Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions

Default Opinions

Contemplating updating vehicles.

Coworkers have 5.0 Ford. 2018s. Seem to be well built since they haven’t broken them...

I have a Toyota and would love another, but for my price range I would be looking at an older (16 and newer).

I know the Fords get pretty good fuel mileage, better than the Toyota at least. I drive a ton, so that’s a factor.

Will I be disappointed in the Ford?

Trim doesn’t matter to me much. I’m thinking Xlt or SR5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I've got a 2012 or 2013 with 150k on it. Other than regular stuff I ain't touched it. The backseat room cannot be compared either

A65A875A-3315-4A90-8606-546D6B4AC9FB.jpg
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

17 and up if you want an eco boost truck. They added port injection to wash the intake valves which was a big problem in previous models.

Starting in 18 the 5.0s have had some serious oil burning issues. Ford is considering 1qt every few thousand miles on a new engine “normal”.

Also the ten speeds have had their share of problems.

May sound like I’m being harsh on Ford trucks but trust me I’m a Ford guy through and through. But to be honest Ford and Chevrolet both have been dropping the ball lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    17 and up if you want an eco boost truck. They added port injection to wash the intake valves which was a big problem in previous models.

Starting in 18 the 5.0s have had some serious oil burning issues. Ford is considering 1qt every few thousand miles on a new engine “normal”.

Also the ten speeds have had their share of problems.

May sound like I’m being harsh on Ford trucks but trust me I’m a Ford guy through and through. But to be honest Ford and Chevrolet both have been dropping the ball lately.
    I appreciate the honestly. My coworkers haven’t had issues yet, but I too am not ok with a qt. Of oil in a new truck being normal.

I’ve heard the Toyota Tundras described as reliably boring. Might have to fork out more cash and just stay in a Toyota.
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I’ve owned f-150 and GMC Sierra both in last few years. I sold the GMC to get back in F150. Both of F150s have been great. To me, Ford is best ride of any of the big trucks including Tundra. I’ve ridden in the newer Tundras but I just didn’t love them.

Tundra!

I’ve heard the Toyota Tundras described as reliably boring. Might have to fork out more cash and just stay in a Toyota.[/QUOTE]

One day you'll look back and say this was one of the smartest decisions I ever made!
    Last edited by SwampDecoy; 07-06-2020 at 09:57 PM.

My dad is in a 15 5.0 with zero issues. Foulmouth30 has a 17 5.0 as his work truck and i can promise that it has been rode hard and put up wet. No issues with it that i know of. My brother in law has a 17 ecoboost and it eats spark plugs and coil packs like they air fresheners. Im sure it’s the rediculas programmer he has on it but still put a bad taste in my mouth. Im looking in the next few months at replacing my 06 5.4 with 250K. It will probably be a 5.0 but i did promise a friend of mine I would give the Tundra a serious look.

If I were shopping today I would be trying to find a reasonable price on a Tundra. But hopefully I have another good 5 years in my current truck and Ford fixes the issues I mentioned.

It kills me they added things like fully reclining seats to the 2021 model but mention nothing of the other problems being resolved.
    Last edited by Cwaysvt; 07-06-2020 at 10:19 PM.

If a Tundra had a longer bed in the crew max and could tow 12k, I’d buy one in a heartbeat over anything.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    If I were shopping today I would be trying to find a reasonable price on a Tundra. But hopefully I have another good 5 years in my current truck and Ford fixes the issues I mentioned.

It kills me they added things like fully reclining seats to the 2021 model but mention nothing of the other problems being resolved.
    You also get that nifty folding console shifter.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

What is wrong with your current Tundra besides not being new and cool? Drive it until it blows up, and then take it to KRT to fix. You just saved $20,000.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    What is wrong with your current Tundra besides not being new and cool? Drive it until it blows up, and then take it to KRT to fix. You just saved $20,000.
    That’s the problem. It’ll never blow up, haha.

I’m given a vehicle allowance through my employer and they like for our vehicles to be newer and lower mileage than what mine is, otherwise I’d keep it.

Thanks everyone for the responses

What’s your budget? I’m about to list my 17 crew max SR5 that’s got 60k trouble free miles on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    If a Tundra had a longer bed in the crew max and could tow 12k, I’d buy one in a heartbeat over anything.
    you don't have too far of a tow though... that's kinda kidding. I've owned a 3/4 ton truck for long enough.. I tow my 22' with the Tundra from the backyard to the sideyard ramp. Yours is a hell of a lot bigger though.

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post

I’m given a vehicle allowance through my employer and they like for our vehicles to be newer and lower mileage than what mine is, otherwise I’d keep it.
    Do they tax you on that allowance?

I have a 2017 F-150 with the 5.0 and 6-speed. 80,000 miles and zero complaints.

I’ve had an 06 tundra since 2010. I will not drive another vehicle made by any other company at this point. I’ll probably replace it with a new-ish tundra in the next year or so. Or I may keep it and buy a Toyota/Lexus sedan for every day travel.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I've got a two year old Tundra getting my last free oil change today.. Twenty three thousand miles, they said they were doing a 25k service, if there's such a thing. If I buy a new truck in the next decade or two, it'll be because I want leather.. then again I might just put leather seats in this one.