Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plasma cutter, TIG welder combo?

Default Plasma cutter, TIG welder combo?

I have a little MIG welder that I love but I've been wanting a TIG welder and plasma cutter. I have very little welding experience. Does anyone have any first hand experience with some of the TIG/Plasma cutter combos that are available. I am only a hobbyist and don't need an industrial strength version. I'm looking for something similar to the one in the below link:

https://smile.amazon.com/Lotos-Techn...74XPTSRW27NETZ

I would run away from any kinda of combo unit. Esab leads the industry in Plasma cutters. I'm a Miller fan. All my equipment is Miller and runs great, including my plasma. My repair guy recently told me to stay away from L1ncoln anything other than engine driven machines.

You want a machine that can be serviced when needed and has parts available. I would think that would be a nightmare with that little machine you posted a link to.
    Last edited by Steelin' Ducks; 07-01-2020 at 03:27 PM.

I concur. I never liked the multi-process machines. If one "process" goes out, the whole machine is out to get fixed. Ditto on the L1ncoln machines. My repair guy said that when L1ncoln stops making a particular machine, they stop making parts for it as well. He can still get parts for Millers made in the 50's. You might not feel like that's a lot of money to lose if it craps out, but you can find good used machines if you look for them. Also, that rig won't tig aluminum, if that was one of the things you wanted to tinker with.
    Last edited by Bownut; 07-01-2020 at 06:09 PM.

The one I posted was a random one I grabbed off of Amazon. I was hoping to provoke someone into telling me about some other model that does a good job.

I get the aversion to multipurpose machines. Everything they do is a compromise. And when they break, everything is broken. The plasma cutter is secondary.
    I think I can get by with my angle grinder and oxyacetylene rig for cutting.

I just need a hobby grade welder. I've only used my MIG welder a handful of times but it really felt great to stick stuff together. I added a trailer ball to the golf cart and my wife thought I was a magician. I repaired some tractor implements and it made me want to beat my chest. I don't even have any projects in mind but I've wanted a TIG welder since I worked at the shipyard and got to see some real master welders do art.

There's a lot of strange lingo with welders. What are the specific characteristics, besides brand, that I should focus on for a TIG welder?

My MiG machine is a Miller and it’s great.

My TIG is a L!ncoln Square Wave 200 and it’s nice too Maybe not the least expensive, but a nice machine and going on four or so years of use. Ive never experienced any issues with it and compare its quality to the Miller I have.

My plasma cutter is a thermal dynamics machine, I’ve found it to be nice as well. Your bigger issue with the plasma is providing it enough air. You need a really nice compressor in order for it to work well and efficiently.

Anyway, my mindset is like the others, separate machines for each process instead of one for all.

A TIG machine will drive you insane. MIG is great. Solid wire is preferred but some cheap machines don’t have gas hook ups and have to use Flux Core, which is dirty and a plain to cleanup. Now we will not get into Flux Core with gas tonight because that will be over all of your heads.
    And then there is good old stick welding. Grab a 6011 and stick stuff together. Some less informed or old timers (Or even pipe welders) will tell you 6010. Now if it’s structural in nature or needs to look good use a 7018 rod. Now I know this is all very short and basic info but I’m trying to keep it on a 5 grade level for “hobby” welders.

PB, wish I could help but I’m just a home repairman who uses my ‘new’ Hobart 140 MIG to keep my bush hog in one piece, and eventually rebuild a second one for a backup. I was happy today when I gave it a real beating for fours hours and not one weld from this weekend cracked. Not bad for my first wire weld test this past weekend. My Miller stick welder is great, but the power source in the garage was mistakenly under-wired so it’s not really safe to use.

Steelin’, I’d be interested in your flux with gas info at some point, if you care to tell it.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

What’s the difference in the 6010’s and 6011?

I took a couple welding classes at tech and we learned to stick on the 6010 and 7018. I remember the instructor telling us the 6010s were better for farm type use because your material didn’t necessarily have to be as clean and they’d “cut” through paint and rust better. Is that true or have I gotten my facts confused over the years?

