Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pig on duck: 20-25 ft bay boats

Default pig on duck: 20-25 ft bay boats

to piggy back off duck tape. let's discuss the models in the 20-26 ft bay boat center console group. and if you just heard it was good or bad on another chas fishing or scducks thread just refrain. it's ok not to know.
    let's start w:
    Key west, pathfinder, sea hunt, sea pro, seafox, yellowfin, sportsman, or any others. I realize these arent all same price point but that is the point of the discussion.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

aka the "charleston package"

Are you looking to buy new or looking for opinions on older models?

Another great brand Scout could be in your consideration
    Last edited by duckz; 07-06-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    Scout. 17'-23'
    good? bad? pricey? pretty? pro trump? expound please

Pathfinders are nice-rode in a 22' and it felt much bigger than it was, yellowfin is prob the best out of your list but you will get sticker shock. Contender makes a nice bay boat too but it can be wet riding. Uncle has a key west bayreef, only 17' but fishes like a 20 foot+ boat and rides good for what it is. Buddy has a 22 Shearwater bay and to me it rides pretty good, just keep the nose up and it will do what you need it to do.
    every expert was once a beginner

26 pathfinder is by far the best riding bay boat I have ridden in.

Personal experience on a friend’s sportsman 20’tournament with a 200hp sho. Perfect inshore/jetty boat for serious fishing, not a good idea if you have aspirations to get off the beach on a less than perfect day. Rough riding and very wet. It’s basically a flats boat with a t-top.

sorry I just edited my original. I have been in a few scout boats, great quality and they have all price ranges. I like that the ones I have seen are composite transom. I have been eyeing one for a little while, good in between boat for family and inshore/nearshore fishing. We have Fountain for offshore, but that is larger. I know a few guys with Yellowfin and they love them, I haven't had any experience in one though. Buddy just bought a Sportsman 26' I think, its his second. I had considered the Key West, they make similar models to the Scouts, but not the same feeling to the craftmanship, but in all similar design.

Had a 19 ft Pathfinder and bought a Pioneer 220 baysport off of here. There is absolutely no comparing the two. The pathfinder was way rougher and wetter than the pioneer, granted it was 3 feet shorter but still it was one of the roughest boats I've rode in. The pioneer is way smoother and drier. It handles everything I've thrown at it and I rode on Lake Murray yesterday after the parade at about 45 mph. Got a little squirrelly when trying to turn in all the waves but otherwise it was great. It honestly likes to get up and go across the tops of wakes than plow through them. Resell on the pathfinder was crazy though. Think I had it for 2 or 3 years and sold it pithing 3 days for what I asked for it to some dude in Florida. Don't think the same will happen with the Pioneer although it is a solid boat. Both boats were about the same years and I've noticed significantly less spider cracking in the pioneer than what the Pathfinder had, especially under the hatches. I do think that if you are looking for a boat laid out for fishing Pathfinder usually has that covered. If you are looking for something that you can cruise with the family in, Pathfinder usually does not have that covered
    Last edited by theoldblackdog; 07-06-2020 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    Had a 19 ft Pathfinder and bought a Pioneer 220 baysport off of here. There is absolutely no comparing the two. The pathfinder was way rougher and wetter than the pioneer, granted it was 3 feet shorter but still it was one of the roughest boats I've rode in. The pioneer is way smoother and drier. It handles everything I've thrown at it and I rode on Lake Murray yesterday after the parade at about 45 mph. Got a little squirrelly when trying to turn in all the waves but otherwise it was great. It honestly likes to get up and go across the tops of wakes and plow through them. Resell on the pathfinder was crazy though. Think I had it for 2 or 3 years and sold it pithing 3 days for what I asked for it to some dude in Florida. Don't think the same will happen with the Pioneer although it is a solid boat. Both boats were about the same years and I've noticed significantly less spider cracking in the pioneer than what the Pathfinder had, especially under the hatches. I do think that if you are looking for a boat laid out for fishing Pathfinder usually has that covered. If you are looking for something that you can cruise with the family in, Pathfinder usually does not have that covered
    do know there have been some decking issues w the older pathfinders circa 2008 (not sure on the years but do know it is the older ones) dont know much about pioneer

Just make sure your bay boat comes with a poling platform!

I’m looking for same boats, look at the sea pro 228/248, they seem very nice
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Just make sure your bay boat comes with a poling platform!
    haha. My pathfinder had a platform on it. As somebody who has had a poling skiff and used it I always thought it was odd to have it. Fished a redfish tournament out of that boat and spent a lot of time fishing and while never poled the pathfinder it did help with spotting fish from higher up

I'm not going to talk bad about any brand although many brands deserve it- do your research- The Hull Truth is a good starting point.

Im running a 250br Key west, 250sho. It’s a hot rod of a bay boat, fishes shallow, rides really good, really the perfect fishing platform in my eyes. Been fishing the high school bass tournaments out of it, 2 big boys and myself, 5 batteries, 50gallons of fuel(holds 80) trolling motor power pole and a lot of tackle we can run 53-54 depending on if there’s a little chop or not. I’ve owned a sea pro sv21, pathfinders, and an action craft and this boat is by far the best layout and ride. Fished on about everything in its class and there’s no comparing the ride. Wish it had a 350 on it but can’t because of HP restrictions in some of the tournaments we fish.

Default pig on duck: 20-25 ft bay boats

I’ve fished with Brad Taylor in his Tidewater 2410 baymax several times. It’ jumps on plane and rides great.

Triton 220 or 240 LTS has always been my favorite bay boat and they have a great resell value.

Ive never ridden on a yellowfin or Shearwater. Capt Tom fishes a Shearwater I believe.

I never liked pathfinders. Rode like a fancy skiff to me. They don’t weigh anything.
    Last edited by britton40; 07-06-2020 at 02:27 PM.

The Mako boats at bass pro always catch my eye. I heard the older models used to be ehh, but now they have started stepping up their game. No experience but maybe someone does.

Yellowfin and pathfinder would be by far my top choices as those are also what most of the guides in South Florida were running while I was living there.. Tidewater and seahunt are great value boats. I am not a fan of Scout bayboats.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Not diving into any brands but a few things I would look at:

How thought out is the design, do I have good access to any maintenance or serviceable parts (bilge etc)
    How is the boat built, cheap chopper gun, hand laid, infused etc.
    What materials are being used?
    Look at the wiring, it’s a place many will cut corners.
    What do used boats Of this brand/model on the market look like. Worn out, spider cracking everywhere etc or still in good condition.

In general, from what I have experienced I have found better quality in boats that can be ordered factory direct vs a dealer system. Also look at your warranties if buying new, that can tell a lot about the companies confidence in their product.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 07-06-2020 at 02:18 PM.

I'd rather cut my finger off than buy a Bass Pro mako, they can f*** anything