Thread: Last Rifle post until Deer Season

Default Last Rifle post until Deer Season

I already posted the target on the left but went again on Monday to verify some tweaks I did to the scope and make sure things were working with a clean, cold rifle. The target on the right was from Monday.

I'm still having to use a 180 bullet in the top barrel and a 150 in the bottom but the 4-shot group (2 from each barrel) is not great but more than acceptable.

I still would prefer to have one barrel an inch maybe 2 inches high at 100 yards shooting the same bullet but as it stands I have a choice of taking my first shot with either a 150 or 180 grain bullet and a quick and accurate follow-up shot. The price for this is just having to keep up with which bullet goes where. I'm trying to make this easier on myself by using plain nosed Remington 150s and green ballistic tipped Nosler 180s. A colored sharpie marker on the bottom of the 180's makes it easy to check even when the gun is loaded.

I ran a ballistic program for a 150 in the top and bottom barrels and a 180 in the top barrel. Something I didn't really expect is that the 150 and 180 track each other almost perfectly out to 300 yards. And, putting a 150 in the top barrel gives me a gun that hits point of aim at 250 yards in case a coyote or beaver needs attention. I don't think I'd ever risk a 250 yard shot at a deer especially with a 5x scope. I'm just not comfortable shooting much over 100 yards with my current 8x scope. Besides, there's only one place I hunt where I can even see that far.

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I’m ready to see a picture of that rifle laid across a dead buck
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

My adopted uncle has a Browning Express rifle in 270. He shoots a 130 in barrel and 150 in the other to get the barrels close at his chosen zero distance. I don’t remember which was which though. Classy firearm.