Thread: Fish Finder Power Source

Default Fish Finder Power Source

I知 sure this is a dumb question but I知 getting conflicting opinions. I have a small jon boat with only a trolling motor. I bought a fish finder and I知 not sure about how to power it. I was told it could power it to the same battery I use for my trolling motor. I知 reading online this can cause interference. Any suggestions to save me some time and frustration would be appreciated. As you can tell, I知 pretty uninformed on fishing.

You can. Some electric motors might cause some radio interference when running, which could it not to function well. Probably not going to a problem though. Hook it up and try while in the water. Will most likely be fine and won’t damage a thing

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. 宥eorge Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I’d wire it to the cranking battery before the trolling motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I’d wire it to the cranking battery before the trolling motor.
    Read. Small john boat with only a trolling motor

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. 宥eorge Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Wire it to the trolling battery and roll on
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    Read. Small john boat with only a trolling motor
    No mattress for you!

It’s not going to damage a damn thing. You may notice some interference at a certain speed on the trolling motor. If you can’t live with it, buy a lawnmower battery specifically for the fishfinder and roll on. This is a non issue.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

No need to even go as large as a lawn motor battery. What size/model is the fish finder. I ran a 22 amp hour SLA battery like you would find in a an electric wheel chair to power a Humminbird Helix 7 SI for the longest time in my kayak before swapping over to lithium batteries. I could run it for 20 hours of continuous use and still not kill it. If you have a more basic model than that you could likely go even smaller on the battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Ba...3914630&sr=8-3
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

It’s a Garmin Striker Plus 4CV. Sounds like trying it with the trolling battery can’t hurt. Thanks for responses.

Your fish finder draws 400mA of power. If the trolling motor battery causes interference for you then pick up a little 12aH SLA battery like the one I’ve linked below. I just ran the numbers and a 12aH battery would power that model for 15 hours of continuous use. That should be more than enough for a good fishing trip!

https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-E...3953177&sr=8-3
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Ring King. Thanks for all the arithmetic. Much appreciated and I think that might be what I’m gonna end up doing. Thanks for the info from all those who responded.

Garmin striker here too, John boat with just a trolling motor. Have not run a battery dead yet fishing flood control reservoirs up to 8 hours on a trip but always on a fresh charges battery. I used male/female stakons on the power cable and pigtails with ring terminals.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

And have transducer mounted on trolling motor and it causes no interference that I can tell. Pick up a stainless hose clamp instead of using the zip tie that comes with it. Think I got mine at Lowe’s, a dryer hose clamp.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Thanks SpurHunter

I run mine on my kayak with a 12 volt 10 amp hour battery.