Always seemed to me the 6010 spit a lot more erratic spark than the 7018 but that could’ve been due to my lack of technique
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

The 6010 is a DC+ and the 6011 is AC, DC-, or DC+.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    What’s the difference in the 6010’s and 6011?

I took a couple welding classes at tech and we learned to stick on the 6010 and 7018. I remember the instructor telling us the 6010s were better for farm type use because your material didn’t necessarily have to be as clean and they’d “cut†through paint and rust better. Is that true or have I gotten my facts confused over the years?

Always seemed to me the 6010 spit a lot more erratic spark than the 7018 but that could’ve been due to my lack of technique
    Here’s the rundown on the number coding on electrodes. Just FYI.

https://www.tws.edu/blog/welding/wha...ng-electrodes/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a monster air compressor for a plasma cutter and made sure I got plenty of amperage at the farm. I had to fight with the zoning inspector to get 200 amp service to a shipping container.

I usually use gas, solid core with my MIG. I tried flux core and made uglier welds. My buddy who does a lot of welding just mentioned using flux core with gas and I decided I needed to try it.

I need to find a community college evening class that would give me some of the basics.

If you want a cheap welder just wait til Horrible Freight puts theirs on sale for about 1-fiddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Gas shielded flux core is for 1/2" minimum, 3/8" with some experience. It is HOT.

Witht the exception of field work with dirty rusty equipment, 7018s are the shit. 6010s for the former.

To pile on: Miller or ESAB for the welding machine.

Thermal Dynamics for the plasma.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    The one I posted was a random one I grabbed off of Amazon. I was hoping to provoke someone into telling me about some other model that does a good job.

I get the aversion to multipurpose machines. Everything they do is a compromise. And when they break, everything is broken. The plasma cutter is secondary.
    I think I can get by with my angle grinder and oxyacetylene rig for cutting.

I just need a hobby grade welder. I've only used my MIG welder a handful of times but it really felt great to stick stuff together. I added a trailer ball to the golf cart and my wife thought I was a magician. I repaired some tractor implements and it made me want to beat my chest. I don't even have any projects in mind but I've wanted a TIG welder since I worked at the shipyard and got to see some real master welders do art.

There's a lot of strange lingo with welders. What are the specific characteristics, besides brand, that I should focus on for a TIG welder?
    I love this image
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anytime I finish any project around the house, I overtly dust my hands off in front of my wife. I try not to do it while she's doing laundry or pushing the vacuum cleaner around.

I really appreciate the replies. I've already learned some stuff.

Flux core with gas works better for thicker stuff. Miller or ESAB for the welding machine. Thermal Dynamics for the plasma. That's nice to know.

I hadn't planned on getting a buzz box stick welder but could be talked into it. I think my little MIG will get me through most projects I have in mind but I just want that TIG. The most highly skilled nuclear qualified welders at the shipyard did the prettiest work with a TIG welder. I feel like real welders probably sneer at newbs talking about welding with a wire-fed MIG. And who wouldn't want a plasma cutter?

MIG has its place, even in the professional world. It doesnt command the pay that the other processes do, especially when you get into specialty metals.

I think SMAW is only second to FCAW in portability. If it wasnt for the gas bottles youd see more in shipyards and construction sites. GTAW is the cleanest, but the slowest.

MIG is probably all you need, and you can get some respectable beads with some practice. But I dont blame you for wanting to try TIG. If I have the time to expend on a project Ill TIG just because its more fun...

Biggest thing about Miller machines is you arent stuck with the torch supplied. All of my machines have aftermarket torches and tig rigs. You cant do that with a cheap machine.

Repairing the back side of a leaking coil in a reactor against the shell. That weld required a mirror.
    82854391-F5BF-46BF-AE4F-E86EB4271547.jpg
    Last edited by LMR; 07-02-2020 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Gas shielded flux core is for 1/2" minimum, 3/8" with some experience. It is HOT.
    Thanks for the info. I doubt I’ll ever have a use for it, but it’s good to know if something came up.

DropEm, all I can say is ‘My hat’s off you you. Incredible work’.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 07-02-2020 at 09:09 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'