Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running in the summer heat

Default Running in the summer heat

Any tips/tricks on trying to stay cool besides running early/late?
    I was looking around at some cooling bandannas etc trying to find ways to stay a little cooler as it seems to be my most limiting factor right now. Im not real big on early AM runs as I prefer to get up, move around a little, try to prehydrate some, and eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This humidity is brutal right now in the mornings. I bout monkeyed at F3 this morning. For me, being thoroughly hydrated before I run helps a lot.

If you wear your mask, it filters out the humidity along with the Covid. It’s a win-win.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    If you wear your mask, it filters out the humidity along with the Covid. It’s a win-win.
    Im going to have to try this. Then when I pass out, I wont even realize I am hot anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    This humidity is brutal right now in the mornings. I bout monkeyed at F3 this morning. For me, being thoroughly hydrated before I run helps a lot.
    Agreed. Just ran 3.5 miles and walked a half mile. By mile 2.5 I was over it.

I use gels and mustard packets when it gets real hot out and I’m doing 4+ miles,

Mustard packets?

I think finding a run with shade is key. I’m about to do one at my lunch break. Anytime the temp is less than 90 I give it a go.

I have found not running when it’s hot, or pleasant or cold for that matter, really helps with the discomfort associated with running

I pair back my running during the summer. I do enough to maintain but not anything more.

It's not so much the heat as it is the damn humidity. Running in the supper humid morning conditions is like running against a wall or pulling a sled. I've reverted back to the treadmill the past couple of weeks.

Electrolytes. Electrolytes. Electrolytes.

You can run in hot weather and high humidity till the cows come home as long as you stay hydrated and get the lytes in.

Get some...

https://drinklmnt.com/

victory punch

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    Mustard packets?
    Yeah, I'm hoping it's for a sausage wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Electrolytes. Electrolytes. Electrolytes.

You can run in hot weather and high humidity till the cows come home as long as you stay hydrated and get the lytes in.

Get some...

https://drinklmnt.com/
    Glennda

Whatchu know about vitalyte? I have been using it and seems to work but I don't research this shit and I aint paleo, keto or homo.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Glennda

Whatchu know about vitalyte? I have been using it and seems to work but I don't research this shit and I aint paleo, keto or homo.
    Not familiar with it. Just looked at their website and can't find any information on contents etc. They lost me at "glucose" based. It seems to be on par with Tailwind and Sword. Mostly sugar or sugar like substance and low in electrolytes. I used tailwind for a few races and long runs and got crushed. It made me thirsty and I still got heat exhaustion. Once I switched to LMNT all that went away. No cramps, no wall and no thick spit/thirst feeling because of the glucose.

so you paleo running people have to buy things that come in a bottle to get necessary nutrients you cant find in nature?

Have you tried water? Like out of a hose?

for full disclosure, I got tired typing this.

Carry on.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    I bout monkeyed at F3 this morning.
    Bo, you just lost the Yankee half of SCDUCKs....now tell them that they'll be stove up afterwards... haha
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

When I was in my Ironman training regiment, there was no avoiding the runs in the heat and humdity. I hated morning runs but the longer the runs got, the more I focused on running early before the sun got up too high. Hydration is critical. The more dehydrated you are, the harder it is to control your heart rate due to your body trying to cool itself by pumping more blood. Being dehydrated just made everything else work. Hydration isn't a "day of" thing. You must continually hydrate or risk getting behind really quick. I tracked many things but I always weighed before each run during the summer months. It wasn't uncommon during a 1 hour run to lose 6-7lbs and I always ran with hydration. Not overly drinking but a quick sip every mile, usually no more than 16 oz in 1 hr, and not just water. You must replaced the electrolytes as some mentioned above. You should drink half your body weight in water plus what you are losing during running.

We play competive tennis 3-4 days a week still and you just have to be smart or it will bite you quick. Smart don't come easy with some people 2th
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"