Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Running in the summer heat

Pee dee would be the one to ask he runs like 10 miles a day even when it’s 120 out.
    Hey big man lemme hol a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by jfields47 View Post
    When I was in my Ironman training regiment, there was no avoiding the runs in the heat and humdity. I hated morning runs but the longer the runs got, the more I focused on running early before the sun got up too high. Hydration is critical. The more dehydrated you are, the harder it is to control your heart rate due to your body trying to cool itself by pumping more blood. Being dehydrated just made everything else work. Hydration isn't a "day of" thing. You must continually hydrate or risk getting behind really quick. I tracked many things but I always weighed before each run during the summer months. It wasn't uncommon during a 1 hour run to lose 6-7lbs and I always ran with hydration. Not overly drinking but a quick sip every mile, usually no more than 16 oz in 1 hr, and not just water. You must replaced the electrolytes as some mentioned above. You should drink half your body weight in water plus what you are losing during running.
    I have to drink 100 plus pounds of water, plus what lose, every time I run?

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    I have to drink 100 plus pounds of water, plus what lose, every time I run?
    That’s only 14 gallons.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    We play competive tennis 3-4 days a week still and you just have to be smart or it will bite you quick. Smart don't come easy with some people 2th
    "I don't play tennis everyday but when I do I drive my 1986 F150 to the courts" ~ DRDUCK aka Jonathan Goldsmith the most interesting man the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    so you paleo running people have to buy things that come in a bottle to get necessary nutrients you cant find in nature?

Have you tried water? Like out of a hose?

for full disclosure, I got tired typing this.

Carry on.
    You wake up ill and then just progress to unbearable as the day goes on?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    That’s only 14 gallons.
    Well when you say it like that. Where are y’all getting your hydration bladder systems? Would the spray tank aisle at Tractor Supply be a good place to look.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    so you paleo running people have to buy things that come in a bottle to get necessary nutrients you cant find in nature?

Have you tried water? Like out of a hose?

for full disclosure, I got tired typing this.

Carry on.

I consistently work on staying hydrated and drink large amounts of water even when I am not thirsty. I will take a look at the supplement you posted Glenn.
    I was mostly wondering if anyone was wearing any sort of precooled hat, bandanna, shirt, whatever.

Today was the first day I had run in 3 weeks due to foot pain that I am working on resolving with stretching, rest, etc.
    I knew it was humid and warm so set out to run 3 miles at an 8:15 pace instead of my normal 5-7 at 7:30-8 min pace.
    I was not breathing hard, my body wasn’t sore, but damnit I was hotter than hell and that was what was making me want to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drink this stuff called BANA that was developed by an ER doc in Charleston a few years ago. It's basically an IV in a bottle. Not the best tasting thing in the world but you will not cramp and it keeps you hydrated. Here is a link to the website - https://banadrink.com/

Quote Originally Posted by blackstock View Post
    I have found not running when it’s hot, or pleasant or cold for that matter, really helps with the discomfort associated with running
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

You ain’t alone, it is tough right now. Mornings=humidity and evenings=heat. I agree just maintain thru the summer.

I thought running was a cowardice sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I thought running was a cowardice sport.
    One directional thinking based on the Cornwallian theory of surrender and occupation.

Some actually run TOWARDS the fight. Not just away from it.

Ha, I thought I was paraphrasing you

And I did start running again several years back, until the second shot in my knee.. I'd rather be able to play golf

Links course?

Haha

A teaspoon of mustard and a Gatorade will make you feel much better. Mustard is the miracle cure for cramps. Turmeric does more for cramps than salt.

It should have said, half your body weight in ounces of water. Otherwise, that’s a lot of water.

I don’t do much other than drink water all day and try not to drink much else. I have two cups of coffee in the morning and then it’s water all day.......a couple beers at night. I pee so much, sometimes it’s obnoxious.

I run @ 5:30 in the morning which helps tremendously.