Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pig on duck: 20-25 ft bay boats

I would put the 26 avenger from Carolina Composites on my short list if I was in the market also, really nice rig and layout.

I was looking at these boats in the 21-23 foot range, more specifically I was mainly focusing on key west, sea hunt,
    Sea pro, and sportsman. I focused mainly on layout, storage, fit and finish, standard features. I ended up placing them in this order: Sea Pro 228 with Sprortsman masters 227 being a close second (this could change after a sea trial), Key west 21 or 23 both are very good boats, and last would be sea hunt.

The reason the Sea Pro stood out to me was the layout, nice bilge access right behind the leaning post, good drainage in the cockpit, completely finished fiberglass everywhere. Comes pre rigged and planned out storage for 3 trolling motor batteries in floor right in front of the console, this is something so simple yet was a big deal to me. In all the other boats I can not see where this is thought of, so you will either have to fill the console with 5 batteries or place 2 or 3 in a back corner hatch. On a boat where 95% of buyers will have a trolling motor, why not design it with a place for those batteries? The Sea Pro has good forward seating options which make it family friendly. Also they come with a 6 year “stem to stern” warranty that covers everything. The only thing I didn’t like about the 228 was the access to the console is a small front half door, so you could not use the space for a port-a Potty, this is a want that my wife has but not a deal breaker. If you step up to their 248 model you get a full size side door to the console with room for a head, also you get 2 pressurized live wells.

Personally I don’t think I would go over 23-24’ on a bay boat. Number 1 reason would be cost, haha, but the main reason would be that you start to loose some of your inshore capabilities with regards to getting in smaller creeks and trying to turn around. Also they are still bay boats and not meant for offshore runs all the time. It all boils down to what you plan to do with the boat. I’ll leave you with this, several years ago I was speaking with a friend about his 24’ pathfinder. I had never been on the boat but assumed it must be an awesome fishing machine. He quickly opened my eyes when he described the boat as “a jack of all trades but the ace of none.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

If you get a pathfinder, you will need to wear rubber boots to not get your feet wet. Not sure if they fixed that in the brand new models but the 2 I have fished on held a few inches of water on the deck while you are fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    If you get a pathfinder, you will need to wear rubber boots to not get your feet wet. Not sure if they fixed that in the brand new models but the 2 I have fished on held a few inches of water on the deck while you are fishing.
    Even with the ping pong balls scuppers mine had this issue since it had a 4stroke and a jack plate. Really annoying in the winter time. The pathfinder was way nicer than the sv2100 seapro I had before it though, I hated that boat.

I don’t see tidewater mentioned on here......are they worth looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    No.

I have only fished out of a shearwater, and man are they really nice.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Even with the ping pong balls scuppers mine had this issue since it had a 4stroke and a jack plate. Really annoying in the winter time. The pathfinder was way nicer than the sv2100 seapro I had before it though, I hated that boat.
    What was wrong with the SV2100? I had my eye on one.
    Last edited by Cooney; 07-09-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    I have only fished out of a shearwater, and man are they really nice.
    I've got a 2004 22 footer. My motor was beginning to crap out on mine, and I made the decision to repower it instead of look for a newer one. I haven't regretted that decision at all. I like the boat, but like somebody said earlier - jack of all trades, master of none.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
    What was wrong with the SV2100? I had my eye on one.
    Not a damn thing. Probably one of the drier bay boats out there. The hull design is great and if you get a 2004-2005 hull they have the better laid out deck. The older ones had shitty storage and deck layout but they ride well and stay dry. You need at least 150hp on the back and trim tabs make a big difference. I put roughly 200hrs a year on mine and it does everything I ask of it.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    On newer models this isn't an issue. Ping pong ball scuppers ($50) will fix this problem but you have to keep them clean. If I had the money I would go with the Pathfinder 2500 Hybrid. It is a fishing machine.

https://pathfinderboats.com/boats/2500-hybrid/

Quote Originally Posted by Birchwood2 View Post
    On newer models this isn't an issue. Ping pong ball scuppers ($50) will fix this problem but you have to keep them clean. If I had the money I would go with the Pathfinder 2500 Hybrid. It is a fishing machine.

https://pathfinderboats.com/boats/2500-hybrid/
    If I dropped over 90k on a bay boat I’d want them to stand behind it more than a 5 year warranty.

I have had a 24 Sea Ox, I mean Pair Customs (the non Deep V) for about a year and a half now. For anyone interested in a boat this size they are certainly worth checking out. Bryan is a great guy and builds a hell of a boat. Could not be happier with mine.

Robalo Cayman 246 - Had one for a little over a year and its been great. Heavy, rides well in rough seas ( for its category, obviously a big deep v better)

Ive been reef fishing out 90' or so alot in it and have definitley pushed its limits. its impressed me every time.

Friends have a 26 pathfinder and I like that too.

This is a hard question to answer without knowing what you want to accomplish in this boat. The Robalo did it all for me, which is why I chose that. Reef fishing, Shallow enough draft for good inshore fishing, forward backrest seating for days where we just cruise/beach. It seems to be a jack of all trades without sacrificing any loss in any area.