Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for Though...

Default Food for Thought...

Several of the men who issued the decree:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

...were slave owners at the time the decree was issued. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Black Bart; 07-05-2020 at 08:56 AM.

My thoughts:

. Hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

I’ve never given it much thought and I don’t intend to start now
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Which men exactly?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

you need new bait

My thoughts: the very paragraph you quoted laid the foundation for the abolishment of slavery in the United States. Nothing about slavery of any kind is ok, but all great societies were founded and have prospered on the backs of a servant or extremely low wage class. This still holds true today in the US with the wide ranging use of illegal immigrants to do the work that nobody else wants to do for a wage nobody else wants to make.

I think the views on slavery at the time by those 56 men were extremely wide ranging, from those who would have had nothing without slaves to staunch abolitionists. But as a group they saw the opportunity to form a country where one day that famous sentence could be true.
    Last edited by dubs; 07-05-2020 at 09:27 AM.
    Formerly DM88

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

You will find that which you seek- choose to seek happiness not strife

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    you need new bait
    Or, change the title to “Here Fishy Fishy”

High minded , noble words. Like being a Christian harder to live than to say. I've thought for along time that if they had tried to abolish slavery at that time there would be no United States of America. I feel blessed to live here. I feel the descendants of those slaves are blessed to live here also. That doesn't make what happened in the past right, but all those people are dead. Soon all those who live during segregation will be dead.

My wife comment about post she had seen. There was a photo of a beautiful young Japanese girl. Then the question is she responsible for the attack on Pearl Harbor?

Don't do the roddie bb
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post
    My thoughts: the very paragraph you quoted laid the foundation for the abolishment of slavery in the United States. Nothing about slavery of any kind is ok, but all great societies were founded and have prospered on the backs of a servant or extremely low wage class. This still holds true today in the US with the wide ranging use of illegal immigrants to do the work that nobody else wants to do for a wage nobody else wants to make.

I think the views on slavery at the time by those 56 men were extremely wide ranging, from those who would have had nothing without slaves to staunch abolitionists. But as a group they saw the opportunity to form a country where one day that famous sentence could be true.
    I don't disagree with you, other than the comparison between low-wage workers and people owned as property. Not quite the same, in my opinion, but I get your point.

And thank you for taking the time to actually ponder the subject, rather than criticizing me because it's the convenient response.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Don't do the roddie bb
    Anyone who's ever actually read my posts knows I'm as far-right as they come. I watched a sermon that brought it to my attention, so I was curious as to y'all's thoughts. That's it. Like it or not, the point is valid.

No problem, what I was getting as was simply the concept that there would be no great societies without the work of the lowest of the low class member.

I think the larger question is how do we view the past, given where we are at today? We have the choice between honoring those who came before us, what they sacrificed, fought for and died for, or becoming angry and bitter about what they had to endure. The first way breeds an attitude of immense gratitude and thankfulness. The second only works to divide.
    Formerly DM88

Quote Originally Posted by Red Huck View Post
    High minded , noble words. Like being a Christian harder to live than to say. I've thought for along time that if they had tried to abolish slavery at that time there would be no United States of America. I feel blessed to live here. I feel the descendants of those slaves are blessed to live here also. That doesn't make what happened in the past right, but all those people are dead. Soon all those who live during segregation will be dead.

My wife comment about post she had seen. There was a photo of a beautiful young Japanese girl. Then the question is she responsible for the attack on Pearl Harbor?
    I agree 100%.

I don’t believe at the time that when it was said “all men” that they were including slaves, however today I do believe that the phrase “all men” includes everyone. Are people born with an advantage? Sure but in the world we live in everyone has a path to success as they see it. Slavery was absolutely horrible and I don’t know many who disagree, but that isn’t today’s reality. In fact there are all sorts of programs and grants that give an advantage to women and minorities that rivals the advantage of those born into wealth. That’s where it ends though. Are white kids born into wealth more privileged than black kids born into wealth?
    I know a few people who have business that are in their wives names because of the benefits that come with being a woman/minority business owner. So with that said I believe that TODAY all men are created equal. I just had a talk with my niece and her dip shit boyfriend that no one owes them shit. In fact it’s quite the opposite. We are not owed anything we owe society something.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    you need new bait
    Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Or, change the title to “Here Fishy Fishy”
    Or, "Non-Thinkers, Don't Click Here"

They used the slaves in NT and a pseudo scientific racism world thought of the time that blacks were less human. Seems far fetched thought to us now but pro-choice people use the same logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try not to dive too deep into the minds of men that died centuries ago.

I find that when I do, I usually come to the realization that there is no possible way for me to even remotely have a clue as to their mindset and that spending time doing so makes me question whether or not it really makes a fuck in 2020.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

BB Iget what you’re saying. That said , every group that immigrated could have some sort of beef with the past. Look at the Scottish and Irish that worked in the coal mines , the Chinese that built the railroads, the lint heads across the south that built the textile industry across the south. If anyone thinks these people were anything more than slaves to the company store they are mistaken.
    The difference is no one turned their abuse into a money maker, thus these ethnic groups don’t use past abuses as a crutch. i.e. Al sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and now the Marxist movement. Oh, and theDNC.

It’s a tricky one for sure, trying to understand what’s in the heart and mind of other people.

I don’t pretend to know what they meant at the time. What I do know is slavery, while horrible, was another man made tragedy, born out of sin, that God used for his glory.

I don’t have the wisdom, knowledge or insight to be able to walk back the timeline from so many amazing things that have happened in this country by some amazing people of color that would not have happened without slavery.

I’m not justifying it. I’m not defending it. But in everything God has a plan. He has and will continue to use the suffering of man to further His kingdom.

This is a fact that causes people to struggle with their faith. Death and suffering of good people and a belief in God that allows it to happen. The easy explanation is “God works in mysterious ways”. The hard explanation is we, none of us, were promised a life free of suffering. Men are imperfect. I believe the men who wrote that document all those years ago were doing the best they could with what they had to work with and meant what they wrote even though the actions of some didn’t reflect it at the time.