Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Covid- Dying alone

Edited: Andy my wife’s my hero as well. Seems this site has eyes and ears everywhere. My apologies for whatever.....
    Last edited by beanhunter; 07-03-2020 at 09:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Everyone dies alone. The sooner you realize that the better off you are
    I'm sorry you feel that way Griff but given the choice to be there or not, I would want to be there for a loved one when they die.

What is going on in this thread? Makes me feel like I am taking crazy pills.

My ex has been a RT at Moore Regional in Pinehurst for about 14-15 years. She has always loved her job, but in the past few weeks she has broken down crying multiple times and now says she absolutely hates her job. It's not the extra work that she's having to do, it's the emotional toll of sitting and watching these patients begging to see their families, begging not to have to die alone in which many do. Over all Moore hasn't been hit that hard with very sick people nor deaths. I've tried to help her with the emotional part, but it's hard to do because she's a very emotional person to begin with. It's really sad because it's turned her into a crazy person. She won't leave the house unless she has to. She cleans her house 40x a day. She fusses at everyone for not wearing a mask. She's too blinded by what she sees with the dying patients to process that over all based on the numbers this virus isn't deadly.

AU is swabbing everybody because they get $100 each. The ice box for the morgue overrun, that never happened, is to be picked up Monday
    Last edited by SCDAWG; 07-04-2020 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Where? I'm having an elective surgery on Monday.
    Greenville.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Are y’all operating at 100% capacity
    Yes.

My wife’s is a nurse. Numbers are up in some places not in others. They knew this would eventually happen. Death rate among infected hasn’t changed and probably won’t. Numbers will grow, plateau, then decline. NOTHING will stop that. How fast it will happen is unknown.

When I was working in Indiana in May, I had to cancel a TURP (prostate resection) because he had been on a vent less than a month earlier...elective surgery less than 6 weeks out from The resolution of respiratory infection In an adult is a no-go. Looking into what was up with the guy...he came into ED with SHOB and fever. Immediately into isolation room. D-dimer elevated and CXR showing ground glass opacities bilaterally in lung bases. He was sent up to ICU with covid diagnosis. Test from ER comes back negative, but the still go with covid diagnosis and start him on azithromycin. Day two, pt goes into decline and was intubated. They start hydroxychloraquine. Foley difficult to place, so urologist places foley and determines that if pt makes it, he needs TURP for massive prostate hypertrophy. Three days later, pt better and extubated. Four days later, pt DC’d from hospital with a “code Happy.” A code happy is when a covid pt survives and is dc’d from hospital and they jam “happy” (the entire song) over the intercom and cheer the pts as they leave the hospital. I heard many code happy’s in my two weeks there. Anyhoo...the patient tested negative for covid 4 times during his stay. Infectious dz doc’s note said “pt is covid positive based on symptomology and presentation and response to interventions despite negative covid tests.” He also went on to reference the “high rate of false negatives” in his note to defend his diagnosis. Now...he ain’t exactly seeing things wrong...all the above mentioned presenting symptoms Support what they are saying happens with covid, and it did appear that the pt responded to the abx and hydroxy...but not so fast!

The urologist added cipro after cath revealed obvious UTI. So...pt walks in with giant prostate, prostatitis, and a raging bladder infection secondary to severe urine retention. Electrolytes balance becomes horribly unbalanced. Infection causes fever. Kidney dysfunction due to backed up plumbing results in capillary leakage in lungs resulting in said ground glass X-ray , and fluid stasis in warm, moist environment results in bacterial infection in lungs. Z-max helps. Foley insertion plus cipro helps with the undercarriage infection and relief of plumbing blockage resolves the acute renal insufficiency/failure. Pt gets better because those treatments helped with his true problem...which never was covid. He was dc’d from hospital with foley and was doing just fine when I had to tell him he had to wait two more weeks with that cath in to have a procedure that would actually fix his problem.

So, good, well-meaning doc’s flat could not see the forest for the covid. Had they thoroughly examined the man in the ER and talked to him, they would have likely done a bladder scan, realized his issue, attempted to cath him, call the urologistbti place foley, schedule him for surgery...taken him to surgery, and he’s have been going home. Instead of going home fixed, they were intubating him in ICU knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt he had Covid.

Covid is real, and we do not understand it well. That said, I don’t trust the first f’n number or statistic that anyone, anywhere has posted or reported. I’ve never seen such a cluster fugg regarding data and care, and there is no way on earth any numbers being reported from anyone are accurate...no possible way.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 07-04-2020 at 09:47 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Greenville.
    Not sure what field you're in, but I'm having surgery at Patewood Monday morning.

Interesting post on the misdiagnosis UTI with Covid. As a patient, I would be pissed. (Pun intended)

Back on topic with a couple questions.

Does anyone have a reasonable guess how much longer the hospitals will be restricting visitors for Covid and non Covid patients?

And if the visitor restrictions were to continue an indeterminate period, is there a need for education or technology assistance for patients to be able to face time with their loved ones that can't come visit them in the hospital?
    Last edited by scatter shot; 07-05-2020 at 06:36 AM.

My bro in law found out a guy in his office had it so he had to get tested on Tuesday it cam back positive. He and i spent all last weekend together fishing in edisto while he had the virus. We were in the truck together for a total of 5 hours. I drank after him on the boat 2 times that I know of by mistake. I went and got tested because I figured there is no way I don’t have it. The test came back negative.... now his wife has it too. They are both feeling fine and still even exercising daily. The only symptom they both had was a little congestion.

I will be honest and say I was aggravated when I found out I did not have. I am ready to be done with it, i have been sick before and I will take my chances.
    Last edited by santee11; 07-05-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    When I was working in Indiana in May, I had to cancel a TURP (prostate resection) because he had been on a vent less than a month earlier...elective surgery less than 6 weeks out from The resolution of respiratory infection In an adult is a no-go. Looking into what was up with the guy...he came into ED with SHOB and fever. Immediately into isolation room. D-dimer elevated and CXR showing ground glass opacities bilaterally in lung bases. He was sent up to ICU with covid diagnosis. Test from ER comes back negative, but the still go with covid diagnosis and start him on azithromycin. Day two, pt goes into decline and was intubated. They start hydroxychloraquine. Foley difficult to place, so urologist places foley and determines that if pt makes it, he needs TURP for massive prostate hypertrophy. Three days later, pt better and extubated. Four days later, pt DC’d from hospital with a “code Happy.” A code happy is when a covid pt survives and is dc’d from hospital and they jam “happy” (the entire song) over the intercom and cheer the pts as they leave the hospital. I heard many code happy’s in my two weeks there. Anyhoo...the patient tested negative for covid 4 times during his stay. Infectious dz doc’s note said “pt is covid positive based on symptomology and presentation and response to interventions despite negative covid tests.” He also went on to reference the “high rate of false negatives” in his note to defend his diagnosis. Now...he ain’t exactly seeing things wrong...all the above mentioned presenting symptoms Support what they are saying happens with covid, and it did appear that the pt responded to the abx and hydroxy...but not so fast!

The urologist added cipro after cath revealed obvious UTI. So...pt walks in with giant prostate, prostatitis, and a raging bladder infection secondary to severe urine retention. Electrolytes balance becomes horribly unbalanced. Infection causes fever. Kidney dysfunction due to backed up plumbing results in capillary leakage in lungs resulting in said ground glass X-ray , and fluid stasis in warm, moist environment results in bacterial infection in lungs. Z-max helps. Foley insertion plus cipro helps with the undercarriage infection and relief of plumbing blockage resolves the acute renal insufficiency/failure. Pt gets better because those treatments helped with his true problem...which never was covid. He was dc’d from hospital with foley and was doing just fine when I had to tell him he had to wait two more weeks with that cath in to have a procedure that would actually fix his problem.

So, good, well-meaning doc’s flat could not see the forest for the covid. Had they thoroughly examined the man in the ER and talked to him, they would have likely done a bladder scan, realized his issue, attempted to cath him, call the urologistbti place foley, schedule him for surgery...taken him to surgery, and he’s have been going home. Instead of going home fixed, they were intubating him in ICU knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt he had Covid.

Covid is real, and we do not understand it well. That said, I don’t trust the first f’n number or statistic that anyone, anywhere has posted or reported. I’ve never seen such a cluster fugg regarding data and care, and there is no way on earth any numbers being reported from anyone are accurate...no possible way.
    Thanks for that story, one thing I know about most doctors and understandably is they will absolutely never admit it if they are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    My bro in law found out a guy in his office had it so he had to get tested on Tuesday it cam back positive. He and i spent all last weekend together fishing in edisto while he had the virus. We were in the truck together for a total of 5 hours. I drank after him on the boat 2 times that I know of by mistake. I went and got tested because I figured there is no way I don’t have it. The test came back negative.... now his wife has it too. They are both feeling fine and still even exercising daily. The only symptom they both had was a little congestion.

I will be honest and say I was aggravated when I found out I did not have. I am ready to be done with it, i have been sick before and I will take my chances.

Allen?

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Now, you may think, what the hell is old Scatter Shot doing on the WWW at 3:30am in the morning. Truth be told, I've been up since 2:00am almost everyday for the last two weeks due to post operation insomnia. Seven of those sleepless nights were under the care of nurses like the one in the video above. They are all heroes in my eyes and here's a shout out to the nurses that took care of me.
    I went into Richland Memorial Hospital for open heart surgery on 06/19/20. Driving in that morning the wife and I knew that upon arrival and once they rolled me back she would not be able to be with me again until she came back to pick me up the following week and take me home.
    While I wasn't in a Covid unit during recovery, my nurses were still under the additional stress of being the most direct, primary point of contact between the sickest patients and their families due to the hospital's no visitation rules. I was very fortunate that my procedure went very well and I was able to take care of myself and stay in touch with my loved ones via face time.
    I got to learn a lot about the people taking care of me during my stay. I can say without exception that everyone was very professional and capable. No matter their nationality or the color of their skin, these folks really cared for the people they were charged with. During my week there, several nurses shared their stories with me as they described the emotional heartbreak of face timing with the families of terminal patients. And this is the whole reason for my post and I didn't want it to get buried in the Wearing a Face Mask thread.

Folks, please practice social distancing and wear a face mask when out and about at the grocery store. While the efficacy of wearing a face mask is debatable, if there is the slightest chance they help, why wouldn't you wear one? I've seen the emotional and physical toll it has taken on our front line, health care workers. These folks are heroes and are putting themselves in harms way every day to take care of us and our families.
    Quit being a hard ass, wear the damn mask.
    perspective is a bitch, aint she?

I appreciate what you typed. Hopefully, it will hit home somewhere....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Allen?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    Be glad you don’t have it, I’m just getting over it, it kicked my ass for almost 2 weeks. Wife and little boy tested positive as well although they’re symptoms aren’t nearly as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Be glad you don’t have it, I’m just getting over it, it kicked my ass for almost 2 weeks. Wife and little boy tested positive as well although they’re symptoms aren’t nearly as bad.
    Glad you're doing better.what was your symptoms like?

Quote Originally Posted by Coot_Commander View Post
    Glad you're doing better.what was your symptoms like?
    Started with a slight fever and a headache, 2 days later I couldn’t sleep my lower back and my hip hurt so bad. That lasted 3 days. After that for e next week it was constant fever, everything tasting very weird, headache, cough and chills. The fever broke last Friday and I’ve been quarantined exactly 2 weeks today. Hope I can get back to work tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest, hr won’t let me near the place until I get a doctors note clearing me and the DR is slow returning calls.