Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on Suzuki Outboards

Default Opinion on Suzuki Outboards

Looking at getting a new motor for my Triton 1756SC. It has a 50 Mercury on it now and is fixing to take a dump at anytime. I have looked at the Yamaha 70 but I think it is just a tad to heavy for boat. The Suzuki df60a looks to be the size I’m looking for and is way cheaper than Yamaha. I know a lot of saltwater charter boats are going to them but just don’t know a lot about them. Any experiences or opinions is much appreciated!

They are becoming more and more popular and get really good reviews in a lot of different sizes. Ive seen a bunch of boats repowered with them lately. They certainly are a couple thousand cheaper than Yamaha.

I have heard good things as well and know many are going that way due to price and reliability. Service is getting easier as more are on the water.

I believe in some previous models they had metallurgy issues and the block would corrode.

I've had small 2 strokes (25s and 40s) and large 4 strokes (DF300s). All of my experiences with all things Suzuki have been outstanding. Several years ago when I was looking to repower a pair of Yamaha 250s that came victim to the exhaust corrosion, Suzuki 300s were approximately $12,000 cheaper then the equivalent Yamahas for the pair. Suzuki's fly-by-wire shifting is far superior to Yamaha as well in my opinion.

I had a 90 on my pontoon and never had a minutes trouble out of it. Would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Work horses.

Before the feds swooped in and shut down the private Cape Lookout ferries up and down the Downeast quarter, you didn't see a skiff without a Suzuki on it.

The small commercial guys seem to like them as well.

From what I remember, early on in the 4 stroke game, the Suzuki stuff ran a bit of a different gear ratio that catered to the commercial guys. Lots of torque, not a speed demon. That may be different now.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Work horses.

Before the feds swooped in and shut down the private Cape Lookout ferries up and down the Downeast quarter, you didn't see a skiff without a Suzuki on it.

The small commercial guys seem to like them as well.

From what I remember, early on in the 4 stroke game, the Suzuki stuff ran a bit of a different gear ratio that catered to the commercial guys. Lots of torque, not a speed demon. That may be different now.
    My 300s back in the late 2000's had a lot larger lower unit, stronger ratio, and were able to swing much larger wheels

I heard sea tow was reporting with Suzuki? I’ve also heard nothing but good things out of them recently.

Had a 3 cylinder 30hp at one time. Great motor
    80-20 Genaration

Sounds like Suzuki for the win. I’m not looking for a speed demon. The family and I mostly use the boat to fish inshore creeks and occasionally run Black River. I’m looking at getting a Pioneer Sportfish down the road it blows my mind at the difference in money between Yamaha and Suzuki. Dealer told me yesterday when pricing motors for the Triton that Suzuki was not going to stay that cheap for long due to trying to increase market share.

Funny y’all mention this. Currently deciding between F300s and DF300s. I keep reading great things in the DF300s.

Similar to what Turbo said, I think the 60 Zuke comes in 2 gearcase options. I'd get the smaller gearcase option if it was me. The big gear case option i think is like 2.4:1 or some kind of ridiculous tractor gears. IMO thats just a little unnecessary for a 17' jon boat.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Definitely getting the smaller gear case.

Got a couple of buddies that went the Suzuki route on their larger 20'+ aluminum boats. They all seem highly satisfied and definitely liked the lower price.

Df300 here and love it. Was always a Yamaha man but will take the Zuki over Yami now. More bottom end, turn bigger wheel, more torque, better efficiency, and quiet like you got to look to see if it’s peeing.
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

Quote Originally Posted by white quacker View Post
    and quiet like you got to look to see if it’s peeing.
    Can confirm. They are extremely quiet. Loudest noise they make at idle is the pee stream hitting the water
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

The manual literally states to not use the Suzuki brand in saltwater. They may have the best warranty out there, but they will not warranty corrosion, and that's exactly what kills those motors. They're good for about 2.5 years and then the salt water corrosion takes over.

My boat has a Suzuki on it, bought it from my cousin but it had been a year or so since I’d been on the water in it and we took it for a test run the day I bought it. I backed the boat in and he was sitting in the back of the boat at the engine when I stepped off the dock into it and I had to ask him if it was running at the moment it was so quiet
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Love2labs View Post
    The manual literally states to not use the Suzuki brand in saltwater. They may have the best warranty out there, but they will not warranty corrosion, and that's exactly what kills those motors. They're good for about 2.5 years and then the salt water corrosion takes over.
    That for certain motors in the line or all of them because they’re hanging 3-4 DF300’s of DF350’s on $600,000+ boats that see fresh water when they’re washed.

I know quite a few guys with Susie’s, they’re biggest issue was local service.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Love2labs View Post
    That's nothing short of absurdity....How many have you owned that this has happened to?? How about the thousands of Yamahas that had problems with corrosion that were not warranted? I have personally dealt with not only exhaust corrosion, but a corroded head and lower block on a pair of Yamaha F250s with 500 hrs. These motors were flushed religiously and maintained with the very definition of "open checkbook".

I have owned 3x DF300s and all of them are still running today with absolutely zero corrosion issues with well into the mid-teens on the hour meter. The only time they ever saw fresh water came out of a hose or a trip or two in the ditch above G-town
    Last edited by FishSticker; 07-01-2020 at 10:41 AM.