Thread: Been waiting on this . . .

Default Been waiting on this . . .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...ange-its-name/

My alma mater will probably buckle to the cancel culture. For those not in the know, Lee is buried on campus. The school’s honor system is based upon Lee’s principles. A good buddy of mine sits on the board of the General Redoubt which has raised hundreds of thousands to fight this movement. The decision will cost the school millions, but the endowment is so robust that I doubt the school cares. They will never see another penny from me if they change the name.
    Carolina Counsel

I do not get folks. If something bothered me about a particular school, I would just choose to attend a different school.

I have a letter Lee wrote about my great great grandfather, who was a student, when Lee was the president at Washington College. When my grandmother passed, the grandchildren were allowed to pick out one item from the house. I immediately went to that letter.

I too am concerned about my alma mater, a school founded by Episcopal Bishops, who were southern and a part of the confederacy. They have already altered the schools name years ago. I am sure many building, street names etc will succumb to the same fate.

Quote Originally Posted by darkcornerhunter View Post
    I do not get folks. If something bothered me about a particular school, I would just choose to attend a different school.
    Especially a private one. Reading what some of the staff and students said is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by darkcornerhunter View Post
    This black alum agrees with you. https://m.facebook.com/groups/100713...&__tn__=%2C%3B
    Carolina Counsel

The entire Citadrl history is founded on these times, the vast majority of buildings are named for SC Generals who had an early role in the school. It will be interesting to see what happens at the Citadel, VMI, W&L, UVa and many other historic schools in South. C of C, UNC, and USC are all very old but their early history seemed to be less linked to the Confederacy.
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 07-03-2020 at 09:36 AM.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau