Thread: Another Snake Pic

Default Another Snake Pic

Walking the four month old Springer pup this morning. Saw this one as the dog was stepping on it. Walked right across it, two or three steps right on its back and the snake never flinched.
    A38EEEFB-29C9-46FE-AF53-DC336B240150.jpg

Is the pup named lucky?

Well that doesn’t fit the decade long scducks narrative that venomous snakes will chase you down and castrate you if you don’t kill every one you see.

....to be honest your encounter is textbook canebrake behavior.
    Docile as a bumble bee until you start pestering it.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Yep. That snake was doing nothing more than waiting on some food.

Good story!

Is it just me, or do you really have to piss off rattler something fierce to get them to strike? Seems to me that they'd just assume play dead than strike if you're not part of their food chain...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

The ones that I have caught traveling and out in the open have been much more defensive. Feeling vulnerable I guess.

The ones that I have seen coiled and stationary have been quite calm.
    Last edited by Drylok; 07-05-2020 at 12:21 PM.

In my experience canebrakes are pretty chill unless you really mess with them to piss them off. My only encounter with a diamondback was quite different, he was rattling and up ready to strike as soon as he saw me.
    More Ducks, Less People

This:

The ones that I have caught traveling and out in the open have been much more defensive. Feeling vulnerable I guess.

If you are working with snakes a lot, you'll find that canebrakes are slow to anger but have a threshold and if you pass it they can be...difficult.

The Diamondbacks in our study--most are chill. I had to work with three last Sunday in close quarters. They are pretty predictable.
    Hunting outside the box

I poked a cottonmouth yesterday that was laying in the drive with a shooting stick. It opened it's mouth one time for maybe 2 seconds. Never struck. It finally turned around and went back the other direction. Surprised me.

I had a canebreak in a terrarium many years ago that was not particularly docile. His cell mate was a cottonmouth that probably could have been handled he was so chill. There was also a blind mouse that was intended to be a meal that turned into a long term pet. They'd immediately strike and eat any other mouse but this blind one gained their acceptance. He'd usually eat his kibbles while sitting on the cottonmouth's head.

My buddy had little diamondback that would rattle when you walked in the room and he never learned not to strike at the glass. He had a totally different temperament than the timber rattler.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I've run many cane brakes from under corn feeders, they always act like they are annoyed I messed with them but none of them rattled or took a stand. Came up on one in a road on hunt club once, it went to rattles and strikes right away and didn't want to leave. Big fat one. I believe it was a pregnant female and that's why it had the attitude. But by far the majority just lie there and hope I don't see them, no telling how many you walk by in the woods and never see, think about that when you're prancing in the woods in your crocs.

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post

Most every big rattlesnake I see in the road will buzz if I stop the truck and hurry him along.

He knows you see him and feels vulnerable indeed.

They don’t like to be exposed in the open.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Those westerns in Texas wake up pissed off. They will rattle if you are within 10 yards and go up
    Into that pissed off “S” in a heartbeat.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands