Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Covid- Dying alone

Default Covid- Dying alone

The wear a mask or not thread should make everyone pause and think about the decisions that we make. Our decisions and the consequences impacts a lot of people.
    I think our front line health care workers are heroes and should be duly recognized and thanked for what they do.

Now, you may think, what the hell is old Scatter Shot doing on the WWW at 3:30am in the morning. Truth be told, I've been up since 2:00am almost everyday for the last two weeks due to post operation insomnia. Seven of those sleepless nights were under the care of nurses like the one in the video above. They are all heroes in my eyes and here's a shout out to the nurses that took care of me.
    I went into Richland Memorial Hospital for open heart surgery on 06/19/20. Driving in that morning the wife and I knew that upon arrival and once they rolled me back she would not be able to be with me again until she came back to pick me up the following week and take me home.
    While I wasn't in a Covid unit during recovery, my nurses were still under the additional stress of being the most direct, primary point of contact between the sickest patients and their families due to the hospital's no visitation rules. I was very fortunate that my procedure went very well and I was able to take care of myself and stay in touch with my loved ones via face time.
    I got to learn a lot about the people taking care of me during my stay. I can say without exception that everyone was very professional and capable. No matter their nationality or the color of their skin, these folks really cared for the people they were charged with. During my week there, several nurses shared their stories with me as they described the emotional heartbreak of face timing with the families of terminal patients. And this is the whole reason for my post and I didn't want it to get buried in the Wearing a Face Mask thread.

Folks, please practice social distancing and wear a face mask when out and about at the grocery store. While the efficacy of wearing a face mask is debatable, if there is the slightest chance they help, why wouldn't you wear one? I've seen the emotional and physical toll it has taken on our front line, health care workers. These folks are heroes and are putting themselves in harms way every day to take care of us and our families.
    Quit being a hard ass, wear the damn mask.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 07-03-2020 at 03:39 AM.

Glad to read you are on the mend. Hope you recover quickly.

My better half is a NP for the largest health care provider in Georgia. She is struggling. Mainly from workload and stress. I don't think that most healthcare professionals consider themselves heroes. It's a calling like many jobs. Most love serving humanity. My woman is my hero. I try to support her as best as I can .. the Covid19 is no joke nor hoax. Over here COVID ICU numbers are increasing again. This virus won't be contained completely until there is a vaccine.

The debate about the whys, wherefores, who, and whats don't matter. It is real. Some people are dying and most aren't. Appears the best way to battle this virus is to just self quarantine if you are high risk. Shutting down the daily lives of the majority of the populace won't end the spread of an invisible, airborne bug. A mask won't totally protect anyone.

My late brother was a noted Anesthesiologist for Emory. He best described it as the " frailty of the human condition".

We all have an expiration date. It's how you live that counts. Go enjoy your life to the best of your ability.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I am a physician. We are cancelling elective surgeries due to no beds. We have closed our recovery room and converted it to an ICU. People are dying. Social distance. Wear the fucking mask.

My wife’s grandma fell and broke her hip mid-May. Had surgery, hospitalized, sent to nursing home for rehab, no one could go see her. Sent to Assisted living, no one could go see her. Assisted living facility neglected her, she coded Sunday, went to ICU at hospital, tested negative for Coronavirus. We’re laying her to rest today. Coronavirus is on her death certificate. Bunch of horse shit. Not saying it isn’t real, but their method of getting their numbers is a crock. My pastor’s wife is a RN, and he told us the other day that 90% of the RN’s at her work are being laid off for nursing restructuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    I am a physician. We are cancelling elective surgeries due to no beds. We have closed our recovery room and converted it to an ICU. People are dying. Social distance. Wear the fucking mask.
    Where? I'm having an elective surgery on Monday.
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 07-03-2020 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Are y’all operating at 100% capacity
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Let’s just say that I know a cardiac ICU nurse very week and at her hospital they are not over run with vivid patients and have only had 2 that have gone on a vent. Large hospital and yes just 2 have been put on a ventilator. With the actual death rate of this virus I’d say a nurses chances of dying from it are less than them catching hepatitis from a needle stick
    80-20 Genaration

I was in the er last Wednesday. They said the rush of folks coming in was long gone. The newness of think they had the virus is gone. They are laying folks off.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Are y’all operating at 100% capacity
    Valid question.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post
    Valid question.
    There was an article on an upstate news channel this week saying AnMed was 94% full, the way it was worded led you to believe it was packed with China flu patients.

