Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for Though...

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    you need new bait
    If I were white, would the subject be any less valid?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Several of the men who issued the decree:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

...were slave owners at the time the decree was issued. Your thoughts?
    My thoughts? Well, let's see.
    Slavery has been and always will be a cruel and abhorrent institution.
    While slavery was present throughout the world and the lands of the North American continent for hundreds and thousands of years, let's look at slavery's shelf life under the newly formed government of the United States of America that was established via the Declaration of Independence on July 1, 1776.
    In the short span of less than 87 years, this fledgling country had fought and ultimately issued an Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863 abolishing slavery.
    This Emancipation was fought and won thru the bloodiest of wars pitting countrymen against their fellow countryman at a cost of over 618,000 killed in battle.
    Name another country in the history of mankind that paid such a heavy price in such a short amount time to free their fellow man from the bonds of slavery

I'll shut up and listen now.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 07-05-2020 at 11:15 AM.

I still wouldn’t have paid it any more attention
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

What a gigantic waste of time on such a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I still wouldn’t have paid it any more attention
    Wasn't directing my question at you, bubba. You don't have a history of using the "race-baiter" label as your default response, so we're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    What a gigantic waste of time on such a nice day.
    And yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    It’s a tricky one for sure, trying to understand what’s in the heart and mind of other people.

I don’t pretend to know what they meant at the time. What I do know is slavery, while horrible, was another man made tragedy, born out of sin, that God used for his glory.

I don’t have the wisdom, knowledge or insight to be able to walk back the timeline from so many amazing things that have happened in this country by some amazing people of color that would not have happened without slavery.

I’m not justifying it. I’m not defending it. But in everything God has a plan. He has and will continue to use the suffering of man to further His kingdom.

This is a fact that causes people to struggle with their faith. Death and suffering of good people and a belief in God that allows it to happen. The easy explanation is “God works in mysterious ways”. The hard explanation is we, none of us, were promised a life free of suffering. Men are imperfect. I believe the men who wrote that document all those years ago were doing the best they could with what they had to work with and meant what they wrote even though the actions of some didn’t reflect it at the time.
    You rarely fail to deliver, although I'm sure 2th and your boss-lady might disagree...

No. If you were one that always "poked the bear" I would say the same. As stated by me earlier. Thinking this will do any different is silly. There are no right or wrong answers to the type questions, they change with the person.

ETA BB I hold you in high regard, as with most folks on here in which most I've never met.
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 07-05-2020 at 12:08 PM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Everyone needs to shut up and go fishing or something

Several of the men who issued the decree:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

...were slave owners at the time the decree was issued. Your thoughts?
    So you're asking if we think the politicians of 244 years ago could have been hypocrites? It would appear so. And the tradition still thrives today.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    So you're asking if we think the politicians of 244 years ago could have been hypocrites? It would appear so. And the tradition still thrives today.
    Winner.

Anyone who's ever actually read my posts knows I'm as far-right as they come. I watched a sermon that brought it to my attention, so I was curious as to y'all's thoughts. That's it. Like it or not, the point is valid.
    So, for a “thinker”, someone else had to bring it to your attention? What kind of sermon were you watching? God doesn’t care who you are (race, wealth, status on SCDUCKS, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    My thoughts:

. Hope this helps
    Exactly.

What is this place turning into....I used to come here to get away from all the day to day BULLSHIT discussed in America. Now ever other post is Race and Politics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    So, for a “thinker”, someone else had to bring it to your attention? What kind of sermon were you watching? God doesn’t care who you are (race, wealth, status on SCDUCKS, etc.).

Yeah, absolutely. I'm 100% fine admitting I'd never thought about the paradox until he brought it to my attention. He provided me with a new perspective, thus the thread. Your response was to label me a race-baiter, rather than discuss the topic at hand. That's the opposite of thinking; it's a weak, knee-jerk reaction.

And I don't understand your question about the "kind" of sermon it was? Guess I'd call it, "The Gospel" kind or "The truth" kind? Take a look, and get back to me with your analysis.

https://www.brooklyntabernacle.org/m...8/new-approach

when i read it, the thought of you being black never entered my mind.
    and I can assure you I didn't start my Sunday morning off discussing race
    on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    Exactly.

What is this place turning into....I used to come here to get away from all the day to day BULLSHIT discussed in America. Now ever other post is Race and Politics.

x1000

Yeah, absolutely. I'm 100% fine admitting I'd never thought about the paradox until he brought it to my attention. He provided me with a new perspective, thus the thread. Your response was to label me a race-baiter, rather than discuss the topic at hand. That's the opposite of thinking; it's a weak, knee-jerk reaction.

And I don't understand your question about the "kind" of sermon it was? Guess I'd call it, "The Gospel" kind or "The truth" kind? Take a look, and get back to me with your analysis.

https://www.brooklyntabernacle.org/m...8/new-approach
    So, are you emulating Jesus or starting a “thinking” discussion with this post? Serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    when i read it, the thought of you being black never entered my mind.
    and I can assure you I didn't start my Sunday morning off discussing race
    on the internet.
    Neither did I. Pretty sure you mentioned bait, not me.

The thread is about people demanding freedom while simultaneously refusing to grant it. Race is actually irrelevant.
    Last edited by Black Bart; 07-05-2020 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    So, are you emulating Jesus or starting a “thinking” discussion with this post? Serious question.
    Hopefully, both. Listening to the perspectives of others, particularly those we may disagree with or haven't previously considered, is the first step toward true change. Did you listen to the sermon?

I find this interesting.