Thread: Saltwater

Default Saltwater

For those with more experience than myself. Headed down to the coast and was wanting to take my aluminum boat to fish some of the inlets. Wanting to know best procedures for taking care of it afterwards or is it even worth it to expose the motor, boat and trailer...
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Is your trailer galv or aluminum ?

Wash and flush
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

I see aluminum boats every day in the waters. Do exactly as wbrown says, car wash with soap and pressure washer, then wash with freshwater as soon as you can, or hit a ICW/river freshwater dock and run it around for a few.

Aluminum trailer as well. Thanks.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Just make 100% sure none of your electrical stuff is grounded to hull. Big no no. Everything should be grounded to the battery. Or else the hull is giving negatively charged electrons to the circuits and you'll get pitting. Essentially the hull would be doing the job the anodes are supposed to do.

This of course is applicable for both fresh and salt, but salt just makes the process happen quicker.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Just make 100% sure none of your electrical stuff is grounded to hull. Big no no. Everything should be grounded to the battery. Or else the hull is giving negatively charged electrons to the circuits and you'll get pitting. Essentially the hull would be doing the job the anodes are supposed to do.

This of course is applicable for both fresh and salt, but salt just makes the process happen quicker.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Yeah everything is ground to the battery. Thanks fellas.

Saltwater is not battery acid. Just spray down everything and flush the motor and have fun. Spray down your tackle as well.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

If you dissolve an aluminum boat by using it in salt water, it will have been worth it.

Wash and flush and then watch it rust.