A day or so later it was reported that the hospital was running on a limited staff and they had closed a large number of rooms and less than a dozen I think were corona related. Basically the hospital had cut their current operating capacity in half and that’s what was at 94%

Greenville hospitals are pretty full. Not maxed but full.
    Carolina Counsel

Yes, I know the local hospitals are not being over run with Covid patients.
    Yes, I know that many hospitals are not doing elective surgeries and this has resulted in empty rooms and laid off staff.

The whole point is that it's already a difficult job being a nurse. With the new role that nurses have to take on due to Covid and the no visitor rules, it becomes much more difficult for them.
    When a nurse has a sick or terminal patient whether it's from Covid, heart disease, cancer, etc. there's not going to be a family member sitting bedside taking care of their loved ones. Nurses are filling the gap, helping the families face time, sometimes going downstairs to talk to a loved one in person, making middle of the night phone calls.
    I saw it first hand during my stay at RMH last week and just wanted to give a shout out to those that are on the front lines during this pandemic. I was very impressed with what I saw.

A NURSE'S PRAYER. Dear Lord, thou Great Healer. May they great strength and power flow through me and lend skill to my hands and vision. Judgment to my mind and Compassion to my heart. Grant me the strength to minister to my Patients in their hour of suffering and travail. Make me worthy, Oh Lord, of this saintly task.

My Nurse is just praying to make it to retirement. Being a nurse is a tough damn job.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

My wife's uncle had open heart surgery back in December. He wasn't healthy before the surgery and had a tough time recovering from it. He ended up having to go back into the hospital late February when things really started to kick off. He passed away the last week of May. It became obvious a couple days before he passed he wasn't going to make it and his wife and two daughters asked to go see him and were told no. After two days of begging the doctors they were finally allowed to go see him for an hour. After the visit was over he died before they even make it to the parking lot to leave. I don't care who you are or what you believe that's hard to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    There was an article on an upstate news channel this week saying AnMed was 94% full, the way it was worded led you to believe it was packed with China flu patients.

A day or so later it was reported that the hospital was running on a limited staff and they had closed a large number of rooms and less than a dozen I think were corona related. Basically the hospital had cut their current operating capacity in half and that’s what was at 94%
    AnMed has something like 450(+/-) beds, total. As of two weeks ago, they had six (6) Covid-19 patients, which was pretty much their daily average the last few months. Last Thursday they were up to 18, and as of yesterday that climbed to 32, with a little over 40% in ICU beds. They are presently doing elective surgeries, but with the recent climbing numbers they are looking at re-configuring their floor plan assignments and discussing limiting elective surgeries as needed.

I do not know what they had cut their operating capacity to, but do know that some operations/departments are still shut down with some staff on furlough. They will apparently be re-instituting the visitation restrictions soon that they had until a few weeks ago like every other hospital and nursing facility.

scatter shot, first, I'm glad to hear you came through your surgery OK. Good luck on your extended recovery. Second, I completely agree with your commentary on nurses and healthcare workers overall. I can't imagine dealing with all of the personal aspects of the stress and family interfaces that they are now put in a position to do.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

My daughter starts as a BSN-RN on the 13th. She always knew she wanted to be a nurse, well a NP. She still receives her signing bonus. The floor she is going to work on currently has 6 Covid patients. She has the spirit of a caretaker like her mom, especially with the elderly and children. I have probably followed Covid more than I should due to her. But they have the PPE needed now. Still talk about being thrown in the fire yet USC and professors seem to have them mentally prepped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone dies alone. The sooner you realize that the better off you are
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    My wife's uncle had open heart surgery back in December. He wasn't healthy before the surgery and had a tough time recovering from it. He ended up having to go back into the hospital late February when things really started to kick off. He passed away the last week of May. It became obvious a couple days before he passed he wasn't going to make it and his wife and two daughters asked to go see him and were told no. After two days of begging the doctors they were finally allowed to go see him for an hour. After the visit was over he died before they even make it to the parking lot to leave. I don't care who you are or what you believe that's hard to swallow.
    Id have been in jail for assault
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.