Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier 1 vs Tier 2 boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    My wife bought the last one...

This one is on me... So spending an extra hundred for name only is not my bag. Spending 50 for brand new and a couple feet more is fine.
    So, you want to spend $50k more for 2’-4’ itis new? Then you’re going to be playing in the same tier you’re in now just a bigger version of it. Those names with the extra $100 earned them by building a better product, you don’t see it when it’s calm and Jon boats are 20 miles out with you. You see it when that shelf cloud boils over and it goes from calm to 4-6’ in the blink of an eye where things start getting stressed and broken. Not a big deal when you’re spending your time on a lake though. My hull is 13 years old, hardware is all original other than Gemlux rod holders I added, not a speck of rust on it.

Realistically sounds like you want something bigger for no reason which is fine if you do. Or fix what you have because it doesn’t sound like much more than bad connections and a few tweaks.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

We paid 170 for the 28 ft sportsman 2 years ago. I can get a new one 30 ft long for 50 more.

How much for a new 31 regulator with twin 425s?
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 07-06-2020 at 08:24 PM.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Maintenance and upkeep is how you keep the things you have mentioned in food working order.
    An extra 4ft won’t keep a fuel gauge working. Speaking of, does you boat not have the fuel gauge on the engine ECM?

Your tiers are messed up. I’d love a new boat, but I’m cheap. I fish a 21 Contender that’s 20yrs with an Ox66. It sucks gas & smokes some but it’s paid for. We still go offshore in it. I’d love bigger but I’m waiting to see what happens my rising sophomore finishes high school in a few years if we are staying on the coast or to the mountains on a lake.

My kids have a gift for fixing. I do not. Nor the will to. Maybe that is why I want to trade often.

36 Cape Horn.

If you have Instagram, look up Wavy boats. Guy sits at some of the craziest inlets and films boats coming in and going out. Should give you an idea what some of the boats mentioned above will do in 4-6 footers. The Freemans glide thru all of it. Had a really weird hulled cc made by Vandalize boats that cut the waves like butter and looked like it landed about as soft as possible on those waves. Look up Vandalize boats..
    Last edited by mrtroy4man; 07-06-2020 at 09:02 PM.
    every expert was once a beginner

31 Regulator with 425’s gonna run you around $385k before you add anything!

My kids have a gift for fixing. I do not. Nor the will to. Maybe that is why I want to trade often.
    We already knew you didn’t have a gift for fixing things. We saw that when you helped remove the flag from state house grounds. That was going to fix all racial tensions.

All boat prices are high right now but Regulator prices have gone bananas. Don’t get me wrong I’ve fished many and they are my favorite but man oh man the market prices on them is wild.

We paid 170 for the 28 ft sportsman 2 years ago. I can get a new one 30 ft long for 50 more.

Not to jump your case, but why consider the same brand if you’re not happy with all of the small issues piling up? That boat might be a few feet longer but what do you do when the same issues come up?

I would have to look at the Regulator. I rode in one and the ride was really soft, but I ain't a CC guy.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

2’ and 425’s aren’t going to give you anything more than what you have. There are people that work on these things for a living. $50k to gain 2’ and 425’s at what performance gain over what you have? It’s your money but a lot of the way a boat performs is based on the space between the wheel and the seat.

All your electronics issues would take a day to fix. Rusted hardware can be replaced with upgrades and those doors probably need a gasket.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

DT, look up roguemotion.com in charleston. They have a 28' Gillikin that is well below your price range but should give you the ride you are looking for and it has the looks to boot. Sell the 225's off of it and repower with two 300's.
    every expert was once a beginner

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    You can be slow and dry or run fast and take the chance of getting some spray. 36 yellowfin with trip 300’s and you can run 60mph on top and not get wet other than the occasional wave.
    Bullshit. I’ve fished the biggest YF they make. Many times slower is wetter anyway. THEYRE ALL wet if it’s rough enough.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by formerly bohica View Post
    Maintenance and upkeep is how you keep the things you have mentioned in food working order.
    An extra 4ft won’t keep a fuel gauge working. Speaking of, does you boat not have the fuel gauge on the engine ECM?
    Hell my Simrads are 13 years old, slow and still work. I keep thinking about replacing them but then we go out, load the boxes and get home and spending thousands on new units doesn’t seem too smart. Same thing on the old F250’s, service them every 100hrs and keep rolling.

Seriously thought about buying that set of F300’s on THT some guy had with like 200hrs for $30k for the pair, controls and props. Those didn’t last long though and mine run like new.

First tip I offer after reading a few comments on here, don't take advice from a duck board about fishing boats....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Ha - Fro probably has a valid point. But I feel like you are entering the category of boat where you really need to get on them and see trail in different conditions so you can determine for yourself if say a Regulator is worth the extra coin for what your use will be, etc. Good luck with purchase and I hope to see it posted here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    31 Regulator with 425’s gonna run you around $385k before you add anything!
    That is the point of my post. I can replace the boat with a 30 ft fully loaded Sportsman and twin 425s for 225k. Is it actually worth 425k for a fully loaded Tier 1?

Why don't you just take the extra money and hire a regular maintenance guy? Kind of like a plantation caretaker for your boat.