny nose and sore throat. Was unknowingly (all parties involved) with someone ALL of last weekend that is confirmed positive and they are really feeling like shit right now.

In this heat, I much prefer the cooler temperatures inside at your Mom's house.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    Pee dee would be the one to ask he runs like 10 miles a day even when it’s 120 out.
    It has been whipping me...I don’t think Diet Coke and coffee help me stay hydrated...that’s all I have to add
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

I play competitive tennis and I staple mustard packets to my shoe soles. It's like speed skating. Plus if I got cocaine scours The mustard streaks camouflage it

if you squirt the mustard package down the crack of your ass people would have a hard time trying to zoom in on your backhand

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    if you squirt the mustard package down the crack of your ass people would have a hard time trying to zoom in on your backhand
    cant argue that

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    Mustard packets?
    Cramp Killer

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Electrolytes. Electrolytes. Electrolytes.

You can run in hot weather and high humidity till the cows come home as long as you stay hydrated and get the lytes in.

Get some...

https://drinklmnt.com/
    This.

This heat is a bitch but thanks to mustard packets I no longer give a fuck about nothin

Quote Originally Posted by blackstock View Post
    I have found not running when it’s hot, or pleasant or cold for that matter, really helps with the discomfort associated with running
    Most useful information I've gleaned from this thread.

Any info needed on running can be found here. He didn’t have no mustard packets, or water belts, or ice packs. Just good old-fashioned gumption.

Last edited by wskinner; 07-10-2020 at 08:13 PM.

He just felt like running. End of story.

Staying well hydrated will make you feel better but is not much evidence that it keeps you from overheating. Army Medicine recently pushed out new guidelines and the main discussion on fluids was to avoid over hydrating due to the risk of hyponatremia. The most important part of handling training in the heat is to do it often. Your body adjust, mainly by increasing the small blood vessels at your skin so that you can offload heat more efficiently.

The largest amount of research worldwide and the DoD heat Center is all based out of where I currently work, Martin Army Community Hospital at Fort Bennning. It is a very interesting topic with a lot more to learn, but huge strides have been made in the last 5-10 years.
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 07-10-2020 at 09:10 PM.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

I know hyponatremia is real, but how often does it occur in this country?