Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier 1 vs Tier 2 boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Why don't you just take the extra money and hire a regular maintenance guy? Kind of like a plantation caretaker for your boat.
    Too bougie until you reach 50 ft.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Why don't you just take the extra money and hire a regular maintenance guy? Kind of like a plantation caretaker for your boat.
    Likely will have to replace/repair all these issues before he gets rid of the boat anyways.

This is like buying a new car because you need an oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    That is the point of my post. I can replace the boat with a 30 ft fully loaded Sportsman and twin 425s for 225k. Is it actually worth 425k for a fully loaded Tier 1?
    You're asking a question only you can answer. I am in the bay boat market. I have crawled all over many boats. I have toured multiple factories from Florida to NC. My personality is such that I'm only satisfied with the best. That's why I'm saving my coin to build an Estero. You, ultimately, have to be happy with your boat.

Narrow your list, sea-trial each one, and then find one a coupla' years old. It'll most likely already be fully rigged and ready to fish without you having to make all those ancillary decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Narrow your list, sea-trial each one, and then find one a coupla' years old. It'll most likely already be fully rigged and ready to fish without you having to make all those ancillary decisions.
    It’s got to be new or it just won’t work. He’s got image and status to keep up with. Plus those heavy ass 425’s are only available on the 30’.

Get out and shop around. Get on various boats and inspect the layout, construction, fit, finish, hardware etc.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

That is the point of my post. I can replace the boat with a 30 ft fully loaded Sportsman and twin 425s for 225k. Is it actually worth 425k for a fully loaded Tier 1?
    My thought is that if you only go out 10-15 times a year it isn't worth it. Those Tier 1 boats are made for charter fisherman or people that fish constantly (75+ times a year). No doubt they are nicer and perform better, but if it doesn't get used, it's kind of a waste of money. That Sportsman will do 80% or more of what a Regulator will do. Gotta make the decision if the $200K is worth that extra percentage. Only you can decide how you value that money.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    My thought is that if you only go out 10-15 times a year it isn't worth it. Those Tier 1 boats are made for charter fisherman or people that fish constantly (75+ times a year). No doubt they are nicer and perform better, but if it doesn't get used, it's kind of a waste of money. That Sportsman will do 80% or more of what a Regulator will do. Gotta make the decision if the $200K is worth that extra percentage. Only you can decide how you value that money.
    Great post. I can see paying 25% more for the best but nearly twice really had me scratching my head.

So when does the Rona economy cause this hyperinflation of boat prices to reverse? Who is actually in line for three years waiting on a center console?

When sleepy joe gets elected.
    cut\'em

So when does the Rona economy cause this hyperinflation of boat prices to reverse? Who is actually in line for three years waiting on a center console?
    Boat prices have been hyper inflated long before Corona. Get on THT, you can be one of those guys bitching about the cost of a top tier boat and how it’s all going to crash down soon.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Can someone explain this "Tier" system to me like I am a Boykin spaniel?

Three tiers
    Money
    Mo Money
    Stupid money.

Sorry I forgot about the Boykin part. Imagine I told you that while sitting on the floor.

The three tiers:
    Peanut slingers
    Peanuts and footballs
    Peanuts, footballs and bekinis.

We paid 170 for the 28 ft sportsman 2 years ago. I can get a new one 30 ft long for 50 more.

How much for a new 31 regulator with twin 425s?
    Why didn't you tell me about this? You know I can take care of the little issues going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    Why didn't you tell me about this? You know I can take care of the little issues going on.
    Thanks Ralph. Sportsman always been great to work with.

I finally got a call back from an expensive boat salesman and he could not explain why his boat was 150k better.

So far my research of tier 1 vs 2 tells me tier 1 just overcharges.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Can someone explain this "Tier" system to me like I am a Boykin spaniel?
    you couldnt possibly pay attention long enough....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

You need a Yellowfin!

Tier one boats carry a premium for multiple reasons. Materials and craftsmanship, services, design, options and customization, company reputation and history etc. Why pay for private school when you can get a public education is the way you are looking at it I guess. Which is perfectly fine.
    Last edited by willk; 07-08-2020 at 09:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Thanks Ralph. Sportsman always been great to work with.

I finally got a call back from an expensive boat salesman and he could not explain why his boat was 150k better.

So far my research of tier 1 vs 2 tells me tier 1 just overcharges.
    One of the funniest things to watch is someone (boat salesman or private seller) babble about why a certain boat is worth so much.
    After an hour of pointing out “custom hand made parts” that in reality cost more to ship than to manufacture, the end conclusion is “that’s what they’re going for.”

The idea that a boat is worth more than a truck is absurd.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.