Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Late but starting to bloom

Default Late but starting to bloom

How is everybodys fields looking this year? I am ready to get back to hunting. Lets see your fields.

I am finally starting to bloom. It has been a crazy year with the dove field. I usually have flowers in the ground mid to late april but my planter messed up when i was planting. I had to wait to see what the stand looked like before i replanted. My dad went in and patched the skipped areas with the one row planter. In the meantime the deer got in and ate half the original crop. So I had to replant a second time. I am late this year but they are starting to bloom well now. Alot of work but they are super clean this year. I am hoping i have a better season this year. Last year was horrible for us. We didnt have any birds after the third weekend.

4650092C-ECCB-41A5-A8B6-17A34C2321F1.jpg

75FFD97C-6BC8-416F-8AC1-FF07D3FF2124.jpg

6CC4437E-660E-4920-BC83-685BAA513DEC.jpg

Lookin good
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Our flowers bloomed about 2 weeks ago. Heads are starting to droop. Power line will be going up in a few weeks. Our fields are the cleanest we've ever had them. Some kind of insect got into our pigweed and ate all the leaves off of them, apparently stunting them. Can't wait!

Looking good in the upstate. In full bloom with some heads as big as dinner plates.

I joined a new deer club this year that planted a dove field on one of the properties we have. I drove over the other day and there isn't anything there. I was really looking forward to shoot a few.

I put that powerline in back in February. I am hoping it helps this field out. I have already seen a few using it so I hope as the sunflowers mature it will be loaded.

Mine have done their thing and the heads are hanging down. Corn is made and is drying down. Brown Top headed out gut still green.

Deer crushed our sunflowers to the point that we sprayed that section with Round Up on Saturday. Dove Proso will be planted in their place this weekend. Our brown top is looking good. We have some wheat that we will begin cutting and burning in early August.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Some kind of insect got into our pigweed and ate all the leaves off of them, apparently stunting them.
    If you caught, bred, and sold this insect you could make some $$$

Damn a bunch of pigweed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    If you caught, bred, and sold this insect you could make some $$$

Damn a bunch of pigweed!

I’d pay good money!

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Don’t know what insect is was but they didn’t touch the corn or sunflowers. Must be living right!

We didn’t plant one at our place this year, first time in about 10yrs we haven’t had one but I did join a dove club and looking forward to It
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Fire ants ruined one of my fields. They made small ant beds around them and everyone died.

I didnt get lucky and have the pigweed eating bugs. I need to come buy some. My father and i walked the rows with back pack sprayers and hand sprayed it in the bad areas. I wish cadre would kill it be much easier.

I wouldn't mind some of those, I can set them up with a little breeding hut/oasis.. I'll probably be down near ours this afternoon eating a steak, I'll try to remember to take a pic.

Planted mine on May 6. They started flowering out the last week of June. They are looking good right now. Should be plenty time for them to dry out and start cutting some by mid August. Only dissapoint this year, I got some different seed and it was seed size 3. With this smaller seed the stalks and heads do seem smaller than last year. Shouldn't matter though, got plenty heads and seed out there.
    20200708_155820.jpg
    E T

In bloom, 15 acres of corn, a couple acres of silver queen, 5 acres of millet, 6 acres of sunflowers.. they're kinda all around, smorgasbord

20200708_222742.jpg

20200708_222615.jpg

20200708_190309.jpg

thats a pretty spot

sweet corn is ready at bg, too. i cant wait to eat some tonight while i pick....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

a couple few of us grilled steaks last night down there, and picked corn right before.. whew, I can eat more corn than a person needs to eat

Looks good Brett! Id bet it was deer eating the pigweed...