Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trad

Default Trad

Everybody take a minute to remember our buddy Rhett. He popped up on my FB feed in a picture with that damn goofy smile and a wave. Let’s talk about good things about the rabbit sheriff to ease our souls from a time he was lucky enough to miss.

Yesterday I came across a pic he had texted me. In true Rhett style it was simply his middle finger.

I thought about him the other day and wondered how tuned up he would be on FB with all this crap going on. Im sure he would have already been in FB jail multiple times by now
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I’m fairly certain that if you see a shooting star right now it’s Rhett trying to clock a wing nut from above.

One of his earlier assignments he was dispatched to a retention pond behind an administration building.
    Seems a heavy rain displaced a small 36” alligator in the pond and the maintenance personnel called DNR
    to have it relocated. When Rhett arrived the baby gator was resting up on the edge and not in the water making for a quick capture with the snare.

Surprised that the gator stood still and really wasn’t much to it, the maintenance guy was a little disappointed. “Well that was uneventful, maintenance guy said. “Those ladies are all up there looking out the office windows were hoping for some excitement.”

Rhett looking over his shoulder towards the office, now seeing all the audience, asked the maintenance guy to hold the snare for a second.
    Slowly and methodically Rhett removed his shirt before bending down to tape the baby gator’s mouth and put him in a cage.

He was always accommodating, always had a smile on his face!
    “A town is saved, not more by the righteous men in it than by the woods and swamps that surround it.” -Thoreau

Classic.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Every time I pull the trigger on a pig I think of my first time meeting Rhett many years ago when I bought a Marlin .22 mag from him.

This picture was taken this past duck season, 6 more pigs died that week using the little magnum I bought from him. That gun is leaning by the console in this pic and goes with me every time I'm in the boat. I've lost count the number of hogs I've killed with it. He was one of the good guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

My 6 year old talks about Uncle Rhett like they had a conversation yesterday.....some days I wonder.
    Last edited by kquinn; 07-08-2020 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kquinn View Post
    My 6 year old talks about Uncle Rhett like they had a conversation yesterday.....some days I wonder.
    I wouldn’t doubt it in the least.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

In true Rhett "TRAD" fashion this thread makes me smile!
    Thought of him the other Saturday when I took my oldest to shoot. My kid shoots his gun and bow left-handed and Rhett saw a video on FB of him shooting and immediately text me something about I'll kick your ass if you ever make that boy shoot right-handed! About a month before he passed he promised Walker a lefty wheely bow. He was the best at what he did and had a love for kids in the outdoors!

I talk to my Dad all the time. He told me I should have been a Dentist.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

A good friend’s grandfather was one of the owners of Cook’s Mountain hunting club on the Wateree before it was sold to the state.
    The last few years prior to selling I hunted there fairly often.

The property was under the DNR watch program and they usually had a LEO join in on duck hunts.

One morning my buddy and I show up about 4:30 and go to stand by the fire.

Rhett had shown up with Dexter for the morning hunt unbeknownst to me.

One the hunt the week before, my buddy had stated he wanted a specific blind for this morning and was discussing that with some of the older gentlemen while I was talking to Rhett about some girls I had met the night before.

Overhearing my buddy, Rhett, in all his pompousness professes that he wants that blind and stated “if Clarkie can pin me, the blind is yours.”

In front of 9 of the owners that I’m certain he had never met, I had to wrestle him.

I did not win any of the 5 attempts. It was quick, painful, and more embarrassing each time.

He picked me up, dusted my pants off and said, “I didn’t want that blind anyway.”

Here’s to you ole boy. I sure did love you.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

To my disappointment I never had the opportunity to meet Rhett. I always felt like I knew him. When he passed I saved these pictures. I'll run across them quite often and I always smile thinking of y'all's stories.

38808393-0FF3-4D49-A183-0D7786C8297E.jpeg

A543B3A3-7026-4741-981E-684EFBACDAA0.jpg

E2B5DCA4-C1EF-4999-AF63-68E19D91C9FB.jpeg

LMAO @ him wrasslin Bog.

One FF Workday, he whisked my 12yo daughter away to teach her to drive a manual transmission in his jeep around Belle Grove. I'd love to be able to tell him today that she is soon to be 21 and still hasn't learned.

But true to form - he was ALWAYS about teaching kids things that would make them better humans.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Good stuff yall. Makes my day better.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Oh the stories I could tell. Such a fun guy with a zest for life. Wish my kids had the opportunity to know him like I did.

RIP to the world's most lovable pecker head.

Can't believe it's been almost 3 years
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Paging DT where we at on the bridge naming?
    We will trade you the flag for a bridge.

I'm sitting here staring one of my favorite reminders of Rhett, on my wall.

Years ago, Rhett and I, along with a friend from church (Larry), got picked for a good blind at The Cape. Soon after shooting time, a drake and hen pintail came over. My friend busted the drake nicely and I saw Rhett's gun swinging. "Hen, HEN, HEN, HEN!" I about screamed.... Boom.... splat. Then he turns to me and asked "what were you saying?". He was crushed. For the longest time, no more sprigs flew but we had a banner morning shooting teal, widgeon, and gadwall. Closing time was about on us as we lazily lay on a sub-dike. The decoys were still as death. No wind. I was the only one not limited, with one bird remaining.

Then I heard it. That soft trilling whistle... And a big sprig was circling. I called to it just every so often and, for an eternity, it circled... circled. Lower on each pass. It finally committed in a wide banking turn as we watched, frozen. Back pedaling, feet out, I shot it about a foot off the water, filling my limit and killing my first pintail. I can still see the reflection of the bird like a mirror over that still water as I shot, and I can still hear the celebratory shout from Rhett as he selflessly congratulated me. He insisted on going out to get it, paddling that DNR boat and gently picking up the bird and carefully laying it out on the bow of the boat. He stared at it for a while. It was a gorgeous animal. And now, it resides on my wall.

That was a lot of what defined Rhett in one trip. He gladly housed us in his little plantation house the night before, screwed up on a pintail hen in hilarious fashion, then was just as happy with my shot as he would have with his own. He could be the most selfless train wreck I've ever known.

I still leak when I think of him being gone. Way too soon.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen